GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you electronics dudes.

I purchased a new CB from Hal during the Labor Day sale period. The CB was advertised as a New Version. Or, it might have said the latest model. I believe the box that the new model came in was marked or dated as of June 2006.

What is the difference in the New version compared to the older ones?

The reason I need to know...

When I took the bike to a shop to get the CB installed, the box that came back with me was not the box that went in with the bike. I am pretty sure the box read, June 2006. The box I have now says: Fits 2001

·
Registered
826 Posts
The early units had some problems. Open up the cover in the trunk and look at the date stamped on the unit. Make sure it is yours. The serial no. is on top also. Maybe they just gave you the wrong box. Or maybe they switched units on you.

I am no electronic dude but did stay in a Holiday Inn one time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BINGO...

Thanks Terpen, I can now rest. I am glad you stayed in that Holiday Inn Express.

The date that I remembered seeing was on top of the radio unit. Yep, June 2006.

I do have the horn noise and a lot of highline wire noise when passing under wires or around transformers.

The installer left me a note saying that a filter was faulty and should be warranted by Honda.

?????

·
Registered
239 Posts
SSB ?

Should I assume that the Honda CB radios are strictly SSB, Single Sideband, rather than AM transceivers? If so, is it upper-sideband or lower-sideband? If sideband, can it be switched to AM?

I haven't looked into CB in years and don't know if AM is still in common use.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No sideband. AM only

·
Registered
239 Posts
White Wing said:
No sideband. AM only
Thanks White Wing.... I have to admit that I'm surprised. I thought that SSB would be the common mode these days due to the CB 40-channel limit and likely high traffic volume.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Traffic volume has decreased considerably since the 70's and 80's due to the advent of cell phones and FRS/GMRS radios, although it's still common to receive skip from pretty much anywhere. It's easy to find an open channel, even on the interstate.

SSB doesn't increase the number of available channels. It does increase your effective transmitted power, however.

Arthur

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I now have the issue of this radio being the one I bought from Hal & CO resolved.

I have been busy for several days and not had time to look into the faulty filter deal. Where do I start?

The problems I am having are (1) the horn static when honked (2) real harsh static when passing under power lines or driving by a transformer to a house.

I used to play with CB's back in the 70"s, but not in the tech. sense. I do know that this static is not normal.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The horn feedback or static, and the harsh static when passing under power lines, etc., shouldn't be normal - but is, with Honda's CB. Whether or not you have a faulty filter I can't say, but your symptoms are, in fact, normal. At least, they are the same for me and for everyone else I ride with. The only remedy is to increase your squelch.

I normally turn my CB off if I'm riding in town. If I'm riding in a group I'll try to reduce the static by increasing squelch to max and/or grin and bear it. As for the horn static, I don't know how high the squelch needs to be set as I don't use the horn much, even less so with the CB on.

Arthur

·
Registered
11 Posts
Faulty Hondaline CB Radios...

I am on my second Hondaline CB radio on my 2002 GL1800. This is my fourth Goldwing.

1. It has the range of a automobile door key fob.
2. If CB is on and I hit the horn...It comes across my headsets and/or front speakers!!

Honda Incorporated won't stand behind their own electronics, hence neither does the dealer that sold me the bike. I have paid hundreds of dollars to my local dealer to fix the above CB/horn and passenger intercom-cruise control feedback issues...to no avail or satisfaction. It's a "Lose-lose" situation with Honda Inc and the dealer here in Arizona.

Therefore, I will never purchase another Honda motorcycle. That Harley Ultra-Classic Fuelie or Beemer is looking alot better the next go-around to me!!

Kent

·
Registered
20,948 Posts
if u think a Harley or BMW- Bring My Wallet CB will work any better u are mistaken

its pretty easy to adjust the squelch to avoid the noises in those hi noise areas, u just need to get used to doing it or turn off the CB in those areas

the horn issue, i think mine only does it if the FM is turned off while the CB is on, i rarely turn the FM off so its pretty rare that it happens to me, it shouldn't happen ever but i can live with it

if u decide to switch to another brand i hope it worksout great, plenty of nice motorcycles to pick from

1 - 11 of 11 Posts