GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Watch it lean as the car pulls out of the driveway. You would have to strap the forks down so tight it could not get slack in those tie downs. It's the beginning of a new way to tow but still has bugs.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I remember seeing something like that a few years back. I don't think it's 'new'.

Also, when she rides the bike up onto the wheel stop - what's holding the bike up while she gets off and attaches the straps? That part seems a bit precarious...

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
looks like great way and easy store . dont know if would want rear tire/wheel on ground for long trip . adds miles to bike also ? did it show price $$ ??

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Trailers

Thanks for the post. doesn't look like something I would be interested in. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
654 Posts
Saw something similar back in 04-05. I'd be concerned of stresses put on the forks while towing myself. Maybe a good way for short or emergency situations. But I'd rather just ride the bike.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Looks ok for a small dirt bike... but I'd never use it for anything over 600cc. I didn't like the way that VTX looked as she began her turn when the clip ended. Looked like a lot of stress on the forks & down tube for the triple tree.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That is scary. Can you imagine the weight of a Goldwing on it? The tie down straps might do better if they were to the corners of the bumper. Anyway.. thanks but no thanks.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Looks iffy to me, especially the way it leaned in the wrong direction when she turned. From the time she rode it up it looks insecure, I will not be buying this thing.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Seems to me the rear tire would wear alot more?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Toy hauler

My biggest concern would be the ground clearance over speed bumps and ramps at fuel stops.

As for support when getting off my Rampage lift has a similar front wheel chock and it is very steady when getting on and off.

Ed

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I had something very similar in college. It worked well. I towed a bike to and from NH to MT a couple times.

No extra miles on the odo. It did wear the tire on the ground, but I was buying race take offs so it was no big deal.

It does lean to the outside of any sharp corner, but it straightens right up when you go straight.

On my sport bike I removed the chain for my long tows. Not sure what I would do with a shaft?

Biggest issue are the states with mandatory blinkers for anything towed. In MT at the time if you could see the lights of the tow rig you did not need lights on the trailer/towed rig. Not all states were like that, and I was pulled over a few times and had to explain that I was abiding by all MT DOT laws.

·
Registered
758 Posts
One Wheel Tow

Back in the 70s they were quite popular. Haven't seen one in use in years. And definitely not for the touring bike of today.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't like the way the front forks have to be compressed all
the way down. Some bikes don't take kindly to that.
Otherwise, it looks like a good idea within limits.

One other thing to consider. (I don't know this for sure. Just guessing)
But on some bikes, whatever parts are spinning in the transmission may
not be getting lubrication without the motor running. Like I said, I'm
just guessing at that.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Not new at all. I remember those things from years back. I also remember some wasted transmissions resulting from their use.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
There was something like that back in the 60s. You took the front wheel off and used a bolt to go through the forks wheel holes and through a special trailer hitch. It was highly recommended to take the chain off to avoid transmission troubles.

This one is way too low to the ground. Any bump, low spot, or train track would have the bottom of the hitch scraping badly.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
One other thing to consider. (I don't know this for sure. Just guessing)
But on some bikes, whatever parts are spinning in the transmission may
not be getting lubrication without the motor running. Like I said, I'm
just guessing at that.[/QUOTE]

That is a valid concern. If the bike doesn't have a separate transmission oil sump, the engine must be running for the transmission to be lubed.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
The ones sold in the '70s clearly stated that the chain "must be removed". Would the engine need to be running to lube the transmission. There is a reason most towing companies have gone to roll back trucks and trailers. Most also had a cradle that captured the wheel and swung up into place. I would worry about damage to the tire and rim with that one.
Even on a smaller bike I would want the straps to go to attachment point out near the ends of the bump to compensate for the give in the receiver and tongue.
Might use it to haul a scooter.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Our chapter director has one and his 2003 Goldwing trike fell off of it 2 blocks from his house. I would NOT use one if it was me.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
With my 30" inseam I wouldn't be able to have either foot on the ground once it was up there. Right now, I park my bike in a chock in the garage and have to use reverse to get it out because it lifts up too much for me.

Just imagine how dirty that bike will be from the spray coming off the rear of the suv.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts