GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have decided to take the plunge and have a Kumho Ecsta (sp?) mounted on my spare wheel. I am in the garage FIGHTING with it as I type this (well, okay, I took a quick break to type this).

How the heck do I get the darn thing up in there?? I know there is probably a quick answer - I'm just not seeing it! I put the suspension all the way down, meaning it's at 25 and that didn't help at all. I'm hitting the plastic fender liner on the left side of the bike toward the front of the wheel and can't get it up in there. HELP!!! Please! TIA!

Paul H.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Set the lug at 6:00 position and put it in gear. Tilt the top of the tire about 10deg to the right. Some on here let the air out and put liquid soap on the side that hits the plastic. You might have to put a flat bar under the tire and lift up on it to get it past the top two lugs as this is what the rim will hit to squeeze in. Make sure the bike is SECURE before doing any pushing on the tire.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Paul it sounds like you are doing this with the bike on the center stand or a lift? If so, either soap the left side of the wheel and fender well or try a sheet of wax paper between the tire and fender liner. If you have a floor jack, put it under tire and jack it up after prepping the tire and fender liner and securing the bike. Most folks are using the "lay down method" now.
Good luck!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Are you doing this on a jack/lift or have you laid the wing down on its right side?

Unlike John above, I leave the tranny in neutral when pushing the tire in. Also, if I am using a jack, I spray silicon on the fender well and the tire. It still takes a push to get it past the hump.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! With a little louder cussing and some tips here, I got it in there. Took it for a short ride and like the feel of it so far.

Thanks again!

Paul H.

on edit, yes, I had it up on a lift.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
How I love my post-hole diggers, let me count thy ways. Falken, Hankook, Sunny, General!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::lol:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks TravelinLite, LOL!

Murgie, how about one of those numbers!?!

Thanks again!

Paul H.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:congrats:
I too found getting that tire up in the wheel well quite the effort when on the lift. :twisted:

You'll find changing the rear tire via the "lay over" method MUCH easier than putting it on the lift. That and the above mentioned wax paper and it slides in super easy. I was shocked at how much easier it was. :thumbup:

Enjoy!!
Thanks TravelinLite, LOL!

Murgie, how about one of those numbers!?!

Thanks again!

Paul H.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Paul --
Welcome!
Your installation reminded me of my own (and those of many others). I laughed when I read about the cussing -- I don't know how, but it seems to work.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
it is not really a whole lot of muscle (tho a certain amount is required)----it is more finesse, having the lug studs in the right place, etc. glad to see you got it in.
the more you ride on the tire, the more you will be glad you made the switch!!
it just gets better!!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I lay my bike over now to change tires but the first one I did, I took it to where I worked and took the seat off, put some straps on the frame rails and hoisted the back end up in the air about 3 feet. I think perhaps this let the swingarm dangle down with the weight of the original tire on there and I was able to sit on a creeper and stick the car tire right up in there, no problem. Anyone have a way of doing this might give it a try and report back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
:congrats: and welcome to the darkside. I found the wax paper made it easier.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Installed a Kumho with the bike on a lift, back panel off. Rolled the tire on to two stepped 2X6's, set the angle of the tire, inserted a pry bar between the 2X6's and lifted the tire easily. At the tight spot, I just worked the pry bar, heard a couple of squeaks and it moved past the tight spot. Trans was in neutral, lined up the bolts and the cinched it down. Took all of about 5 minutes to install...no spray lub, soap or wax paper needed. Oh, and the tire was aired up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
:congrats: and welcome to the darkside. I found the wax paper made it easier.
I use a plastic grocery bag put between the lugs and tire,
got the idea from the waxed paper...didn't have any.
No sprays, no soaps, no grease, don't let the air out, it just
takes a couple of wiggles and it pops in. I use the lay down method.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts