GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In all my other wings 1000,1100,1200.1500 I've used Champion plugs with no complaints,can Champs be used in the 1800,if not, why ?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Just get the correct model of plug and it will be almost as good as Denso or NGK. ;-)

prs

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
802 Posts
Absolutely cannot go wrong with NGK. But like you, I sometimes like to color outside the lines. I have always favored Autolite plugs, I guess just to be different. Not saying they are superior to NGK or any other plug, just saying they do their job well.

Autolite Copper Resistor plug #3923
Autolite Xtreme Sport Iridium #XS3923 or XS3923DP (display package)

Autolite often offers a mail in rebate making their iridium plugs about $4 each.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Three things that are far more important than the brand of spark plug:
1.) Installation torque. Use a torque wrench!
2.) Replace them at the recommended maintenance intervals.
3.) Check and if necessary adjust the gap.

One last thing; who's ever spark plug you use, be very certain that the manufacturer of that spark plug specifically lists that spark plug as fitting the vehicle you'l be putting it in. Cross reference charts will have absolutely no value in the unlikely event you ever believe you have a problem with or caused by the spark plug.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have always used NGK's in all my motorcycles.
I have always used Champions in my cars/trucks.

I just never thought of using any other brands in my vehicles.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would use caution on buying NGK, and probably other brands, spark plugs on ebay and amazon at bargain prices. Allegedly, there are counterfeit spark plugs being sold as genuine NGK plugs. There are numerous web sites about this issue and ways to spot the counterfeits.

Do an internet search on: counterfeit ngk spark plugs

Also, click on images within that search.

From NGK: http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would use caution on buying NGK, and probably other brands, spark plugs on ebay and amazon at bargain prices. Allegedly, there are counterfeit spark plugs being sold as genuine NGK plugs. There are numerous web sites about this issue and ways to spot the counterfeits.

Do an internet search on: counterfeit ngk spark plugs

Also, click on images within that search.

From NGK: http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html
I agree it’s not worth the couple bucks saved. I priced them at a local auto parts $2.89 each. A national chain will not take a chance on cheep imitation... they have too much to lose...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts