GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had new 'Stones put on yesterday and on the ride home all was well.
This morning I started up and noticed that the ABS light is now a constant on, so I'm thinking that the tech disturbed something, maybe didn't tighten down a sensor that just happened to rattle out of sync after I shut the bike down.
Anyone have this happen and is there an easy fix, like maybe find and tighten the sensor down?:shrug:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Check the right front caliper bolts. If they are loose or missing, the sensor can be out of position.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will take it back after work this afternoon.
This was noticed on the ride into work this morning.
What is interesting is that it wasn't present when I rode it home from the shop, but just occurred when I cranked it up and rode in this morning.
No gremlins in the meantime were found in the garage.
Hard to miss that bright red light so I know it was a clean ride home.
If the sensor were out of position from the get-go then the light should have been on.
I suppose it could be cracked or something, I have never gone looking for it so I'm not sure if that is possible.
The only thing that makes sense is that it was honked up when the tire was removed and replaced.
I will check the sensor for looseness when I get to the bike after work.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
DID YA CK AIR PRESSURE ? MAYBE SLOW LEAK N TRYING TO TELL YA SOMETHING :shrug::shrug:;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
ABS is different than the tire sensors. I have never messed with them on the bike but I know on an auto, dirt and trash can interfere with the signals. Also adjustment can effect operation. I'm with Techdude, bring it back.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
On some bikes if the air pressure gets very low the ABS light will come on.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Low tire pressure

On some bikes if the air pressure gets very low the ABS light will come on.
That's the way the tire pressure monitoring system works on my wifes 04 lexus. ABS monitors the speed of the wheels and if one turns faster, (lower pressure = smaller diameter) it signals a low tire warning. How it compensates for curves etc. is beyond me.

Rayjoe

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
That's the way the tire pressure monitoring system works on my wifes 04 lexus. ABS monitors the speed of the wheels and if one turns faster, (lower pressure = smaller diameter) it signals a low tire warning. How it compensates for curves etc. is beyond me.

Rayjoe
So it doesn't tell you the individual tire pressure? I thought all luxury cars had air pressure readout.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
04 LS 430 is too old for wheel sensors

So it doesn't tell you the individual tire pressure? I thought all luxury cars had air pressure readout.
The car is ten years old. It's an LS430. I think the newer style systems have sensors in the tires that give pressure readings.

The last time the warning came on I fixed the tire but forget how to cancel the warning. Now get this! I called the dealer and they insisted that my car had sensors in the tires. When I told them my car did not have sensors in the wheels the service adviser said "Then it will stay on forever."
I hung up on the stupid ass and got on the internet and found the fix in a lexus forum. I have given up on them as a source of information. This the third time they have given incorrect information!!

I guess they are used to dealing with people who do not read the owners manual, (it's about 500 pages in two books) and know nothing about mechanics.

I could rant some more about them but it's off the subject of the thread.

By the way, we love the car, bought it from the original owner with 44,000 miles on it. It has every option except sat. radio. Even has heated and cooled reclining seats front and rear, and a cool box between the rear seats that is cooled by the rear AC. That's right, a separate AC unit for the rear.

Now I'm really off subject.

WE LIKE THE CAR!!! Unhappy with the dealership.

Rayjoe

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
The car is ten years old. It's an LS430. I think the newer style systems have sensors in the tires that give pressure readings.

The last time the warning came on I fixed the tire but forget how to cancel the warning. Now get this! I called the dealer and they insisted that my car had sensors in the tires. When I told them my car did not have sensors in the wheels the service adviser said "Then it will stay on forever."
I hung up on the stupid ass and got on the internet and found the fix in a lexus forum. I have given up on them as a source of information. This the third time they have given incorrect information!!

I guess they are used to dealing with people who do not read the owners manual, (it's about 500 pages in two books) and know nothing about mechanics.

I could rant some more about them but it's off the subject of the thread.

By the way, we love the car, bought it from the original owner with 44,000 miles on it. It has every option except sat. radio. Even has heated and cooled reclining seats front and rear, and a cool box between the rear seats that is cooled by the rear AC. That's right, a separate AC unit for the rear.

Now I'm really off subject.

WE LIKE THE CAR!!! Unhappy with the dealership.

Rayjoe
That makes sense.

·
Registered
994 Posts
A lot of the GM vehicles were the same way in the late 90's.Low tire pressure was detected be the Wheel Speed Sensors.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,203 Posts
A lot of the GM vehicles were the same way in the late 90's.Low tire pressure was detected be the Wheel Speed Sensors.
Slightly off topic, but I think it's interesting anyway. Alot of the car ECMs can detect if a cylinder is missing and which one by detecting a change in the crankshaft speed using the crankshaft position sensor, neat stuff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So to wrap this up, I took the bike back to the shop and the tech readjusted the sensor, which was indeed out of alignment.
You never know with this kind of thing just what it can be, with so many electronic add-on to modern motorcycles they start to get beyond the basic shadetree level and force us shadetrees to bone up on new technology.
I have never had to use the ABS and in 40 years of riding have rarely had a tire skid on me so I wouldn't really miss it if it disappeared, but for resale issues all bells and whistles need to be present.
I took the bike to the local Triumph dealer, (my tires, both wheels on the bike - it's sometimes cheaper to remove them but I chose not to) who just happened to have changed my sons front tire and he was happy with the service.
The local Honda dealer wanted $50 more and this dealer services all kinds of bike so the familiarity with the system might have been lacking.
The service manager took it for a shakedown ride and commented that he had never ridden a Wing before and he was really impressed.
So was I after replacing the stock Dunlop 250s with Bridgestones, now it handles like a big sport bike instead of a trucky Wingabago.
Glad I made the change.
So, bottom line, they messed it up and they fixed it. I would use them again, and they have a really nice 675 Street Triple that caught my eye...:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Interest post about the built in electronics, and some GW riders want more to compete with the BMWs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts