GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2014 Wing with a Motor Trike kit. I can only start in neutral, is this correct? Or do I have a bad micro switch in the clutch control?

SCwing

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 08 GL1800 CSC trike only starts in neutral. Don't know what motortrike kits do differently.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
255 Posts
only start in neutral

If the kickstand was removed the wiring has to be fixed so it will start the right way.

Barney
I agree, sounds like they left the kickstand switch wired as being "down". I put a toggle switch on mine, so that if I ever get the "F1" light, I can simulate the kickstand being down to count the flashes.

·
IronMan
17,105 Posts
I agree, sounds like they left the kickstand switch wired as being "down". I put a toggle switch on mine, so that if I ever get the "F1" light, I can simulate the kickstand being down to count the flashes.
GOOD THINKIN !:grin2:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Actually, if they left the kickstand switch “down”, the bike would die when put in gear. The problem is on the clutch handle micro switch. (There should be two clicks, the first to trip cancels the cruise, the other clicks and completes the circuit for the bike to start in gear)

·
Registered
716 Posts
What is a clutch switch and where is it incase I have issues down the road.
On the forward part of the clutch and front break levers (up close to the pivot bolt) you will see wires attached to switches. All of these switches tend to get dirty and need flushing out. Some guys use WD40 but that is a petroleum based "Water displacer" that actually attracts road dust and dirt. Spray silicone cleans the switch contacts and lubricates the mechanical parts. I've used it on such things since the early 1980s.

I find it easier to just take the switch off (one screw holds each switch in place) and get where there is no danger of getting anything on the bike plastic. It can be done in place and I'd recommend lots of covers.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I clean and regrease the lever bushings, switch, push rod, rubber boot, etc. once per year.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Not had a problem like that, BUT I'm going out to the garage, just to check mine......
I'm sorry you had a problem (and even happier that you actually fixed it) BUT just think you have opened up many eyes, on this board, and hopefully saved some of us that may have that same problem down the road...:wink2::wink2:

Thank you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Question here: Would using an old toothbrush, work, cleaning out that area of the switch?? Pull in the break or clutch levers, and brush away at that little area where the "switch" is....[just thinking here]

Thank u

Ronnie

·
Registered
716 Posts
Keeping road dirt and dust away from working things is never a bad idea Ronnie. I use an old 1" paint brush. That toothbrush can't get to the switch contacts and might knock them out of alignment if it could. I accidentally bumped the contacts once with the spray tube and messed things up. Had to replace that switch. :(

Just put the spray tube from the spray silicone at the opening where you can actually see the switch contacts and spray the dickens out of things while working the switch. Repeat a couple times with each switch. It's messy. That is why I recommend removing the switches instead of just poking the tube in and squirting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I posted earlier on this thread. I took my trike to my mechanic friend. He checked everything out and eventually ordered a new switch. There was more than one issue but bottom line is that my trike will now start in gear. Big help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Keeping road dirt and dust away from working things is never a bad idea Ronnie. I use an old 1" paint brush. That toothbrush can't get to the switch contacts and might knock them out of alignment if it could. I accidentally bumped the contacts once with the spray tube and messed things up. Had to replace that switch. :(

Just put the spray tube from the spray silicone at the opening where you can actually see the switch contacts and spray the dickens out of things while working the switch. Repeat a couple times with each switch. It's messy. That is why I recommend removing the switches instead of just poking the tube in and squirting.
Thanks Gold, when you speak I listen! What you say is "good as Gold" in my book...LOL .(See what did there?)

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts