GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Don Stefanik said:
My web master has been working on my new web site.
Any comments or ideas. I still have to send him some pictures to add.

http://www.soslube.com/tire/
He needs to add a lot more interest to your home page. Currently it's just a straight list with different fonts/colors.

Use a multi-column design, Navigation menus, shaded boxes (often with drop shadows) are big items now. generate a company logo banner at top.

http://www.mcrdb.com/

MCRDB.com is a little cluttered..but I wanted to jam a lot of interesting & useful search/info stuff on the front page.

Plenty of good & more artistic examples out there. Find an example and have him use the design as your design template. He can look at the page source of the example & learn form it. Even Save the page locally, tweak it, analyze it (within reason....some use Dreamweaver, Frontpage, etc...) and he may not have those tools.

Just some thoughts.....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I don't think I will put a dint in Hals sales by anymeans. Just want to help out locals here in Southern Ontario Canada.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Most web users want visual stimulation and information. Also don't overload the user with your initial page. If it is too busy, they may not go inside.

PICTURES lots of PICTURES

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Don,
Your site looks good. Simple and straight forward. If it works for you and your customers, then it is great. There are all kinds of changes that could be made, but they might not make it better. Ask some of your customers what they think. Then make some changes and ask again what customers think, and then compare the results. Don't add things just becasue it is possible. Pay close attention to your own reaction to other web sites. This will give you some ideas of things you might do. If you feel better when you see pictures on other web sites, think about adding some to yours. If you feel less good when you see the same picture over and over and get tired of it, then only add pictures to your site if you are going to change them with some frequency. The same goes for other enhancemests. Just because it is possible to add some "gee whiz" things to your web site doesn't make it a good idea. It is possible to get so many web page enhancments added that people will focus so much on them, they will forget why they came to your web site in the first place.
You've already got some good pictures on your site that show your vehicles and your faming and your other activities. It is good they are there if people don't want to look at them, but they don't get in the way of people who want to buy some oil or tires.
Overall it looks pretty good to me.
JMHO :lol:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Im half and half with it. It looks pretty basic and something that an ordinary person putzing with HTML could create even without a web page program like Dreamweave or Frontpage.

HOWEVER, if it works, great. You said you had a webmaster and I dont know...they charge a lot these days for what they do and this site looks like something anybody could create, not someone who specializes in making them; no offense.

If you want, go out and buy Dreamweaver and create your own. You can do all sorts of fun stuff with it. I used it in college to make a webpage as part of my degree. DONT get Frontpage, it overloads sites with too much HTML junk stuck in there and makes a page take longer to load up.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.
When I say web master....well...he only does this part time. He is NOT an expert on web design. He is a friend and customer and does this for fun.
He did both our other web sites.

Like I said we still have some work to do.

In the end it is for my local area customers to give them an idea of what I have and do.

I really can't compete with other web site retailers. eg. (HDL)

PS. CJS you know what my needs are, and explained it very well. Thanks .

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
i like it because it works fine with a dialup connection

lots of websites get way to complicated and slow for dialup, i guess they just don't realize how many folks use dialup connection

1 - 9 of 9 Posts