GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
OK so I know this question has been asked quite a few times about wind buffeting, especially with the passenger. Usually common answers are getting baker wings (under the mirrors), and getting a taller windshield.

But my question is...what are some solutions for us shorter riders? I already have the wings installed, and my wife can't tell a difference. When we are driving down the highway, I raise my hand over my helmet and I can really feel the wind that is hitting her helmet, causing the buffeting...drives her nuts.

The simple solution would be to get a taller windshield like a tulsa...but then there is a problem of seeing over the windshield. I'd prefer to look over it, and I think that is a common preference; I don't think its good advice to have a windshield that you look through all the time, correct?

Any ideas? Thanks!
Zigs

·
Registered
162 Posts
buffeting

I'm 5'5" and have the vstream windshield. I can look over the top and no wind hits my helmet. I also traded in the Baker hand and airwings for the Kuryakyn dragon wings and my wife thinks that helped even more. Ugly as it is we also have the airfoil. I don't think we can improve any more than this. I'm sure taller riders have different needs. This is certainly no one size fits all.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I look through mine 100% of the time with no problems. Just depends which is more important your wife's comfort or looking over the shield.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Any chance you can trade for a shorter wife?:lol:

On a serious note, I have always been told the 'proper' way (whatever that is) is to be able to look over the shield. However, the last two shields I have had (Tulsa Extra Tall and an F4+4) i had to look through them. The only time either of them ever caused a problem was during darkness, while it was raining on a curvy WV road, and I couldn't see through the F4. The shield probably would have performed better but it was pretty dirty and covered with bugs. Good luck.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I look through mine 100% of the time with no problems. Just depends which is more important your wife's comfort or looking over the shield.
:agree::agree: I like looking over the windshield but, after buying a clearview shield that is 2" taller then stock I got used to looking thru it & now I prefer looking thru the shield to the buffeting. I would look over a shield but only if it provided no buffeting. I find looking thru the shield no big deal, same as driving a cage LOL, but the buffeting that our passengers get at hwy speeds 75 to 85 is not any fun. The #1 reason I ride a bike is FUN & I'm lucky she enjoys it also. :thumbup:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have heard of folks putting a shield on the back...I think Kury makes one... I haven't had this problem but I'm interested in seeing how the solution is solved.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for your advice so far. Part of the problem here is that my wife IS short, lol. Im like 5' 9" and she is an inch or so shorter than me.

I've heard of the windbender...need to see opinions of others on here that have it...see what they think.

I prefer to look over the windshield...not sure how to describe it...I just feel safer that way. Just like how I wear my glasses all the time...seems like second nature and I feel weird when I do it differently.

Buckaroo...can you describe the airfoil? Im not too familiar with that...if its a specific product or if Im just having a brainfart.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
That air foil is a total waste of money ($120)
Is supposed to eliminate "back draft".
Looks terrible
Your bike cover will no longer fit.
Very little difference.
Mine ended up in the trash!
If you want to stop her helmet buffeting-taller/wider shield and learn to look through it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
When I bought my bike the stock shield was all the way up so I just got used to looking thru it. This spring I changed it out for a F4+4 which is both taller & wider than stock and it makes a difference in the amount of wind turbulence while riding. My work coat has a hood & with the stock shield it would flop around & would come up over the helmet and the adjustment string would beat on the helmet anytime I was over about 40 mph, this doesn't happen with the F4. My 6 yr old daughter has said the wind was better with it too, wife hasn't been on it yet with new shield so no comparison there. I think having a vent in the shield helps too since it helps fill in the dead air space behind the shield in addition to helping on hot days.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Looks terrible
Very little difference.
If you want to stop her helmet buffeting-taller/wider shield and learn to look through it.
I've had the opposite experience. When I installed the Kury Windfoil, my wife felt an immediate and dramatic difference. The buffeting used to really tire her out, and she could not ride more than half a day, even with frequent breaks. Now she can ride all day long without tiring.

I have a +4 windshield (had it before the windfoil also) and no baker wings, so I think it is clear that the windfoil made the difference for her. I don't think it looks "awful," but I do agree it's not the most attractive addition to my bike. My wife is, and this keeps her on the bike and happy! From prior forum discussions about this product, it seems it works best for shorter passengers. My wife is only five feet tall. Some whose wives were considerably taller seemed to get less satisfactory results.

I use a half cover, and it still does it's job, it just doesn't fit fully under the trunk because of the windfoil.

They are a bit pricey, so I'd suggest finding a way to try one out before buying. If you were anywhere close to me, I'd be happy to give your wife a ride to see how it works for her. Will you be at RG!!?

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
Looks terrible
Very little difference.
I agree. The air foil is a poor solution all around.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Thanks guys for your advice so far. Part of the problem here is that my wife IS short, lol. Im like 5' 9" and she is an inch or so shorter than me.

I've heard of the windbender...need to see opinions of others on here that have it...see what they think.

I prefer to look over the windshield...not sure how to describe it...I just feel safer that way. Just like how I wear my glasses all the time...seems like second nature and I feel weird when I do it differently.

Buckaroo...can you describe the airfoil? Im not too familiar with that...if its a specific product or if Im just having a brainfart.
I am only 5'10" and wife is 5'6" we bought a standard height V-Steam from Bulldog here on the board and it works very well. My wife liked the different feel right from the start. I also can look over the sheild no problem. So I myself give V-Stream and Bulldog a big :yes1: up

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a Tulsa Extra Tall and love it. I see a lot of people who think it is necessary to look over, but it really works great for me. I guess there is some disadvantage when riding in the rain, but who does that very often? Try riding someone's bike where you look thru, with an open mind, and maybe you can adjust?????;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
cheap fix - try raising your windshield. My wife is 5'7" and complains about the buffeting. Raise it 1 click at a time till she is happy - worked for us and didn't cost a dime....paul

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I do not think there is any one perfect solution.

I like to look over the shield myself, I cannot stand something in my line of sight. So I run a short Cee Baily sport shield. At slower speeds say under 55 it has its own unique buffet but at higher speeds it smooths right out, just like a bike with no shield basically. Still it blocks the air enough you do not have that constant drag on upper body and helmet to tire out your neck.

Try taking your shield off, go for a ride, see if she likes that, if so a short shield will work well. And they set up the prefect airflow in rain, air hits your helmet visor just right to keep it clear.

Then maybe a taller one with a laminar lip the rest of the time.

Also the bar riser kits change the air flow a lot too, and can create more or less of that depending on where they are set. That seems to work hand in hand with the air flow also.

As for that rear shield thing, do not know if it works or not, I looked at it once and decided, ya know that thing is just right to crack some ribs in a fall off, or cut you in half. That is why I do not like that.

·
Registered
921 Posts
With the wind here on the prairies i went to the f4-4 and my wife found she had very little buffeting. Worst thing was i had to learn to look thru the sheild not over it. Gotta keep the better half happy too.....;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
The airfoil works very well for us. It also stops the back draft when riding solo. Whether it looks good or not is nothing more than an opinion. I've had a half a dozen different shields and the vstream is the only one I can look over with out wind hitting my helmet. Another help is having the shield vent open and the sliding vents on the dragon wings open. This breaks the air pressure pocket behind the shield that causes some buffeting and sometimes a pounding sound in your ears Once again, I am shorter than you at 5'5" and my wife is maybe 5' so our situation may not be the same as yours.
I have a pair of Baker air wings that anyone can have for free if they want to pick them up in Albuquerque. Some corrosion on the bottom of the metal. Can't be seen when on the bike but they could be painted.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts