GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I've seen mentions of the darkside, what are we talking about when that phrase is used?:?:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Look at the picture in my signature: Car tire on back of MC. There is a forum called the Darkside board for those who want to learn about this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A lot of Goldwing owners are not happy with the way the stock rear (and/or front) tire performs. A while ago, someone decided to put a car tire on the rear of his Goldwing (a practice unheard of at the time) and decided it was a better ride than before. Car tires are usually not recommended for motorcycles, hence the term "going to the Darkside."

There are specific car tires you can install on your Goldwing, and apparently it does improve the handling of the ride. I am not a Darksider, but I am reading as much as I can on the Darkside forum because slowly but surely I am convinced it is better (on a Goldwing, I don't know about other bikes) to have a car tire installed.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Eddie, Welcome to the board! You will enjoy the lively banter here, and it seems you have a knack for jumping right in the middle of the most lively of topics. Our benefactors who provide the board would prefer all threads on this subject be confined to the "Darksiders" board. You can find it by clicking on the "forums" button in the banner across the top of the homepage and scrolling down to the list that includes the names of states. In that list you will find a link to the darksiders forum. All you ever wanted to know and more is there.

An alternative to find the answers you are looking for would be to click on the search function at the top of this page. Click on advance search and find the box for "users". Type in "Murgie" and go to any of his posts. In his signature line you will find some links, one is a FAQ that you will find VERY informative.

Any specific questions you might have will be answered there... Or feel free to open a discussion...:thumbup:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Welcome

While this forum provides a lot of information much of what is posted is opinion. Unfortunately you have to live it to learn from it. For every ten people who approve an idea you will find ten who are opposed to it. It all boils down to personal preference. I see posts all the time where people are trying to sell an item that they just purchased and then after a short trial have determined "it"s not for me". This is a great site and you will enjoy it. Welcome to the ride.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are specific car tires you can install on your Goldwing, and apparently it does improve the handling of the ride. I am not a Darksider, but I am reading as much as I can on the Darkside forum because slowly but surely I am convinced it is better (on a Goldwing, I don't know about other bikes) to have a car tire installed.

I am not a darksider either. I am a MSF Instructor for the Georgia Dept of Driver Services and I must say, an accomplished rider. I also love to push the bike thru the turns.... I think the reason for installing a car tire on the rear is to increase the load carrying ability and the increase the service life of the tire. I do not and will not believe it will increase the handling of the bike. The motorcycle tire will "out stick" a car tire any day!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I am not a darksider either. I am a MSF Instructor for the Georgia Dept of Driver Services and I must say, an accomplished rider. I also love to push the bike thru the turns.... I think the reason for installing a car tire on the rear is to increase the load carrying ability and the increase the service life of the tire. I do not and will not believe it will increase the handling of the bike. The motorcycle tire will "out stick" a car tire any day!
....And then there are some who speak from experience.

Might want to take this discussion to the DS board...:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
It's doesn't increase the handling, at the same time it doesn't take any away either. It just changes it. This pig of a bike doesn't come close to pushing the limits of either type of tire. Only thing we are pushing the limits on is the load capacity.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
In deference to our hosts, I won't respond to this rider's opinion with my own experiences (here on the main board).

Here's a link to the Darksider sub-board:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

We don't mind riding "at the back of the bus" -- at least we get to ride!

"Thousands of riders, tens of millions of miles of actual experience... but what do we know?"

·
Registered
641 Posts
Very interesting concept, I am already learning and I am a newbie here. I have been told the GL1800 are tire eaters, I wonder how long the car tires last?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Very interesting concept, I am already learning and I am a newbie here. I have been told the GL1800 are tire eaters, I wonder how long the car tires last?
I am NOT answering your question here...

But I might if you look

i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
i
V

·
Registered
139 Posts
Interesting..... nobody seems to mind when political posts are written on the OTE forum, yet there are specific instructions not to do so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts