GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We are excited. One Tuesday The Trike Shop in Daytona will start building our new 2009 Pearl Hot Rod Yellow Honda Roadsmith trike. We were previous Harley riders for six years and loved traveling all over Florida on our bikes. I rode a Roadking and my wife road a Custom Softail. Enough about Harleys. We love the GoldWing and think it is very best motorcycle to trike. We just have to get used to all the gadgets. We have never even had a radio.

Problem to solve? We travel the country in a 43' Bus type motorhome. What a problem it is to add a trike to our toys!! We also explore the back country in a modified Jeep, and pull the Jeep behind the Motorhome. The Jeep is also used as our everyday driver.

Are there any motorhomers out there with this type situation? What do you use to tow your toys. I know a few use the huge enclosed 30' long double decker trailers, but as you know traveling and making numerous stops, the RV Parks are just not constructed to handle 75'. With our 4 years RV experience, and visiting many RV Parks. The 30' trailer would be a nightmare.

We are looking into a Car dolly that can be custom built by Overbuilt in NY. The Car dolly is constructed with a 10' deck in front. Does anyone have this setup. Overbuilt has built a trike deck with a car dolly, but they do not keep records. Too bad. It would be nice to talk to someone that has this set up. Hoping to find someone here.

Here is a picture: pics of trike dolly.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to get to Montrose, Colorado where we spend June through August exploring the area. Then off to Utah. We really missed riding. Hoping to meet you on the road. As I said we also stay in Florida, and keep our Motorhome and toys in Okeechobee, Florida.

Thanks,

Gary
Have not done our profile yet

·
Registered
119 Posts
Trailer

Congradulations on your new Trike. Trying to haul all of your toys with you at the same time can sometimes be a problem. I had a trailer built to haul our Trike, it's only a 6x10 with a 3ft V-nose but it's nice. It's a Class Act, with ACT standing for Aluminum Cargo Trailer. All they build are cargo trailers, there web site I believe is www.classacttrailers.com I went through the factory when I ordered mine and they make everything from 5x8's to double deckers. You may want to check them out, you could load your trike above your jeep.
I'm not associated with them at all, just saying they build a nice trailer. I can walk all over the roof of mine thats how well it's built. Good luck what ever you do. :lol:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Congrats on both

Curious what RV you have a 43 ft.

I have the Tiffin 42QRP and have had similar experiences. Initially I had a two wheel Goldwing and looked at the Race City for it. We could not come up with a mutual solution simply because the Gold Wing's exterior dimensions exceeding the recommended width to carry behind the RV. We had thought of a diagnole solution but nothing worked so I went with an Overbilt lift that is welded to the bike. Yes, the bike is still carried across the back, but it seemed more functional as I could tow my Tahoe 4 wheels down behind it.

I've recently switched to a Trike, a CSC Cobra so the lift won't work. I talked to them about possible solutions but the weight distribution just caused too many issues.

So, I'm looking at a Rocket Trailer to tow the Trike. We figure we will either tow the Tahoe or tow the Trike, not both. If I had to evacuate, I could go as far as hauling my smaller 850 Suzuki on the back of the lift, the Tahoe behind it and the trike behind it. Makes for a long setup but if I'm evacuating for a hurricane, I don't really care.

Race City makes some great products and have some good people on staff to look at your situation. At least they did a few years back when I was talking to them about my solution. They won't build it unless they are confiden that it will do what you need, which I like. As long as you have somewhere to put the trailer when you get to an RV park your set. That's another reason I steer away from hauling their trailer, but that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
258 Posts
We downsized the RV to a Monaco with slides and put our TriCar and car in an enclosed trailer behind it. It has served us well this winter. Have been on the road over 3 months now. I like the enclosed trailer as it puts the TriCar out of the weather if it can't be rode. We back the car in nose and the TriCar in the tail. The TriCar being almost as wide as the wheel wells works good on the back and I am still putting the heavier front end over the tandam axle, and the car has the heavy end over the axle also. We run the TriCar in the trailer at night (out of site out of the weather).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi to everyone,

Thanks for the responses. We contacted Race City, and they will be making our trailer.

Still waiting on the trike. Hi MARY.:lol:

Gary

·
Registered
278 Posts
I realize this is a old thread but how do you like the trailer they built for you by now?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts