GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 18000 miles I finally pulled the Traxxion Trigger. I knew my Wing was mush, but I truly had no idea how bad it was. The immediate difference for me was night and day, black and white. No placebo effect here. Honda really should be ashamed. All it takes are TWO SPRINGS and some TLC to really make this bike come alive. I did front and rear with the usual mods. I have read posts from others that described "not much difference from stock" and I am truly dumfounded by that statement. I choose Traxxion over some cheaper solutions because I wanted to make sure I covered everything and made my bike the best it could be, and I believe I took a MAJOR step in the right direction. Many thanks to Jim at RaceWorx in Alvarado Texas for a great install and Max McAllister And the folks at Traxxion for giving a damn and constructing a great product specifically for us Wing owners. If you are riding on stock forks, do yourself a huge favor and do SOMETHING! I'll bet simply installing two springs and a little re valving would be head over heels better than the stock setup.
No more bottoming out
No more decel wobble
No more 1" of travel
No more cupped tires
My Wing is now complete. Truly the world class touring machine it was intended to be. Max says "You only know the best you have ridden" ......well my bar has just been raised!:bow::bow:

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
And your cost was ?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I am not doubting your satisfaction, but how can you say "no more cupping" ?
How many miles have you on the upgrade?

I wish I could afford the upgrade, but at this time I can't.

I do wonder why they need servicing so frequently......

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were out the door at about $2,300. The front service is at 20,000 miles and the rear at 50,000. I think that's reasonable. I fully expect by what I have researched and what Jim told me that my cupping issues will disappear as long as I do my due diligence with air pressure. I'm thinking positive. Here we go......:popcorn:

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
The Traxxion reduces cupping until about 13K for me vs 5K on a stock suspension

Wait until you get use to it. It just gets better

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've just finished putting 12K on my Full Monty setup and had new tires installed at the same time.
The rear tire is now bald, and the front is about 3/4 worn, but it has no cupping at all, and I tend to run at lower tire pressures than most.

ktmhk53

·
Registered
24,624 Posts

Two reasons they need service.

Number one is the oil in the forks does break down. When you drain it you can dip your fingers into it and it is lighter, almost like water. Although it does not collect engine carbon and such like engine oil it does with time tend to lose its viscosity. You are also entering the area of those who like and demand performance so all components are checked, if a bushing is worn you replace it , if a lower fork case is worn you change it. That seems to be a not uncommon thing , the lower fork cases tend to wear. Actually wear out.

Number two is as with all things. Naturally repeat calls and repeat service is desired by any company with any product. So money is the name , service at the mother company is asked for .

But they also sell a service kit, simple tools that make fork service easy. Anyone can do it. Well maybe not anyone, but with just basic mechanical skills it is a simple job.

Race Tech is a good alternative for the front forks, if money and budget is tight. It has a different feel, more of a slower effect, not as quick but fully adequate. No savings on the rear though, and I think the rear shock is even higher priced .

As for cupping of the tires, I have had none, since the installation of the Traxxion system. When a suspension system keeps the tires in contact with the road, it helps greatly with even tire wear. You are not hopping and skipping down the road. There will be the unavoidable slight cupping or feathering on the leading edge of the tread, worse on some tire tread design than others, does depend on the tread design, but instead of huge dips in the tread that make the tire look like a lump, you have to study the tire to see the slight cupping. No more of that lumpy tire you can see across the parking lot. Those lumpy tires are caused by the tires skipping around the corners instead of rolling around them.

It is present all the time with a stock suspension. You may not notice it but it is there. And if you like to play sometimes and a road is a bit uneven in the curves the stock suspension will jump the bike sideways in the curves, crow hop around it, so that cups the tires. Once it starts it just gets worse.

Traxxion will hold the bike on a fixed line, it does not crow hop all over the road. Nor does it settle down in a curve , hence better cornering and performance .

The difference in the big 1800 between stock and Traxxion is hard to explain, but it is a huge improvement. It is a different bike.

You have to watch it though, you will tend to run faster. Gotta watch out for those blue lights. :joke: makes slow speed riding easy too, bike just holds the line, does not wander all over the road.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts

He's right. A Traxxion upgrade will end cupping. I've ridden probably 200k miles on 2 different 1800's with the upgrade and have yet to cup a tire. :thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tire cupping

Thanks for the back up guys!
I am no scientist, but my thoughts are that the forces that start the decel wobble are always there. Many say "just don't take your hands off the bars" and the problem is solved. I say NO IT'S NOT! The simple fact that the front end wants to shake is simply wrong. I believe the front end "wanting" to shake is what cups tires. Stopping it at the bars does not make that tendency go away. I want a bike that does not naturally want to tank slap. To me, that's not acceptable, not correct, and dangerous.
PROBLEM SOLVED.........:wrong:

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
As stated before the problem with the cupping problem is the poor oem suspension not the tires.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
The Traxxion stuff has worked for me on 4 out of 4 GL1800s. Last tire change, I got 21k out of the front and 18k out of the rear (towing a trailer 100% of those miles). Nice even wear on Stones (36 psi front, 41 psi rear). Before Traxxion, I would go through 3 sets of tires (instead of one) due to cupping to get that same amount of mileage.

As I've said before, the Traxxion upgrade is the one and only mod I've made that pays for its self (in tires/labor)....as long as you ride it. Roughly speaking and for me, in 60k miles, the Traxxion stuff has paid for itself in savings plus the benefit of much better handling, ground clearance and the feel of the bike. As an added benefit, pre-Traxxion, if I were planning a 4,000 mile trip and already had 3-4k on my tires, I would change them as not to have to deal with worn-out tires on the trip. I was changing tires everytime I turned around. I'll head out on that same trip these days with 10-12k on a set and never give it a second thought.

Pre-Traxxion, this is how I tried to handle my cupping problem.

Z

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Just changed my rear tire yesterday... here are some pics.

Running 1300 lb spring in rear, 1.3's up front, billet lower triple tree, kury gen 2 fork brace.

Stoner Front - 42 psi --- 12 to 15 K - no cupping but minimum feathering at end of life
Metzler Rear - 43 psi --- did not do as good of a job maintaining pressures on this tire, but still good example to use for wear inspection. Tire actually has 5 sides to is where most winger's have 3.

Talk is cheap, anybody can go straight, wanna impress me with your skillz then show me your used tires.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting...I have 50k miles on the stock suspension. Never had any issues with cupping. Running Stones with 37 front and 42 rear air.
So according to the above posts since I've never had cupping my suspension must be working ok. Right? :shrug:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Interesting...I have 50k miles on the stock suspension. Never had any issues with cupping. Running Stones with 37 front and 42 rear air.
So according to the above posts since I've never had cupping my suspension must be working ok. Right? :shrug:
They why are you in this thread? Your bike is perfect. Don't change a thing.:wrong:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
..I wish I could afford the upgrade, but at this time I can't.
Yes, the expensive full upgrade will improve the handling.
But if you only want to eliminate "cupping", that is far cheaper.

easy...
1) Traxxion Springs to replace the OEM's
2) A good 3 piece fork brace
3) Disable the the AD !!!
4) Run a Bridgestone on the front at NO MORE THAN 36 psi.

... about $400 (not counting the tire)

The first 15-20 thousand miles on the 'wing and I had all the usual cupping problems.
The next 100,000 miles on the 'wing with the above (1-4) setup and no more cupping.

Cupping is caused by the tire "squishing" when the inadequate OEM suspension bottoms out or locks out (with the AD)..
.. then, the poor tire tries (but fails) to become the suspension.
.. I'm really surprised that it lasts as long as it does with the stock suspension.

So, give the tire a break by putting some real suspension on the bike.
The full monty if you can justify and afford it..
.. or a couple of "real" springs and disable the AD if you can't.
... that will pay for itself in about 2-3 tires.

This only "cures" cupping.
It does not cure the wobble (if you have it).

Dennis

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DJ Fire...... NICE TIRE!
It appears you have everything dialed in as good as it gets. Great job! I'm looking forward to good results like that and my tires not buzzing and singing to me in the corners!:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Thank ya!

Not easy to do as a "flatlander" but a few *ahem* few spirited runs at the gap fixed all that. Had rubber particles all over the back of the bike!

ahhhh

good times
good times

FYI - if you are going to TX-X2's event in Houston on Aug 20th you may feel free to test my bike out if you wish. I will be there doing a demo and riding consultation. Open to ALL riders, not just GWRRA.

·
Vendor
10 Posts

One thing I wanted to comment on, service.
When we recommend service we are not recommending service for our components as much as we are for the OEM components. Like Kit said the oil breaks down over mileage and time. So the fork will perform better with fresh oil but the main reason we recommend servicing the forks every 20K - 25K is for the OEM seals and OEM bushings. They simply wear out. The seals are pieces of rubber rubbing up and down on steel tubes, they will eventually leak. The bushings are teflon coated bushings. The Teflon wears off, from what we have found around 20K. Once the slick Teflon coating has worn off it is metal on metal rubbing up and down in the fork. If left untreated the bushing will start to wear the ID of the lower leg. It will eventually take the ID of the inner tube from round to more of an oval shape. This creates extra slop in the forks and gives the noodlie feeling similar to loose steering head bearings.
So, no matter what you have inside your forks OEM, Traxxion, RaceTech, Billy Joe Bob Suspension Guru who was Nicky Hayden's mechanic in high school, you need to service your forks.
That is all, carry on.

DJ - Be nice! ;)

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Easy, I sound out the words, letter by letter... nnnnnoooooooo mmmmooooorrrreeeeeee cccuuuuuuupppppiiiinnnnggggggggg. Then, I practice it a few more times and once I have practiced enough it sound like "no more cupping WOOHOO yeah BOY!"

All joking aside...

My tires do not cup.
I have Traxxion's strongest setup.
I am usually very anal about my tire pressures
I am an aggressive rider both low and higher speed.

I had 112,xxx miles on my 06' with the traxxion before I sold the bike. I purchased my 07 before I sold my 06 so I could swap everything over and I do mean everything not OEM + several OEM parts. My Traxxion was swapped between the bikes.

I have over 150,000 miles with the traxxion setup and I dare say I have hit it with every single scenario you can think of and she has passed with flying, and I mean FLYING, colors.

The suspension has handled everything I have been able to throw at it thus far and that is seriously saying something.

When you can, start aquiring the parts and get em on the bike when you can.

Just look a few posts prior and you will see the rear tire I just changed yesterday. The front tire will be done on Monday. It's not done yet but somebody else wants to try a stoner out with a car tire so we made a little deal. He's buying my used front tire and my centramatics. *I have 2 sets.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts