GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new windshield. I know about the shields that can be purchased on wingstuff. I'm kind of looking for thoughts on other windshields. I was thinking on the F4 +4 . I'm somewhat new to the wing world. So I'm looking for other options and thoughts. Also thoughts on tinted and no tint. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I purchased the Optic Armor +4 windshield and am very happy with it. Not sure, but I think they may be the manufacturer for the F4 +4.

In any case, it was cheaper than the F4.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I put on a F4+4 clear w/o vent in September and love it !

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
This question is as hard to answer as "what seat should I buy"...no one can tell you what you need on a wing, we are all different...it's a shame that we have to spend lots of money to find out if we like a product or not...but that's life...hope you enjoy the wing world :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
When I bought my bike used, it came with a Tulsa Tall windshield, similar to a F4+4. All my buddies criticized it and said I should go stock.

So, I bought a stock windshield. Within two rides I went back to the Tulsa Tall.

The moral of the story is this - sometimes you waste money trying to make your Wing perfect. You don't know until you try. You may love the F4+4 or you may hate it.
In my case I have a brand new stock windshield to put on my bike when I sell it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
This question is as hard to answer as "what seat should I buy"...no one can tell you what you need on a wing, we are all different...it's a shame that we have to spend lots of money to find out if we like a product or not...but that's life...hope you enjoy the wing world :thumbup:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can say that there was two primary reasons I purchased my Optic Armor +4 :

1) Lots wider and taller, thus blocking the winter wind from me; and
2) Hell of a lot easier to clean the shield.

Mind you, I commute 126 miles a day.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Big money

I understand the thought of spending big money and not really knowing if you will be happy. I guess I'm looking for different companies that make shields. For example the optic armor that was mentioned. I had no idea that company existed. If I find a few then I'll make my decision and live with it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looking to buy a new windshield. I know about the shields that can be purchased on wingstuff. I'm kind of looking for thoughts on other windshields. I was thinking on the F4 +4 . I'm somewhat new to the wing world. So I'm looking for other options and thoughts. Also thoughts on tinted and no tint. Thanks in advance.
Opinion ........
Don't go with tinted,,,,,,, may be nice to have sometimes, and may look good,,,,,,,, but the critical times you may really need to see through it, you want to see as clear as you can ,,,,,, No tint ..........
Vented ..... yep, gotta have a vent ...............

Price ,,,,,don't go with lowest cost (cheapest) just because it does cost less. Go with a high quality windshield up front. It really costs less over the long haul ........

I've had very good success and service from the OEM windshield with the OEM side-wings added on. Sure, it does cost, but in my opinion it IS as good a windshield as about any aftermarket. That said, there are some very good aftermarket windshields available.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I want one that's about 1 inch lower than OEM when it's all the way down. I would like to get it on before spring.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just installed an F4+4 clear with vent yesterday. Wife and I rode for several hours today and we love this shield. It is everything everyone claims, plus some. Although I prefer to look over the shield, my wife was getting a lot of wind so I went the the +4 (F4 Customs tells me that 70% of their sales are +4's). It is so optically clear that it's like not having a windshield at all, and it has reduced the wind hitting my wife to the point that she's no longer bothered. F4 Customs customer service is the best I've seen in a long while.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I totally agree with not going to the tinted windshield, but I am a fan of the vent for sure ;)

From my research, the Optic Armor was the same as the F4, but cheaper.

I love being able to clean it with just Windex and paper towels, something you can't normally do with the other plexiglass windshields.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I totally agree with the comments on staying away from tinted shields if you going to be looking through a taller windshield, but I look over, not through my Windbender so I went with a dark tint and have had no regrets.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Indiana forum

That's a great idea Bob. I usually check that every now and then, but there never seems to be any posts in there. I will post the question there. Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I bought my 2005 a couple of months ago, the PO had replaced the OEM cracked windshield with a Show Chrome Wide model. W/O vent. For me at 6'0" and 32 inch inseam the height is perfect; I just look over the windshield, but can easily duck behind it if a large truck passes or the like. The width seems to help keep wind off my hands etc. Whether not having a vent will bother me is yet to be seen. The shield seems thick and sturdy.

As to cleaning a plexiglass model I wear eyeglasses (as does my wife) and I use the spray available at Wal-Mart and eye doctors for cleaning plastic lenses. Does a great job cleaning w/o scratching. In addition when cleaning the bike I coat the shield with spray detail wax (or Pledge works too); this makes the bugs etc. much easier to remove at cleaning time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cee baily windshields

I had a Cee Bailey windshield on my 1500.......... it was the best I've ever had. After having 2 OEM windshields in only 13,000 miles, the clear coating on the front surface has peeled off. No more OEM crap for me. (no, I didn't use the wrong cleaning solution)

Go here.............http://www.ceebaileys.com/honda/index.html

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I put A Ceebaileys 2" shorter With vent on my 2001 , love it ,am 5'8 so in its lowest position can just see over the top which I like ,interestingly there isn't much buffeting in this position as the air seems to be deflected up and over . In the rain I raise it , the Ceebaileys windshield is stiffer than stock so there is no flexing also it is more squarish tapering less than stock ,all this makes for better wind protection ... Better gas mileage I would think if you have less to push than some of the big boys

1 - 19 of 19 Posts