GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a set of tires last week, Stone 709 front, Avon Venom 70 rear. They arrived Tuesday, had them installed yesterday morning before heading to work. I ride 100 miles a day round trip, rain or shine.

First impression. It's like night and day compared to the stock tires. These stick like glue, especially in the rain. No slippage whatsoever, even over wet stripes and such. Another thing, my wobble was gone which I had since I bought the bike.

Second impression. The front end felt "light", especially around 80-90, kinda like it wanted to float a little. If I was above or below that speed it would go away. I attribute it to two things, the tires being new and the 70 rear. I had Elite III's on my '05 with a 70 rear as well so I'm familiar with the pluses and minuses of running a 70 on the rear. Let me say that the front end did not "float" the same with the Elite III. It does not feel dangerous or uncontrollable in any way, just noticable.

Third impression. I checked the air first thing this morning and the front had 36 and the rear had 40. Based on some previous posts of others running the same combo, I put 44 in the front and 45 in the rear, then headed off to work. The "floating" was considerably less then yesterday although still there, maybe about 75% less than before. Something I can live with considering the performance of the tires and the benefits (to me) of the 70 rear.

Based on other riders posts, the "floating" should go away as I put more miles on the tires and the rear crown flattens a little. I will post an update next month since I should have a couple thousand miles on the tires by then.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am waiting for my 709 to arrive today with the matching 70 series stone for the rear to show uo shortly. This will be my first new set from stock, should be interesting. Keep the tire pressure comments coming if you change anything.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update on the tires. It's been 30 days since I put the tires on and all is well. I've logged 2,767 miles since then and the "floating" has gone away. It actually felt like it went away after about 1000 - 1500 miles. I suspect once the crown flattened out a little that was the end of that.

The tires stick like glue, especially in wet weather so my confidence in the rain is way up compared to the stock dunlops. I'm running 42 rear, 41 front and the wear looks even with no signs of any cupping. The rear 70 performs great with all the benifits outlined before.

I'll check back in another 30 days and see how they are holding up. I should have close to another 3,000 miles by then.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have about 500 miles on mine now 709 front 702 70 series rear and am experiencing a little of the wandering at higher speeds but nothing concerning. Absolutely no wobble on decel as I had on the stock Lops. The bike definetly goes into and out of turns with more ease and the tires make no noise at all no cupping but low miles as of now. Going to Harrison for the rally so will put a few more miles on it there. Running 41-41. I did find that after bringing the rear shock up to around 13 it felt better than the 5-7 I was running to try to get my feet closer to the ground.

·
Registered
164 Posts
New Tires

I hope you guys aren't riding like this on the first 100 to 200 miles on the new tires. There is a new tire break in to remove the mold release agent from the new tires.
Most all of the new tires I have used have a funny feeling for a couple hundred miles.
This is a safety issue.

Ride safe

Barney Biker

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: New Tires

Barney Biker said:
I hope you guys aren't riding like this on the first 100 to 200 miles on the new tires. There is a new tire break in to remove the mold release agent from the new tires.
Most all of the new tires I have used have a funny feeling for a couple hundred miles.
This is a safety issue.

Ride safe

Barney Biker
Nope, I know that drill. I put 150 easy miles on the tires the first day with gentle transistions in turns. Have heard the horror stories of leaving tire store and falling over on first turn because of leaning in too far.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
NESTOR
Running the same tire set up as you and had the same results. I dont like the gear ratios with the 70 r/tire here in the hills. Out in the flat to rolling hills it would be ok.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,760 Posts
I'm running a Bridgestone G709 on the front and a Avon Venom 60 series on the rear. I run 38psi in the front for a little softer ride. Feels great, except for the noisy rear Avon.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I just put on a set of Avon tires with the 70 series rear. I've put roughtly 1,500 miles on them already. Thus far I'm very happy with them. They stick great rain or shine and aren't showing any wear at all. I prefer the 70 rear as it sets my bike up a bit higher and makes my speedometer accurate to well within 2mph according to my GPS.

I put a set of their Venom R's on my VTX last year and had the same kind of experience. That's what prompted me to go with Avon tires for my Wing. The Avons on my VTX are holding up great and still sticking like glue to the roads in all kinds of weather.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts