GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda' thinking about trading trailers next year. Has come down to Bushtec or Escapade. I saw some pictures on someone's personal site the other day and was not impressed with the floor in the Escapade. I like the looks of the trailer and I like the way the lid opens wide open, but that sort of turned me off.
I haven't read anything but good about Bushtec and I guess I'm leaning that way. I haven't seen the inside of their trailers or even a picture of one with the lid open but I do like the looks of it. Do the Bushtecs not have any issues at all? I know from reading posts that any problems are taken care of and that says alot for the company.
What about the air suspension? Is it any trouble to adjust and how much do you have to mess with it? What is the floor like, is it flat like it should be? Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'll bet there are some riders in your area that have one. Maybe they'll respond.
I have a friend with a Bushtec. If you're over this way, he would be glad for you to take a look at it.

Andy

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
What was the issue that you had with the floor of the Escapade trailer? I have one, and other than the frame ribs jotting into the inside of the trailer, the floor is flat hiding the spare tire should you choose to go that route. If the main frame was mounted on the outside of the trailer, I'm sure that it would cause a wind drag problem under it.

All the Bushtecs that I have seen appear to being pulled leaning forward which is the reason I didn't go with it. An excellent trailer, but I didn't want to be hassled with adjusting the suspension everytime I loaded it.

The best trailer suspension, IMO is the Tailwing, but it looks like a ramp and very low to the ground from behind and I was afraid of traffic coming up the rear not seeing it.

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
the reasons I bought a Escapade trailer was .. i did want the hassle of
adjusting the suspension after it was loaded.. and the fact that a replacement tire/rim is not as readily available.. and it was quiet a bit
less than a Bushtec...

cosmic

G

·
I researched this question for 2 plus months reading and looking at everything I could come up with and it came down to Escapade, BushTec, and Tailwind. I was told the Hannigan, if you could get one, is also better than a couple of these. I was originally hyperventilating over the Escapade since my dealer handled it and Hannigan. I eliminated the Escapade due to finish problems with their gel coat/bra imprinting and suspension design. I also considered the fact they do not participate on this board and eliminated them along with the Hannigan and therefore the dealer. That left two great trailers and I am sorry I can't afford both. Bought the BushTec deluxe hitch and ordered the Tailwind.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've got a 2001 Bushtec Quantum..Wife & I are very happy with it.

I think the Hannigan is a very sharp looking trailer, but I don't have any personal experience with one.

The Tail Wind is also a sharp looking trailer, but the lack of space for a cooler on the tongue would keep me from buying one. After the wife gets through packing the trailer ( all 26 sq. ft. of it ) :( , we wouldn't have room for a cooler. :wink:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Eagle Eye

Someone the other day said of the Tailwind, "The Tailwind has random access"

We designed the Tailwind with a deep well between the wheels to encourage the location of the ice chest and any other large and heavy objects there. The well has a front lip to keep quick stops from shoving these items forward.

There is no secret that locating most of the mass between the wheels will give the best stability and the smallest pitch inertia.

Roger Williams just picked up his Tailwind yesterday and called me form his home today in Phoenix after leaving here in Spring Branch about 8 PM last night. He put 1,200 miles on his new trailer the first two days he had it.

He said it was flawless and helped a lot in the high winds he encountered over not having a trailer. He also said that when crossing a bump, he would hear and feel the Bump..Bump..? He was always waiting for the third bump when the trailer hit the bump, but it never happened. He likes the new Texas 80 mph speed limits, and was running speeds around the speed limit most of the way home. He said he was filling up at 210 to 220 miles. In the photo below he is riding the first 50 feet he ever pulled a trailer with a bike in an uphill small radius turn.

Not having the ice chest out on the drawbar had two advantages, It has no drag penalty and it has no pitch inertia with which to load the rear frame of the bike.

Dave Hannigan builds a very good trailer and it is 27 cubic feet against the Tailwind's 24. However, the lid of the tailwind is 18 square feet, the whole top of the trailer. If there were no Tailwind, I would buy another Hannigan. I have already bought two. It is, however, hard to load the front.

I have a friend that has built many airplanes that I used to say would sell his own mother for another half percent less drag. Well I guess it is fortunate that my mother is no longer with us, as I am as much or more passionate over low drag. You will notice that the only parasitic drag item on the Tailwind is the latch. There is no spoiler, luggage rack, or other appendage to trip the boundary flow.

I am glad to see that you use a trailer. Trailers are very beneficial in several ways, like being a theft deterrent, or bulking up the appearance of the Wing to make it more noticeable.

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
Check all brands :D

·
Registered
19,457 Posts
I have to admit it was a low blow. :(

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Tom Finch said:
Eagle Eye

Someone the other day said of the Tailwind, "The Tailwind has random access"

We designed the Tailwind with a deep well between the wheels to encourage the location of the ice chest and any other large and heavy objects there. The well has a front lip to keep quick stops from shoving these items forward.

There is no secret that locating most of the mass between the wheels will give the best stability and the smallest pitch inertia.

Roger Williams just picked up his Tailwind yesterday and called me form his home today in Phoenix after leaving here in Spring Branch about 8 PM last night. He put 1,200 miles on his new trailer the first two days he had it.

He said it was flawless and helped a lot in the high winds he encountered over not having a trailer. He also said that when crossing a bump, he would hear and feel the Bump..Bump..? He was always waiting for the third bump when the trailer hit the bump, but it never happened. He likes the new Texas 80 mph speed limits, and was running speeds around the speed limit most of the way home. He said he was filling up at 210 to 220 miles. In the photo below he is riding the first 50 feet he ever pulled a trailer with a bike in an uphill small radius turn.

Not having the ice chest out on the drawbar had two advantages, It has no drag penalty and it has no pitch inertia with which to load the rear frame of the bike.

Dave Hannigan builds a very good trailer and it is 27 cubic feet against the Tailwind's 24. However, the lid of the tailwind is 18 square feet, the whole top of the trailer. If there were no Tailwind, I would buy another Hannigan. I have already bought two. It is, however, hard to load the front.

I have a friend that has built many airplanes that I used to say would sell his own mother for another half percent less drag. Well I guess it is fortunate that my mother is no longer with us, as I am as much or more passionate over low drag. You will notice that the only parasitic drag item on the Tailwind is the latch. There is no spoiler, luggage rack, or other appendage to trip the boundary flow.

I am glad to see that you use a trailer. Trailers are very beneficial in several ways, like being a theft deterrent, or bulking up the appearance of the Wing to make it more noticeable.
Wow! Nice trailer! Where can I get one? Do you make them? How much?

Van

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Lean,

I did not see the post because I was at a Composite Materials conference in Dallas.

I really am not sure why you took up the Bushtec Banner, but so be it. Everyone has to be someplace. There are those who carry the Escapade banner, Champion banner, etc.

If you would dissect each vehicle from a technical point of view, I am not sure you would be so ready to discredit the Tailwind. I guess I do not know why you do that, anyway.

Starting a company to build a product that costs multiples of the competition to produce, and hoping that there are enough riders to understand the merits of the product is a big risk and takes more resources than you can imagine.

I feel very fortunate that there are as many technically astute riders in the Wing community as there are. I think that characteristic showed up in a recent poll about computer operating systems by the number of riders were not satisfied with the run of the mill operating systems but went further in the selection process.

The Wing itself, which you chose, is a monumental piece of technology. We simply went along those lines to design the Tailwind. There were enough Shadows, Sportsters, Intruders, and etc parities in the trailer world already.

I do not know your profession, so do not take this in any wrong way. I would suggest that you might want to get an engineer(s) from a company(s) that makes cars or airplanes or helicopters that designs structure and mechanisms, and have them pick each trailer apart. Not just Bushtec and Tailwind, but all that are available. See if they think that the Tailwind is worth the extra two or three thousand it costs us to make. The US patent office thought it was unique enough to patent it. If you are interested, Patents can be found at http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...mas&FIELD1=INNM&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=PTXT

Many at the Composite Conference were surprised to learn that there was a motorcycle trailer built in this advanced way. One said that the auto industry has been delayed in moving to this technology because they have not been able to get the cost down enough yet. He pointed out that a new corvette has a composite hood, but it is a $50,000 car. I did see some automotive and motorcycle components in Graphite.

Anyway, happy trailering and look forward to seeing you at one of the next get-togethers.

Tom Shelton, thank you for the comments. Pretty well dead on relative to the risk side. Obviously, we hope there will be enough who dig out the real meat of what they are buying over the next couple of years to allow this program to populate the ridership. After enough Tailwinds are out there, riders will look to those who use the Tailwind, for more than the casual week off, to determine which are really the technical best. Then they will decide between the best and the lowest price, and all those in between. There is obviously a place for many of the trailers that are available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts