GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All-

As I ride my 'new to me' 1800, I am struck by the amount of road feel/road shock I get coming thru the handlebars (tar strips/expansion joints, etc.); I NEVER get this on my 1100.
Pouring over all the posts relating to this, I'm thinking the problem is the front forks need a refresh; I've read that this is not uncommon for 1800's.
I've also read about the debate on modifying/disabling the AntiDive. I'm the second owner and the bike was always serviced at Honda of Fairfield - I have no record of any work being done on the forks BUT I do have a service order for the All Balls tapered bearing set being put in.

I can fix just about anything on my 1100, but this is a new beast to me-

??What should I check and how should I proceed?? The road feel thru the handlebars tells me I need to do SOMETHING.....tire pressure is good.

Thanks in advance for helping out another 'new guy'

John

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
If I were going to do a complete rebuild of the shocks, I would put in after market springs and put a new trike take off rear shock. There are now numerous suspension companies you can buy from.

·
Registered
86 Posts
All-

As I ride my 'new to me' 1800, I am struck by the amount of road feel/road shock I get coming thru the handlebars (tar strips/expansion joints, etc.); I NEVER get this on my 1100.
Pouring over all the posts relating to this, I'm thinking the problem is the front forks need a refresh; I've read that this is not uncommon for 1800's.
I've also read about the debate on modifying/disabling the AntiDive. I'm the second owner and the bike was always serviced at Honda of Fairfield - I have no record of any work being done on the forks BUT I do have a service order for the All Balls tapered bearing set being put in.

??What should I check and how should I proceed?? The road feel thru the handlebars tells me I need to do SOMETHING.....tire pressure is good.

John

Not knowing if the oil in the forks has EVER been changed or checked I would start there, Check the levels, if the level is ok I would flush it anyway and replace with new oil. New oil I found can make quite a difference. After market springs are a valid option but if you're on a tighter budget rebuilding the forks with OEM parts sure did the trick on my 03 with 70k miles.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The easiest thing to do would be to disable the anti dive using pvc pipe or a nickle. It can easily be reversed if you are not happy with the change. I disabled mine because of a harsh ride and it made all the difference. I am not saying you should not also service the front suspension but only to try the simple thing first to identify your problem.

·
Registered
994 Posts
All-

John

Bought an 04 with less than 40k on it last summer and am in the same boat as you with both ends of this thing.If you do a search here you can go blind reading all the threads about how to make these suspensions better.Just depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I installed the all balls bearings a couple years back. During the process we drained the forks and refilled with 10W oil. The factory used 8W. On the way home that day I couldn't believe the difference in the front end.

Wayne

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
WELCOME TO THE FORUM :congrats: ON YOUR "NEW " BIKE. MILES = SMILES SEE IF ANYBODY CLOSE TO YOU THAT HAS WING WITH MODFIED FRONT SUSP. MAYBE LET YA TAKE A SPIN ON IT TO COMPARE .

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Disabling the anti-dive circuit may smooth up the ride, but it SURE serves it's function during a true panic stop!!! 2 times I'm so glad for Honda's engineering prowess in that all 1100+ pounds (including me) stayed "up" and on an even keel during horrific incidents. :22yikes::eek:4: :bow: :biker: I like it just fine as OEM intended, thank you.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I would have the forks serviced, and look into either new OEM springs, or progressive springs, or progressive monotubes. There are also more expensive options, but I only have experience with the options I listed above. I would also look into locating a trike take-off rear shock and spring from a 2012 or newer bike. This should give you a brand new suspension for very little money.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Just as a diagnostic experiment, I would remove the two screws holding the two halves of the AD valve together. Take a ride and see if the front end is more free and cushy on the smaller bumps. If pleased with that, I would rejoin the two halves and decide upon how to proceed; you should not just disable the AD with the soft and sacked OE springs. Replacing the springs with aftermarket ones as well as refreshing the wear parts and fork oil is an inexpensive and effective move, especially if you choose a set of linear springs ordered for your typical ride weight (Traxxion or RaceTech can help advise you). For just a bit more gelt you can get a set of the most recent Progressive Monotubes, a very popular selection that, also is best along with a refresh of the wear parts and oil. As you move up from here, the cost escalates exponentially. To your monotubes, you could add a billet or reinforced triple tree. The rear needs refreshed too. Or consider the Mega Monty from Traxxion if you must have the absolute top of the line front and rear, hang the cost.

prs

·
Registered
752 Posts
All-

John

My '03 also had around 90,000 miles on it when I bought it. I rebuilt the front forks and installed progressive springs, All Balls, and a fork brace and it handles pretty good now. It's a DIY job even if you're a mostly tool klutz like me. While you're at it you'll want to check the bearings in the front wheel, too. Mine needed replacing and, when I took the wheel and new bearings to them, the shop did it for about $20. I left the anti-dive active but I think there's no harm in you trying it both ways and deciding which you prefer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree with all the rough/stiff suspension problems that are discussed here. However, I don't understand how replacing the stock springs because as most say, they are inferior and too weak. How does installing stiffer springs make for a softer and smoother ride? I replaced my springs with Traxxion 1.1 springs, thoroughly cleaned tubes until looked like new out of the box. Then I refilled with Honda SS8 up to 125mm from the top without the spring in, and disabled the AD. I still have in my opinion a ride too firm and stiff. According to my research, the thicker the oil used will give you a harsher suspension. So how can 10w give you a better ride than 8w? Hopefully one day, we can all get that "Cadillac ride" from the Cadillac of the bike

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just as a diagnostic experiment, I would remove the two screws holding the two halves of the AD valve together. Take a ride and see if the front end is more free and cushy on the smaller bumps.

prs
Now THIS is an awesome (and very inexpensive)way to find out for sure! I guess I shouda thunk of this myself.... I don't THINK it's the anti-dive that's causing the rough ride, but I'll know for sure this way - thanks!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
New To Me

WELCOME to the forum, and enjoy your new ride. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just finished a front end rebuild a week or two back with OEM seals and bushings and Racetech springs. Left AD valve as is. MAJOR difference. Bike has 99700 miles and feels better than when I bought it used with 67000 miles. Should have done it then! Still not as plush a ride as I know it could be, but much smoother than before. And for the money spent, well worth it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
All-

John

I purchased an "03" with less than 10k a couple of years ago, & experienced as you describe, Thinking it might be a victim of age I took it to a dealer where a tech was kind enough to test ride it, he reported that he felt everything was in order but did offer up some solutions to make it smoother, not unlike some of those suggested here. I was also concerned with the transmission, My first ride I thought I was on a BMW, (anyone who has ridden a BMW twin, know what I am talking about) every Honda I have ever ridden, (a few) has had seamless shifting, not so with the wing, the dealer suggested a slightly heaver oil, which I must say has made a little difference. Understanding my GW is quite old I am not going to engage in a rant, but I will say it is not a MC I would brag about, it does have a lot of good qualities, & I have never ridden a MC I didn't like. I have elected to leave as stock, (maybe a forkbrace) or a forsale sign (reasons other than stated) jmop
t

·
Registered
5 Posts
same issue

john, I bought an 03 last year with 25k miles on it. I had a similar experience and was very surprised at the rough ride (this is my first wing). I had the front forks rebuilt and that smoothed it out a lot. steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
rough

Just finished a front shock rebuild on my 2002 a week or two back with OEM seals and bushings at 123,000 also the AD rides like new again, with about 80% of the mileage pulling a time out trailer packed for a month 550 lbs total, shock rebuild & one alternator only thing replaced, Fred​

1 - 18 of 18 Posts