GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When looking at posts about GPS I continually see the same GPS models mentioned.
Is there a reason why other less expensive automotive style GPS units are not used on motorcycles.
From some of the posts I have read It seem that a lot of you expect a lot of functions from your GPS units.
I would be interested in some basic functions to navigate from point " A to B" and points of interests along the way.

So why not the automotive style GPS units?
When I bought my used 2013 the PO left the GPS that he installed on the bike, it is a Garmin Nuvi 765, not motorcycle specific , not water proof, he used for 20,000 plus miles, I still have it and have put 40,000 plus on the bike with it installed all the time. It has worked through the Florida heat and rain, it stayed wet almost constantly on my last trip up to Ohio and back. Maybe a year or so back I thought it was giving up the ghost so picked up an identical unit off of Ebay for like $25.00, I keep it in my saddle bag as a back up. but have yet to need it.I do keep a plastic bag in the left cubby to cover the GPS when can, but with the way it rains here in Florida, often you soaked before you have a chance to think about it.
Mins is a basic unit that has Bluetooth so I can Bluetooth connect my phone to it for calls and have a thingy the PO left on the bike (Kennedy I think) , that allows the GPS directions and phone calls to come in to my headsets on the intercom. It all works pretty well.

There is one just like it on Ebay now for $25.00 plus $12.00 shipping.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Most car GPS systems are not waterproof or glove friendly.
In my experience, the car units are almost all glove firendly.

The big real issues are waterproof, mounting, and audio integration: jack out or Bluetooth headset profile. All except BT can be hacked.

Daylight readable screen is another thing that gets around, but I've found some old zumos to be worse than newer nuvis.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Just ordered Tomtom Rider 550, on sale for $251.98 (+tax), free shipping.
I do have factory GPS, Garmin Nuvi (not sure which one, but a simple automotive one) as a backup, and as of recently my phone is on handlebars too.

My goal is to have an option to pre-plan my routes for a multi-day rides. I've been using Triptik and downloading it to factory GPS and that was working fine....till Triptik lost contract with Google maps. After that not only that the maps they started using were worthless (no detail, missing roads, no road names,...) but it would not transfer my planned rides as requested. It would only remembers waypoints and factory Wing GPS would "recalculate" the route again (but that's another story).

Long story short, based on all the info I've collected about Rider 550 (thanks to you guys on the forum and elsewhere), this unit should be able to do it with ease. It has it's own computer program (app) where you can pre-plan your ride(s) on laptop or phone and wirelessly transfer it exactly the way you planned into your GPS unit. Sounds almost too good to be true but if that's the case (haven't received the unit yet) it will take care of my issue with ride planning.

Moreover, it has an option (a lot of motorcycle GPS have it too) to pick a type of road you want calculated - fastest, or curvy. And if you pick curvy road, it will offer you options for more or less curvy. That certainly sounds like fun, when you are riding a familiar area and want to change the route a bit, for example.

I'm excited to explore the options once I receive it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts

Moreover, it has an option (a lot of motorcycle GPS have it too) to pick a type of road you want calculated - fastest, or curvy. And if you pick curvy road, it will offer you options for more or less curvy. That certainly sounds like fun, when you are riding a familiar area and want to change the route a bit, for example.
I'd be very interested to hear what sort of roads it puts you on if you select curvy. Where I live we have some downright treacherous curvy roads because they are either gravel or this stuff called Patch and Seal. This latter type is a rough ride on a GW and develops potholes that would ruin your day, your bike, and maybe your life.
My druthers are to stay on true asphalt roads but avoid freeways, so if that's how it sends you that would really be nice to know. Enjoy the new tech.

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
I assume that TomTom works similar to Garmin Zumo 595 Adventurous Routing, it has a bunch of selectable choices like paved roads or no unpaved roads, how well it actually works can vary a lot, in some areas it’s pretty good at keeping you off unpaved roads and in other areas it seems to simply ignore your choices. Overall I enjoy the adventurous routing feature but if your in a hurry forget about it. I’m sure in The future they will work better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So what size screen does everybody like?
What is big enough without being to big?
It seems that most GPS are between 4.3" and 5"
Does that seem to work for you and if not why?
I was thinking the larger the better, but few are over 5"
Opinions....... yes I know everyone has one and where they are located.
So what's your opinion?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Lots depends on your eyesight, or how good your glasses are and if you ride with them on.

Also consider where you will mount it. I like mine high and center (windshield mount to RAM ball at top of Windbender lower), so I can see it almost as a HUD. That puts it a bit further away. Even without my glasses on (I use reading but not distance glasses), I can make do with what the zumo 396 is telling me for directions. I only struggle with the little text messages it tries to relay sometimes but I can tell it to read them to me. nuvi 2797 was better because a) it was bigger at 7", and b) it didn't pester me as much with stupid little messages. ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Mounting is a consideration. The Nuvi's are certainly different than the Zumo's
Suction cup Vs Ball mount.
I was thinking center mount or just off to the left.
Pictures of people's mounting their GPS would be good.

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
Mounting on a motorcycle is one area where the Zumo 590-595 is definitely seems better than any other GPS I have seen, if and when you want to remove the Zumo it’s just a simple press of one button to release the GPS so you can take it inside a restaurant or motel to use. Or stick in in a pocket so no one can walk away with it.
Personally I would not buy any GPS with a screen smaller than 5 inches because my close up vision simply isn’t good enough.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
^ all the zumos I've seen are pretty slick like that. Nothing special about the 590-595. 660, 665, 396, etc. They all stay on pretty well and come off so easy you can and almost must have the habit of taking them off every time you leave the bike so they don't walk off on their own.

Touratech locking mounts are slick but $$$$$$$$. There are some lesser brands (cost and performance) but I'm fine with developing the take-off habit.

My nuvi 2797 was a bother to remove, so I didn't. I put a label on the case: "Dear Thief, GPS has no speaker and a hole in the case for hacked audio out. Not worth it." Not sure if it worked, but it didn't go anywhere.

No $%#@*&&! way would I roll with a suction cup.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I wasn't considering a suction mount, I was just stating the differences in mounts.
I remembered that I had a Nuvi 1450 somewhere and I located it in a drawer in the desk.
It is 12 years old and so are the maps.
I thought I had life time maps upgrade for it it but not sure how that works or how to upload a new map set.
Anybody with ideas on that?
I charge up the unit yesterday so now I'll have to see if it actually works.
Still concerned about the maps and mounting, it seems that the original mount clips on top and bottom. Not convinced that is strong enough.
Anybody got a picture of a 1450 and the mounting that they use, on a motorcycle? better yet where to get a good mounting for it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
^ map updates are easy. Google "Garmin Express." Download it. Run it. Hook the nuvi up to your PC.

No help on the 1450 mount. What I did like about my nuvi (yours may be different) is that it went on/off with switched power, so you can just wrap it up and secure it and not have to leave access to the power button. Just to the data port for working with the GPX data. At this point, it's on borrowed time so things like JB Weld and Gorilla Tape and RAM ball bases screwed into a backplate might be fair game to consider.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yoda (YODA) on this board makes a perfect mount to put your GPS on the upper part of the dash .
I have a 1450 mounted in front of the speedo (blocks useless Honda speedo) via the suction cup mount that comes with it. The round disc is stuck to the top of the underside dash roof and then the suction goes to that,
it works and fits perfect and if it comes off, it just lays in the gauge area. It has been on there for a about 8 yrs and 80,000 mi with not a problem. I have a photo of it. I can see if I can find it, but it is just so simple to do . and there many M/C users of the 1450 , It is simple to use & does way more than most people will ever need . Priced very low. So a very good one to start and learn with.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Map up dates are pretty much automatic, every time I plug my Garmins into my lap top to down load a route I created, it checks for updates and gives you the option to upload them or not.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mounting on a motorcycle is one area where the Zumo 590-595 is definitely seems better than any other GPS I have seen, if and when you want to remove the Zumo it’s just a simple press of one button to release the GPS so you can take it inside a restaurant or motel to use. Or stick in in a pocket so no one can walk away with it.
Personally I would not buy any GPS with a screen smaller than 5 inches because my close up vision simply isn’t good enough.
I considered the ZUMO, but the limited screen size makes it useless to me.
I selected the 7" Garmin 2797 and used the RAM mount backing plate, and ball adapters to give it any degree of tilt needed, up/dn or right/left. one of the adapters on the back has a 360 degree swivel joint. you can't see it here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks Big_Bird and M61A1MECH
I upgraded/loaded the new maps yesterday and it was pretty easy once I got to the right site, to many sites try to divert you to theirs.
Any way I got it done Thanks.
Now on to the cradle and Mount. I all ready contacted Yoda about the mount and the cradle is on line even at Dennis Kirk which is 10 miles from me.
So I am waiting to hear from Yoda first.
What a great site.

Bubber

·
Registered
20,610 Posts
If you compare my Nuvi 1450 and my Zumo 595 screens side by side the Zumo screen is embarrassingly lousy and Garmin should be ashamed of that But instead they try to tell you it’s new and improved.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have had both a Nuvi and Zumo.

I currently use the Zumo.

If it wasn't for my desire to have XM Radio I would have stuck with the Nuvi and carry a zip loc bag/rubber band on the rare occasion that I needed it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
On my old 2003 Goldwing, I use the old now Zumo 550. It never fails me and what is really nice is that it still takes all the new map sets that Garmin makes available. "Great". The 550's can still be found for a decent price on EBay.

Bill

·
Registered
860 Posts
I do have factory GPS, Garmin Nuvi (not sure which one, but a simple automotive one) as a backup, and as of recently my phone is on handlebars too.

My goal is to have an option to pre-plan my routes for a multi-day rides. I've been using Triptik and downloading it to factory GPS and that was working fine....till Triptik lost contract with Google maps. After that not only that the maps they started using were worthless (no detail, missing roads, no road names,...) but it would not transfer my planned rides as requested. It would only remembers waypoints and factory Wing GPS would "recalculate" the route again (but that's another story).

Long story short, based on all the info I've collected about Rider 550 (thanks to you guys on the forum and elsewhere), this unit should be able to do it with ease. It has it's own computer program (app) where you can pre-plan your ride(s) on laptop or phone and wirelessly transfer it exactly the way you planned into your GPS unit. Sounds almost too good to be true but if that's the case (haven't received the unit yet) it will take care of my issue with ride planning.

I'm excited to explore the options once I receive it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know everyone is talking about standalone GPS units but you mentioned that you have transferred routes over to your GL1800 unit using Triptik. Have you tried playing around with the official Honda Trip Planner to plan routes and transfer those over to your onboard Navi? It is free to use. Unfortunately on my 2007, it does not allow me to create a route and transfer it...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts