GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new tires for my Wing so I checked HDL and found the Stones for 289 for the set. I went to North Valley Honda on Cave Creek, asked if they would match Internet pricing on tires. He said he would try so I showed him the printout. He said he could match that price but would have to add sales tax. No problem for me. So if you like to buy tires locally, like I do, since I don't change my own, North Valley seems to be competitive.

23 per wheel to mount and balance, off the bike.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I hate to say anything against our sponser but get them. I had a set put on the other day and don't know if it was the tires or the dyna beads but the head shake is gone and they ride smooth. Yes the head shake was there from day 1. I also went with the 70 series rear. It got the speedo accurate with the GPS and dropped the RPM's by about 300. 3000 RPM @ 70 vs. 3300 @ 70 mph.
I did like the fresh tires Hal sent and would suggest anyone do business with them. Very good folks to deal with. Checked the dates and they were only a couple months old.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem doing business with HDL but since I don't mount the tires myself, I like to buy them where I get them mounted. I've almost always been able to get within 10-15 dollars of Internet prices. Try to keep some local relationship going in case I need it someday.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've had good luck at the Cycle Gear on cave creek. I think the guys in Surprise will work with you too, but you do have to ask.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had good luck at the Cycle Gear on cave creek. I think the guys in Surprise will work with you too, but you do have to ask.
Yes, I've had good service at both Cycle Gear stores.

BTW, how are those new springs working for you?

·
Registered
420 Posts
D&D in Tempe also has great prices on tires. I have yet to find anyone who will beat them in price and mounting.

JMHO

Kevin

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
i've bought a few items from HDL :thumbup: I am waiting on a back order at the moment.

Tires from D&D Discount cycles in Tempe.. I take the wheels in to Mel and he takes care of stuff.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I take it then Tony that you still have your bike. If so that's great.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yes, I've had good service at both Cycle Gear stores.

BTW, how are those new springs working for you?
I really like them. I have a friend who winters in Yuma and had him give it a ride the other day. He said it was near as good as his Traxxion set up. I must say that the rebuild did everything I wanted it to do. Did you get yours all sorted out?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I always ask the dealer if they can come reasonably close to an Internet price.. Personally I'd rather feed the local guy's family.. There are some deals (like Hals latest tire buy) though that nobody will ever touch 25% is a nice chunk of change..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like them. I have a friend who winters in Yuma and had him give it a ride the other day. He said it was near as good as his Traxxion set up. I must say that the rebuild did everything I wanted it to do. Did you get yours all sorted out?
Yes, I got the RaceTech cartridge emulator installed. A nice improvement. I already had upgraded the springs and that was the biggest improvement over stock. But I was still getting too much of a jolt when going over some sharp bumps. The emulators fixed that, it absorbs the bumps better and an overall smoother ride.

Now I need a new rear shock, need to save my pennies.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Just wanted to echo what Jerry said. I needed a new front badly so I stopped at North Valley and they matched Hall's regular price of 140 for the front and are putting it on for 23.00 on the bike. Not bad. Seemed like good folks. I too showed them the printout and was up front about what I was looking for. I didn't ask them to match just come reasonably close. They did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
new tires

I have to agree with jetdr...D&D has the best prices on tires and mounting and balancing. hate to go against the sponsor but i perfer to buy my tires local

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
nothing wrong with D&D other than location, but I doubt they can beat the deal I just got, at least not enough to make it worth my while to go all the way over there.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I been buying my tires from Hal. (last 3 anyways)

I prefer to mount my own, but I have had a set mounted at RIDE~NOW in Surprise. If walk them into Ride Now they do them for $15 bucks ea.

Down side of having someone else do the work , is I doubt they clean the Rims (bead area) past results to me indicate they most likely do not clean the rims. Also They never seem to ask if you want a valve stem replaced. ( I forgot to tell them and they did not offer as a safety precaution)
( your results may vary).

The other annoying thing to me when having tires mounted (most places for cars or bike) is you come in with good weights (honda factory ones clamped in middle of rim) and you come out with sticky weights in several spots so your bike rim looks like a clock.

Just bought my own wheel balancer so I hope I will pleased from here on out.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I been buying my tires from Hal. (last 3 anyways)

I prefer to mount my own, but I have had a set mounted at RIDE~NOW in Surprise. If walk them into Ride Now they do them for $15 bucks ea.

Down side of having someone else do the work , is I doubt they clean the Rims (bead area) past results to me indicate they most likely do not clean the rims. Also They never seem to ask if you want a valve stem replaced. ( I forgot to tell them and they did not offer as a safety precaution)
( your results may vary).

The other annoying thing to me when having tires mounted (most places for cars or bike) is you come in with good weights (honda factory ones clamped in middle of rim) and you come out with sticky weights in several spots so your bike rim looks like a clock.

Just bought my own wheel balancer so I hope I will pleased from here on out.
Hey just keep riding, you can't see weights on a spinning wheel.:lol:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ride now in Chandler told me that hey would do the tires for $25 wether they were brought in or on the bike. When I need them I'll check their prices and see if they come close.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
nothing wrong with D&D other than location, but I doubt they can beat the deal I just got, at least not enough to make it worth my while to go all the way over there.
They can't ....

I picked up a New Bridgestone Off Craigslist and met a neat Motorcycle guy in the process.

I wanted to see the hype of these Bridgestones so for $75 bucks for a rear I could not pass it up. Despite I have a new set of Dunlop Elite 3's to my collection, I opted to buy the Bridgestone. So on Saturday 6-13-09 I called several places to get a front locally, D&D was one of them.

They Quoted me $186 for a front , I said huh , they said that included mounting and balancing, I said I do that myself, they replied we charge the same weather we mount it or you mount it. Needless to say I hung up as fast as I dialed.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ride now in Chandler told me that hey would do the tires for $25 wether they were brought in or on the bike. When I need them I'll check their prices and see if they come close.
I would call again or if need be you can borrow my receipt if need it.
Sometimes you get someone on the phone that does not know much about the business. It is also very possible they changed their policy.

I just looked through my paperwork to confirm , they have done them for $15 bucks off the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts