GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
I sure hope this works out. I think Michelin makes the best car tires and have been wanting them to make tires for motorcycles; especially if they get the mileage they are advertising here...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haven't seen this posted, thanks. I will need new tires shortly and if they have them rated for the 1800 I will give them a try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not for us

I look for 180/60r/16 they dont seem to have any but they do service Harleys
:shrug:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I sure hope this works out. I think Michelin makes the best car tires and have been wanting them to make tires for motorcycles; especially if they get the mileage they are advertising here...
So do I. Back in the days of the GL1500, I knew a couple of people who tried Michelin and they had lamination problems. I know that was then and this is now, but...? They look like they have a great tread pattern, and they use the silica technology which is good in the rain. Be interesting to watch. BTW, we routinely get 80,000 to 90,000 on a set of their car tires. Wouldn't that be great for a motorcycle?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Nothing new for Michelin, lots of folks been using them for a while now.

Its called the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP RunFlat. Excellent reviews.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
it'll take a lot of positive reports before I even think of installing another Michelin on a Wing. Back in the mid-80's, I tried Michelins and they were both the best and worst tires I ever rode. In Alberta, tar snakes can be real hazardous to your health in rain, since they are slick as snot. I got tired of the back end waggling that much, and opted to try the Michelins because they were "sticky" compared the the OEMs. They were truly sticky, never had any slipping on the snakes or wet pavement ... BUT ... at 5000 Kilometer (just over 3000 miles) the back tire blew out on me ... fist sized hole, in a tire that seemed to still have a fair amount of life when we left home 50 miles before.
At the price of the tire(s), I sure expected to get more then 3000 miles! And that was back when I was anal about checking the tire pressure before each ride. The only good thing was that the tire didn't throw us off the road, I was easily able to bring the bike to a safe stop on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
If they make a front that will fit the wing, I will give it a shot!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: depending on the price!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If Michelin makes a size to fit the Wing, I will have to consider it. I have tried E3's on my '04 and they started cupping and making noise almost immediately. Went to Avon Cobra's at the recommendation of a mechanic, and they are quiet after a very few thousand miles, but they are much worse on tar snakes than the E3's.

Funny the bias ply E3's on my '86 Venture Royale are wearing perfect, and quiet, wish the radials on the Wing were that good!

Tires almost as much fun as an oil thread! :eek:4:

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Using the link in the OP post, I emailed Michelin to ask them about tires for the GL1800. Here is their response:

"Thank you for your request for Michelin motorcycle tires for your Honda GL1800 motorcycle. However, we do not currently offer replacement tires for this model. We will however, forward your information to our Marketing Department for future consideration."

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Using the link in the OP post, I emailed Michelin to ask them about tires for the GL1800. Here is their response:

"Thank you for your request for Michelin motorcycle tires for your Honda GL1800 motorcycle. However, we do not currently offer replacement tires for this model. We will however, forward your information to our Marketing Department for future consideration."
End of story, period, finito, no mas, basta, gamarnoo, fin.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Paul.Thank you for trying to see if Michelin will be building a tire for the GL1800.

It seemed clear to me that if Michelin was going to consider building a tire for the 1800 it would of been out there by now,Seeing the bike was first built in 2001.

It makes no marketing sense to jump in this late in the game with a new tire,When R&D bucks are tight for all businesses in this economy.:shrug:

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
Paul.Thank you for trying to see if Michelin will be building a tire for the GL1800.

It seemed clear to me that if Michelin was going to consider building a tire for the 1800 it would of been out there by now,Seeing the bike was first built in 2001.

It makes no marketing sense to jump in this late in the game with a new tire,When R&D bucks are tight for all businesses in this economy.:shrug:
Yup, agree with you Rocky. It's too bad, because like good_w2 says in post #2 above, I've also been real happy with Michelin car tires.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Too bad. The Michelin Pilot Road II's I ran on my R1200RT were awesome tires. Great grip, and I routinely got 16K on the rear and 22K on the front. Wish they made a tire for the Wing.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Perhaps Michelin is staying away from tires for the 1800 because tires on the back of the 1800s are often stressed both by overloading and riding the bike like a sports bike. Personally I prefer a rear tire with twice the load carrying capacity rating of what I will be placing on it. Therefore a car tire.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Nothing new for Michelin, lots of folks been using them for a while now.

Its called the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP RunFlat. Excellent reviews.
Yep, The first two weeks of July, my wife and I rode my Michelin Primacy rear tire through Alabama; Mississippi; Tennessee; Arkansas; Oklahoma; Kansas; Colorado and back. On this trip we rode it in 108 degrees to 38 degrees temps and on a lot of dangerous twisty paved and unpaved roads over 14,000 ft high in those two weeks. It is the best tire I have ever rode on. So Michelin already makes the best rear tire for the Goldwing!

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts

But didn't the press release hint that there's be two more sizes released next year?

The way I see it... there's still hope!

·
Canuck
2,826 Posts
But didn't the press release hint that there's be two more sizes released next year?

The way I see it... there's still hope!
Yup. The press release says "Thirteen sizes will be available from September 2011, while two other sizes will be released at the beginning of next year." I would have thought the GL1800 would be one of those sizes. Maybe the press has a better handle on what's happening at Michelin than Michelin Consumer Care? I'll respond back to them with this and see what they have to say.

EDIT - Here is the email I just sent to Michelin:

Thank you for your quick response. In the press release http://www.michelin.com/corporate/EN/news/products/article?articleID=N20110823_cp_commanderII_EN it says that testing has been done on Harley Davidson motorcycles. It also goes on to say that "Thirteen sizes will be available from September 2011, while two other sizes will be released at the beginning of next year." In your response you said Michelin does not currently offer replacement tires for the Honda GL1800 Gold Wing. What will happen in Sept. or the beginning of next year? Will Michelin then offer replacement tires for the Honda GL1800 Gold Wing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts