GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back (november I think) someone posted a NEW part number for the trunk latch assembly that Honda came outh with to 'fix' the saddlebag problem. I printed it out in case I had the problem...... guess what....I got the problem now I cant find the printout.... anybody have the part number out there????? Thanks in advance :oops:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Rusty,
I remember the post but can't help you with the part #. This is a warranty item. Your dealer will replace it with whatever part comes from Honda whether it is the new part or not. Mine was replaced last summer. So far so good.

G

·
RustyA said:
A while back (november I think) someone posted a NEW part number for the trunk latch assembly that Honda came outh with to 'fix' the saddlebag problem. I printed it out in case I had the problem...... guess what....I got the problem now I cant find the printout.... anybody have the part number out there????? Thanks in advance :oops:
Hi Rusty:

I also have an 02 in Illusion Blue. Just got it last fall hand haven't done much riding on it yet, but I was not aware of a trunk latch problem. It was a dealer demo so maybe the dealer already corrected it, along with the frame fix and the ECM fix and just never mentioned it. I do not have a problem with the trunk latch...it seems to work fine. What exactly is the problem with them?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you pull on the lever to open the left saddle bag you hear a pop sound and then there is absolutely no tension on the lever. The bag does not open.... you have to go thru the trunk and use the emergency opener thru a little hole in the floor of the trunk.... a big pain in the :evil: when you have your stuff in trunk... I took her in to the Honda Shop and will get a new latch.. this is the 3rd one for me so I was hoping to get the new assembly is there was one.... the assembly is $200-250 (I forget what I was told :shock: ) anyway a extended warrenty looks real good for just replacing this assembly twice!!!

G

·
RustyA said:
When you pull on the lever to open the left saddle bag you hear a pop sound and then there is absolutely no tension on the lever. The bag does not open.... you have to go thru the trunk and use the emergency opener thru a little hole in the floor of the trunk.... a big pain in the :evil: when you have your stuff in trunk... I took her in to the Honda Shop and will get a new latch.. this is the 3rd one for me so I was hoping to get the new assembly is there was one.... the assembly is $200-250 (I forget what I was told :shock: ) anyway a extended warrenty looks real good for just replacing this assembly twice!!!
Hi Rusty:

I have not encountered that problem..at least not yet. I have about 2 1/2 years of warranty left, so hopefully if the problem is there, it will raise its ugly head before then. Thanks for the heads up. And I will question my service manager about it next time I see him.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I copied this from the board quite awhile back. Maybe it will help.

The new latch assembly for both sides and the top has a part # of #81310-MCA-A21 (it is a replacement for the old style #81310-MCA-003).

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Any of you guys have the "LATCH PROBLEM" get it fixed by HONDA. This is the only way that we can get the word out to Honda, that this problem is systemic and a real PIA.

Lots of guys are going to tell you to fix it yourself. No way Jose for me!

Bulldog

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had the problem last summer while on vacation. Stopped at a dealer in either Mississippi or Alabama up by the Tennessee border. They took her back to the shop and brought her back in about 30 minutes. The bag latch has been fine ever since!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts