GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ? This sure is differant. This is my first notebook puter and I see the keyboard is definatley smaller than the normal for sure. I want to thank all who responded to my request for info. I ended up getting this one I'm using now. Sooooo It will be a little bit of a learning process. Does everyone just use the existing hotels service to get on the net ? That's one of the things I'm not sure of yet. Right now I'm hooked to my router, but on the road I'll probably have to use a phone line correct ?
Here's a link to what I purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite ... =UTF8&s=pc

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mike thats a good looking puter. So far I have been able to get on the net everywhere I have stayed. I have used the wireless router most of the time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have used wireless in just about every motel/hotel that we have stayed in, seems to be pretty standard today

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Mike, glad to hear you got what you were looking for. Here in Michigan most of the Burger Kings also have free high speed internet service as do most large chain motels. You will be surprised just how many places have free internet service.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Mike, last year we bought my daughter an Toshiba M35X S111. Great little computer, but it does not have an embedded wireless card (wireless is not built in). I don't think your model has a built in wireless card either. I took my IBM (it does have built in 802.11g) with me on my trip to Alaska and many of the motels now have wireless access for free. But not the more expensive hotels, they usually charge $10/day, go figure???

Also, there are more and more places that offer wireless hotspots, some for free, some for a fee. Places like restaraunts, coffee houses, bars, here in Texas some of the rest areas have free hot spot access. We stopped in Jasper, Alberta CA and found a little coffee shop that had excellent wireless service. It was fun sitting there updating e-mail and browsing the web.

I would recommend you buy an 802.11g wireless card to take with your computer. If you don't do this, make sure you take an ethernet cable, this is a cable with an RJ45 jack (looks like a phone but is a little bit larger). Most motels will have a cable connection as well (but I have found some who offer wireless but not ethernet cable).

Dial-up is the worst of all worlds. Sometimes it works, sometimes you can't get through the motels switchboard, sometimes when you do the connection is very flaky (up and down), but always it is very, very slow.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Mike,
Looking at the specs, if you have this exact one, then it has wireless built in:
ATI Radeon XPress 200M with up to 64 MB of shared video RAM; 54g Wi-Fi connectivity
Check your computer settings under networking to be sure.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Specs look good. I see it has built-in Wifi and RJ-45 ethernet as well as modem communication. That's about all you can ask for. I Wifi at home all of the time, and often on the road. Many libraries and small coffee shops have free Wifi, where Starbucks and airports have Tmobile and other for-fee spots that are only worth while IMHO, if you can write it off for business.

I just had bad experinces with Toshibas at work, so I stay away from them - but that may have been isolated to the batch we had once.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy ! Not having a mouse yet really cramps my style.....LOL
This puter is ready for the net...(Wireless)

The M115-S1071 has an integrated 802.11b/g wireless-LAN that enables you to easily connect at wireless hotspots wherever you roam You get a fairly basic offering of connectivity options:

4 USB 2.0 ports for connecting a wide range of peripherals--from digital cameras to MP3 players
1 VGA monitor port
1 S-Video out
1 PCMCIA (or PC Card) slot (Type II, PCMCIA R2.01, PC Card16, CardBus)
1 headphone jack, 1 microphone jack

·
Registered
732 Posts
Mike....Go to Wally World and get the Microsoft wireless mouse.
The controller for the mouse plugs into a USB port on the laptop and when it's not in use it clips into the bottom of the mouse (that's the way you turn it off so you don't run down the batteries) for storage. Runs a little over $22.00 and can fit into the computer case for traveling.
I like mine.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I stayed at about a dozen motels on my trip this summer. The first one actually had a cable jack in the room. All the others were wireless. Of those, 3 had protected access so I had to get a code or password from the desk to use. I took a lot of videos with my digital camera and when we stopped for lunch I would download to the computer so I could reuse my flash cards in the afternoon. Several of the restaurants had wireless available.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've got the same mouse Silver Meteor has, and it works great. It's small and doesn't take up much room in the laptop case.

Dep

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Looks like that one should work great. I used my laptop while traveling all last summer and I had wireless available at most hotels. Of course I look for hotels with high speed internet available. We used my Air Card while in Knoxville due to the very poor wireless speed. I also throw in a few DVDs so if I have some down time can watch something I want to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts