GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am a puny weakling with a big, fat head wind buffeting really bothers me. I'm thinking of an aftermarket windshield but there are lots to choose from. The two part electric ones are spiffy but too expensive (I spend all my money on my grandkids!! ). I'm 5'9" and thinking the taller ones that lean back might be a good choice. Some are the size of barn doors and I'm wondering how they act behind an 18 wheeler! Got a great one? I'd sure like to hear all about it.............................thanks

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I had a Tulsa on my 98 SE and it was great to hide behind, it leans back far so you have to be careful getting on and off the bike but you get used to it. I'm 5'9" also and find that putting my stock windshield all the way does the job for me.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a hondaline +2" shield on mine, I am 6' 1" . I did like the look of the tulsa sweep back and knew the OEM quality was as good as it gets. I dont disagree that other aftermarket windshields do a better job of protecting pilot and co-pilot but just dont like the look.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Cee Bailey...

I got the Cee Bailey's and glad I did. The difference was wonderful doing the interstate speeds, no head/helmet issues with wind. I did look at the wind bender and thought the price was out of my range.
I figure since they make aircraft windshields they must know what they are doing....

I even PM Fred H...he has both Cee Bailey and the windbinder but uses the binder because it is already mounted. He did say he like the Cee Bailey, but uses the windbender since he has it.

I recommend you look into it even though lots of folks say the clearview is good.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I am 6'4'' and the Extra Tall Tulsa (the old swept back one) keeps me baffle free. (Life baffles me, women baffle me, the bail-out plan baffles me, the IRS baffles me; but the wind is conquered!) You should easily get away with the standard height one. The Extra Tall, and I suppose the standard height one also, did not increase my fuel consumtion or lower my top speed. String cross winds and large dump trucks still move the wing a bit, but no worse. I did hit my head on it a couple of times at first, but now I can hardlt see why that ever happened. I did not think it would be vey durable, but mine has held-up really well. I can be hard to see through when riding slow in rain, at speed the water sheds well.

prs

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Look into the F4 +2 or +4 they dont scratch and you can use windex to clean

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I am 5'9" and because if tinnitus, I am also very bothered by buffeting. In my experience the Tulsa tall (not X-tra tall) offered the quietest ride for me. The only down side is that it is not adjustable.

The F-4 plus 2 is better than stock but not as quiet as Tulsa. It is adjustable.

Hector

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have a Clearview +4, tinted and vented. I'm happy with it and would buy another. After 3 years and some pretty ugly conditions, it's still pretty much spotless:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Lovin' my F4 +4. :cool:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just bought a windshield today. I stopped by a Goldwing shop in Mansfield Texas. I have been eyeing a Tulsa X-Tall. Figured I'd see if they had one for me to look at. They had a Slip-Streamer, X-tall tinted. I actually thought it was a Tulsa when I sat on the owner's wing to see how the height worked for me.

Long story short, they installed it, out the door $215. Hell, it'd cost that much for the Tulsa, and I'd have to install myself. And it came with a vent already installed. No need to change out with my stock vent.

Just came in from riding about 300 miles with it. Love it. But the big test will be Sunday when I take my wife for a ride.

I am 6 foot 1, and it stopped a lot of the wind. And I had to turn my radio down 4 clicks from 15 to 11, and I might drop it one more as it still seems slightly on the loud side.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when the sun comes up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts