GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to need tires in the near future for my 03 wing. Which direction shall I go. Avon, Metzler, Dunlop or Bridestone. Cant remember whats on it currently since its tucked away for the winter. I will stockpile with the next Directline sale.
TYIA

Winger53213 :)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Haven't had a chance to try the Avons, but the Metzs sure have done a great job for me. Much prefer them to Bridgestones or Dunlops.

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
your 03 came with Dunlops, like Bob I am very happy with my Metzlers.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ditto Bob and Cycledude, Metzlers have been excellent for me.

·
Registered
17,035 Posts
But, can he even get a set of Metzs? I thought they were out of stock on fronts and have been for quite a spell; no, yes?

prs

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else when it comes to Metz. Once I got a front Metz that didn't wobble, they were great. I might be willing to go with the Avons though because I had them on my GL1500 and absolutely loved them. They felt as good as the ill fated Michelin radials. It will be interesting to hear from those that have purchased the Avons. I am particularly interested in the mileage they get. Not sure about Metz availability.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I must be the odd one out, I have had no trouble with the Dunlops, wear is good, no wobble and realy haven't had a wet riding traction problem with them and they are still treating me good with 11000 miles on them. :sw1: :flg: [/quote]

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dunlops

I would have to second what drvr said about the Dunlops. I currently have over 14000 miles on mine and have been very happy with them. The front has cupped, but I understand that is going to happen to all of them. I am looking for new tires as I figure to only have about 1500 miles max left on the Dunlops. I have not experienced this mystical slipping in wet weather that I have heard so much about.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also would like to know more about the slipping Dunlops.... Don't want to start a tire war for sure.... I have felt slight slippage myself but I have had that with several types of tires... Are there any reports of anyone actually going down with Dunlops on ?? I read on one of the forums that someone with new Avons was having problems at 7 k miles.....Anyone know when Metzlers will be available ???
Ride Safe All,
Ron,
Spokane

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ron,
I slipped on a wet tar snake when my Lops had about 500 miles on them. I was only going about 10mph. I was turning left into a right curve so banking was reversed but the contact angle wasn't critical. They improved or I got used to them. I don't know which. The problem that I see is that the rear Lop has no tread in the center. You have a slick for all practical purposes when riding straight up. I'm waiting for a front Metz.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I usually stay out of the tire wars. I'm on my 3rd set of Dunlops. I never had a problem with them. I get about 14-15,000 from them. My bike felt smoother with the Dunlops than with the factory Bridgestones which only gave me 8000. On a dry road I'll scrape every part that will and the tires hold great. I've ridden in a lot of rain and have not had them slip. Tar strips are dangerous no matter what kind of tires you have. I'm not a tire expert but I'm happy with the Dunlops and I've put over 32,000 miles on them.

On the other hand, I like to try different things. I'll probably try the Avons in the future. Not sure I'll try the Metzlers because of their problems.

I read in Rider Magazine several months ago that Michelin is working on a new tire for the 1800. Looks like they might be giving it another shot. If they do we'll have some real choices to make.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts