GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been lurking in this forum for a while now, trying to decide if I wanted a GoldWing. I finally took the plunge and bought a used 2005 Wing. Its pretty good, no problems so far.

Before the wing, I rode a Suzuki Volusia (800 cc cruiser) and that was a great bike. I rode it all over the place, even out as far as Arizona. I changed over to the Wing for more comfortable long rides.

Anyway, I have a Garmin 2610 GPS that I used with a ram mount strapped with a U bolt around the handlebars of my Volusia. I did a little research to figure out how to use a ram mount on my new (to me) wing. For ram mounts, lots of people use the ram adapter that attaches to the clutch/brake reservoir clamp.

I went that route and yes like most people I thought it was too close to me for comfort.

So I decided to go this route instead:

Its called a RAM-STRAP and I purchased this from cyclegadgets.com.

The picture doesn’t show it very well, but it’s a ram ball attached at the corner of a plate that makes a 90 degree bend. The mount comes with two different size stainless steel pipe clamps.

I used the bigger pipe clamp to strap it around the Wings left handle bar, about 2/3rds the way up to the reservoir. The 90 degree angle makes a nice tight fit around the upper forward facing corner of the handle bar. You also get a flat rubber sleeve that fits perfectly around the pipe clamp so the pipe clamp doesn’t mar the handle bar and provides a nice solid grip. Using this method the rubber ball protrudes slightly forward and inboard of the handle bar leg

I used this ram mount with my medium (three inches?) length extension arm which connects to another ram ball that’s bolted to the back of my 2610 motorcycle bracket. It’s been working very well. I adjusted everything so that the GPS is positioned just forward and to the right of the clutch reservoir.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts