GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few short weeks my wife and I will have our very first trike. We have done 49 states on two wheeled Wings and decided that, "it's time", to go over to the 3 wheeled world....
My first question I have is.
On the Wing I was using the aftermarket BigBikeParts tire guard TPMS. It worked wonderful and I would like to have the same thing for the trike. I have found that they no longer have the trike TPMS. What are other using ?????
I was told they could use the factory TPMS when they build my trike, but I personally do not care for the factory TPMS. So I'm looking for recommendations ? Any and all help is appreciated....
Bill W.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I don't know about the factory TPMS but I agree with you on not liking it. When I bought my '13 trike it was disabled. It seems odd they would say it would work since you will now have 3 wheels. There is a system out there where you can buy sensors to make it work on a trike, however I can't remember the name of it. A google search should put you in the right direction and IMHO that system should be much better than the one on the bike.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,, I'm in the mist of researching them now. Just wanted to see if there's any that others would recommend.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Big Bike parts makes one for a bike and trailer. I used it when I was on a trike and used the trailer sensors for the rear wheels and the front sensor for the front. Honda direct line had them on sale recently.

Reactions: Pop N Fresh

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've done the same as bnordt04. Bike/Trailer sensors cover the Trike and saves me the cost of another unit .:thumbup:
I just have to monitor the trailer manually when I'm pulling it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I believe Doran makes a TPMS for a trike.

Ah yes...http://wingstuff.com/products/26849...system-3-wheel?context=tire_pressure_monitors

I ran a TPMS on my 2-wheel Wing but never felt the need so much since I've triked. I'm pretty sure if a tire goes down I'm not going to fall over. :)
The Doran system works well....but the problem with it is that the batteries are not replaceable......very disappointing!
I have a Garmin Zumo 395 that has a built in TPMS....all you do is buy three sensors and your trike is covered.
The batteries are replaceable....:wink2:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
The Doran system works well....but the problem with it is that the batteries are not replaceable......very disappointing!
I ditched Doran for that very reason. 80 bucks for new ones when they fail and that is every two years. They act like they are a bargain when you go to buy them. Phooey on that.

Reactions: Pop N Fresh

·
Registered
678 Posts
Garmins sensor caps are $69.99 per cap plus shipping you can buy the FOBO for tikes for $172.00 with metal valve stems including shipping. The system runs off of a app for your phone [that is a smart phone ] I just bought the FOBO for trikes and they will be here on Friday so i will see how easy it is to set up.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Garmins sensor caps are $69.99 per cap plus shipping you can buy the FOBO for tikes for $172.00 with metal valve stems including shipping. The system runs off of a app for your phone [that is a smart phone ] I just bought the FOBO for trikes and they will be here on Friday so i will see how easy it is to set up.
Fobo wasn’t an option for me....I know people will think I’m a dinosaur......But I don’t have a smart phone
I will put off buying one as long as I can....but I know some day I will have to comfrom.....lol

·
Registered
678 Posts
I also have a garmin 595 but I do not always have it on the bike that is why i went with the FOBO system as i always have my phone with me but i will say to me the biggest draw back with using the FOBO is that my Phone is in the phone holder on my side or in the trunk as i choose not to be bothered or tempted by it. So i will not hear or get any alerts while I am diving . So i would think that if you have your garmin on your bike all the time that would be the best TPMS choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts