GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just struck a deal on a level 1 2010 GW. It's pretty much stock and am picking it up this summer when I get back to North America.

I was wondering about the traxxion kit. I don't double much but I do load them down alot when I travel without a trailer...see my old royale in the pic..oops work won't let me post it but I will add it later. As you can see the kitchen sink I left back home but I take my bow's and arrows - tent - sleeping bag - clothes - fishing gear etc when I go and of course FOOD. My trips are usually about 5-6k so I take alot of crapola. I have been caught in snow storms and I just setup camp and enjoy, but you have to have the gear to be able to do it.

So I was wondering how the stock setup handles that kinda stuff and if it's worth getting the traxxion put on before I pick the bike up. I guess there is a trike plkace in Tampa that does it.

I was going to put on the following anyway.

Fog/driving lights
trailer hitch and wiring

Just wondering about the suspension...thought with an air compressor on board you would be able to stiffen it up some..dunno

Thanks anyway...jer

·
IronMan
17,453 Posts
1800 doesnt have air adjustable susp.(1500 did ) unless your really agressive rider dont think you need the full monty traxion - i put 68,000 on my 05 with stock n it got me home n back ! Rode with others that had traxion and kept up with them . Would suggest you try someones bike that has it ! Air wings are good investment if you ride in all types weather. Welcome to wing . Miles = smiles !

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Didn't say how big you are?
If you're a really big guy AND you're going to load it heavy, you may want stiffer springs front and rear.
.. that's all you would ever need unless you are going to get into serious peg scraping and twisty carving.

It's just like a two wheel truck..
.. if it sags a bit you change the springs; you don't need to add racing suspension.

The rear shock is not air adjustable, but it is hydraulic adjustable and can stiffen up the back very nicely.

Good luck,

Dennis

·
Registered
824 Posts
I waited 2 years to do mine. I weigh 235 and by the time I had it done my front suspension only had 2.5" of travel left due to the springs sagging. I had it done in Carstairs, Alberta. Vass Performance is a certified Traxion installer. When I first picked it up, I was a little dissapointed as I didn't notice much. That was untill I started riding harder. For me, it was the best 2700.00 I have spent. That included some other stuff I had done, I think the traxion part was 2400.00. 2 years and 50,000kms later, the bike still rides like its on rails. Is it worth it? Depends on how you ride but you mentioned having the bike loaded up...........................yes I think you will need it, just depends on when.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
This is an old debate, whether to get Traxion or not. Start off with heavier springs, like Progressive or Traxion. That's only a couple hundred for parts. That will make it feel much better. Later if your not satisfied then you can move up to the Progressive cartridge or Traxion full monty. It's a personal decision and you need to ride for a while to know which would be best. If you are going to load it up then at least get the springs. Cheap and easy and you don't even have to pull the forks.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
With a brand new bike, I would just load it up and ride it and see how it works. Goldwings carry two "large" people and all their crap on the stock suspension all the time. Most of the extra weight will go onto the back end anyway where there is adjustment.

·
Administrator
3,575 Posts
If you are loading it that heavy the first limit will be your rear tire, not your suspension. For safety's sake you may want to visit the Darkside board on this forum, and learn why many of us throw away the OEM tires.

Welcome aboard, and have fun.

Glen

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas - I will probably just see how it goes but this is how I travel normally without a trailer

with the trailer

jer

·
Registered
584 Posts
You might want to consider a 2012+ trike take off shock with a progressive spring, topping off the actuator, a lower triple tree, and progressive monotubes.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Jer,

Nice Yamaha Venture Royale! I haven't seen a nice one like that in a long time.

You're gonna really like your GL1800!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a Venture also. I was very disappointed with the size of the 1800's trunk and bags. The venture held a lot more. Still a step up from the Venture.
Congratulations on the bike.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I would leave the suspension upgrade till you have some miles on it , the stock suspension is just fine, my bike has Traxxion full but it has 150,000 miles on it

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks everyone for your input.....its nice to get it from the horses mouth. I have had 8 venturers and loved them all....just wanted a bit of a newer bike and have been waiting for Yamaha to get their caca together and build anothe UPGRADED venturer.....well I can't wait any longer. Too many miles out there to travel.

I am sure the bigger engine will help too....and they are quiet which I like as long as the sound system is good....LOVE MY MUSIC......BORN TO BE WILD starts all of my trips. CHeers mates....Jer

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I weigh 195 and the bike has about 40 k on her....it has the following already installed but i will ditch the heal toe shifter.

"All Balls" Steering Head Bearing
Honda Trunk rack, light & handle
Rattlebars Heel-to-Toe shifter
Utopia backrest
Wingsoft seat mod small
Bungee brackets
one Whelen TIR3 LEDs rear brake light
GL2WAY CB w/ single antenna kit
V3 player (mp3)
Baker mirror wings (dark)
Chrome exhaust turndown tips
HondaCare protection/Extended warranty (84months from new 1/11)

I want to add fog/driving lights (ANY SUGGESTIONS HERE).

Also Highway pegs and a tow hitch (ANY SUGGESTIONS HERE)

I might go with just a heavier set of springs then and the triple tree replacement to firm her up a bit...how does that sound?

thnaks again for all your help...Jer

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
From the looks of how you pack, your still not approaching the weight of a 150lb passenger with their gear. Also, if you use the trailer, your no where near the weight some of us carry with just 2 people. :oops:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts