GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the inner windscreen flaps and installed an F4 24" windshield today.

The inner flaps are not needed because the F4 windshield is the same width as the flaps and I will not be raising the shield much due to the 24" height. I sit tall enough to see over it easily when fully down. The full down position also provides the most rake or lean back to the windshield which I like. I believe more rake and no recurve minimizes turbulence off the top of the windshield.

I used Fred's videos to remove the mirrors, side cowls, and front windshield garnish. Then the flaps are then easily removed. Thanks Fred.

Below is a photo comparing the Honda 24" accessory shield to the 24" F4. The F4 is 5" wider overall from above the side steps to the top. The lower stepped section matches the inner flaps width. I like this narrower stepped area. It lets some wind blow up the sleeves of my Aerostich suit when I open the arm cuffs on a hot day.

The other photos show the flaps, then removed, and the end result. I'll ride it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a couple hours on the new windshield. It works great and with the F4 there is absolutely no need for those ugly inner flaps that can't be cleaned.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Give them a call, they might be able to fab one up. I wanted the standard size with no recurve so they cut down a 24(?) for me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Okay, I so feel like the Brontosaurus in the room because I am still on my '04 with 128k...but...I mean dude! It runs great, everything works, and it has my stench...oh, and paid for. But this is about the F4. When I bought one in 2009 from Wingstuff, I cleaned it exactly as the manufacturer instructions said to. After a year, it was so covered in fine spider scratches, it was impossible to see thru facing the sun. I left a negative review on Wingstuff. Within a few days, I got an e-mail from the F4 rep. Called him back, and aAfter a quick positive chat, he decided the item was faulty, and not pilot error. Overnighted me a new screen at the cost of a stock Honda windshield (it was over the year warranty). Gotta say, I was very impressed with them standing by their product. The new windshield is now 9 years old and has one nick (a rock from a truck), and one small scratch (my bad using an alligaotr clip to stop static holding dust). I use 1/4 cup fingernail polish remover, 1/4 cup iso-alchohol, and hydrogen peroxide to fill a 12 oz sprayer bottle, and paper towel to clean it. Eats the bugs and cleans quick and nice. Some Plexis sprayed on a terry cloth towel and buffed to dry. Then a hand swiffer from Costco to eliminate the static electricity for dust. It is absolutely as awesome clear as the day I installed it. I cannot say enough about the product, or the rep who was johnny on it to make me right and happy. Now, I am pretty sure both the beast and the windscreen will outlast my sorry decrepit fat butt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a couple hours on the new windshield. It works great and with the F4 there is absolutely no need for those ugly inner flaps that can't be cleaned.
Interesting! I have the F4 and I love it, and I hate those stupid flaps. Never thought about taking them off. Might give it a try!

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Interesting about the little flaps. I hardly ever notice them and when I do what I notice is that they seem to be totally useless or even negative. They seem to intensify the annoying wind jet that goes up my sleeves.

prs

·
Registered
177 Posts
And they are annoying to clean. But since they always have dead bugs on them, maybe it’s better than having them on me?

·
Registered
616 Posts
When I buy an F4 screen (not if, when) it will be the 20" clear with recurve as I'm only 5'8". So I'll have it fully raised from time to time. For that reason I'd choose to keep the tabs on my bike, as they do help to deflect air when the screen is fully raised.

Have to say though it does look nice without them. I'll choose utility over looks however. :)

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
I use 1/4 cup fingernail polish remover, 1/4 cup iso-alchohol, and hydrogen peroxide to fill a 12 oz sprayer bottle, and paper towel to clean it. .

I wouldn't advise using fingernail polish remover containing acetone on shields. I hope its acetone free. It loves to eat plastic.:smile2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts