GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What new tire would you buy right now?

• Avon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • metzler

• 'stones

• 'lops

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have new tires before the real riding season hits, so I thought I'd start looking. ( did get to ride both Saturday AND Sunday! )

Any word on the new Avon's? I've see a few posts but nothing conclusive.

What's the "hot" tire right now?

·
Registered
759 Posts
not enuff choices on ur poll...I just bought a set of new style stones..and metzelers from Hal. been running stones since bike was new...very happy with the stickiness of those tires..wear is good..after I learned about more tire pressure. getting ready to change into my third set of stones with new style front tire. previous two sets were with the old style front tire. I have 12,000 on the second front with about 1,500 more to go...got mild to medium cupping with it. I expect less cupping to no cupping with the new style fornt stone...which will give even more mileage. I run 41 front..and 39 rear. I ride mainly one up. I used to run 41 rear. With 39 I get a much better footprint. am considering dropping to 38 on the rear with my load. I havent tried any metz yet..will go thru the stones first..then the metz.

·
Registered
231 Posts
12k on the current 'stones (OEM) and very happy with the wear, etc.
I will be ordering a new set of 'stones from Hal in the next couple of weeks for our trip to ABW at the end of March :excited: :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
rchawk49 said:
12k on the current 'stones (OEM) and very happy with the wear, etc.
I will be ordering a new set of 'stones from Hal in the next couple of weeks for our trip to ABW at the end of March :excited: :D
What pressure do you run at?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I tell ya folks I dont have any problems with my OEM Dunlops. Do you figure its riding style??? I am not by any means a "Slow Poke" But,,,, Not exactly rubbing my knees on the ground either... My Dunlops got 14K and Im still good, Figure 3K more to go..... We'll see.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
For the last ten years I have used metzler's, not counting OE tires when bike purchased. I have yet to experience any of the wobbling complaints that some have reported, maybe just lucky. I like the way the metzler's handle, especially in the rain. Also, around here we are blessed with several bridges with steel grated decks and the metzler's handle that just fine.

The set I have on my "Silver Lady" now have 17,520 miles and are still street legal. Normally I would have replaced them before this, but I have been waiting for that front tire which I just got last week. Tomorrow I get my bike back from the dealer from it's 32K & EMC upgrade and then the tires get changed, to metzler's again.

A few years back two of us rode the "Four Corners of the USA", a trip of about 11,000 miles. We both rode solo on identical equip Honda PC800's, except for the tires. We both started with new tires, me with metzler's and my partner with new Dunlops. Same miles, same temperatures, same road conditions, proper air pressure. At the end his tires needed replacement, mine were only half used up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Bigc,
I run the front at 38-40 and the rear 40-42. Check it every week.
I used to run lops on my GL1000, and was pretty happy with them. As I recall, I only got around 8-9K per set tho! :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts