GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase one of 2 used 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT motorcycles, one with 22,000kms (13,670 miles), the other with 60,000 kms (40,000) miles. The price difference is about $5000 CDN ($4000 USD). Normally I would shy away from a motorcycle with 40,000 miles but it seems the Goldwing might be an exception.

Which would you experienced wing owners recommend and do you have any advice as to what to look for before buying used? Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I'd see if they'd knock a few grand more off the higher mileage one and ride it for many years. Can you still get the extended warranty on it with that mileage?

·
Registered
2019 Tour DCT
168 Posts
I have an opportunity to purchase one of 2 used 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT motorcycles, one with 22,000kms (13,670 miles), the other with 60,000 kms (40,000) miles. The price difference is about $5000 CDN ($4000 USD). Normally I would shy away from a motorcycle with 40,000 miles but it seems the Goldwing might be an exception.

Which would you experienced wing owners recommend and do you have any advice as to what to look for before buying used? Any help would be appreciated. Thx.
First, these bikes are built for dependability and miles! I know of several of the older Wings going for over 250,000 miles with little problems. It’s hard for me to give you any advice on the two without knowing more about the bikes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, these bikes are built for dependability and miles! I know of several of the older Wings going for over 250,000 miles with little problems. It’s hard for me to give you any advice on the two without knowing more about the bikes.
Both bikes are the same: 2018 Gold Wing Tour DCT, one red the other white. They are asking 27,000 CDN for the red one with 13,000 miles and $22000CDN for the white one with 40,000 miles. The red one has the following additions: rider boards, highway pegs and a seat rest. The white one has fog lights. Otherwise they are the same. A new 2021 Tour DCT is $32,000CDN plus freight and PDI.

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I bought my 1st bike, a 2005, it had 75,000 miles.

I was very hesitant considering the "high" mileage.

My supervisor then owned an older bike with nearly 300,000 miles and he told me that Goldwing's are built to last, 75K isn't even due for a tune-up yet.

Bulletproof engine and reliability sold me. Now on my 2nd bike, it had 62,000 miles and going strong, albeit little issues from P.O and dealership that sold me this bike.

Ride them, let your initial feelings dictate your choice. Don't be too concerned with the mileage.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Fyi, aftermarket accessories add zero dollars to the used value of a motorcycle unless they are EXACTLY those that you want and would pay for.

The bike with the OEM aux lights is worth the added value of the lights.

I'd have no issue trusting the long term reliability of the lower priced, higher mileage model.

Tim

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Mileage would not concern me as much as other condition information.

In the US, you can add a Honda extended warranty if the bike is still under factory warranty (3 years, unlimited mileage).

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
I have over 62,0000 miles on my bike, the only real problem that I've had is to keep the tread on my tires from wearing off...
I'd probably go with the 13,000 mile machine......

Ronnie
11/25/21

·
Registered
24 Posts
The best selling motorcycle magazin in Europe "MOTORRAD" started a 100k test drive with a Goldwing SC 79, two years ago.
The bike crashed at 66k kilometers, but they disassembled the complete engine to check the wear and tear. The very experienced workshop-team of the magazin (they had disassembled countless bikes over the years) stated, that they had never seen an engine in such an excellent shape after 66k kilometers.
And they had no doubt, that it would be the same after 100k kms.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Has the higher mileage bike been maintenance documented? How many miles a year do you plan to ride? I would probably go with the white one for less money. That’s not high mileage and the savings will buy a lot of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
369 Posts
If it has been well maintained, I would have no problems saving $CDN and going for the higher mileage one.
But it's so . . . . . WHITE! Just kidding white owners. I've had three wings, one new and two used, second one was red and very used with high mileage. I've never had an issue from mileage (except tires as previously posted). If you have a way to check maintenance I would definitely do that. The high mileage one wasn't maintained as good as it should have been so I had quite a bit to catch up on, rode it 2-up all over southeast but still had no issues. Well, except nails, screws and bolts in the front tires, I couldn't keep front tires on that one.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
The best selling motorcycle magazin in Europe "MOTORRAD" started a 100k test drive with a Goldwing SC 79, two years ago.
The bike crashed at 66k kilometers, but they disassembled the complete engine to check the wear and tear. The very experienced workshop-team of the magazin (they had disassembled countless bikes over the years) stated, that they had never seen an engine in such an excellent shape after 66k kilometers.
And they had no doubt, that it would be the same after 100k kms.
That's only 44k miles...thats low miles for a Gold Wing...100,000 km is only 62k miles..again nothing for a Gold Wing and not even worth tearing the engine apart to check anything...wish they would tear a Gold Wing engine apart at 200k miles..now that would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
Get the white one. Never apologize for being white. They look clean longer.
I bought the white because the color is easier to care for and doesn't show swirl marks in the paint like the darker colors do..the paint with my 2018 Pearl White looks flawless.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
In the US, you can add a Honda extended warranty if the bike is still under factory warranty (3 years, unlimited mileage).
The warranty would be nonexistent on a 2018, bike is almost four years old.
I bought mine in Feb 2018, 3 years old on Feb 2021.
Extended warranty is for the original purchaser. Sorry

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
The warranty would be nonexistent on a 2018, bike is almost four years old.
I bought mine in Feb 2018, 3 years old on Feb 2021.
Extended warranty is for the original purchaser. Sorry
The 3 years depends on when the bike was first registered. Warranty starts at that time.
And as long as that warranty is in effect, the current owner may purchase the extended warranty. Does not need to be first purchaser.

Reactions: Dougbug
1 - 20 of 34 Posts