GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the plunge this weekend and after a lot of test riding of other bikes, research and general reading, we traded in our 2003 Vulcan 1500 Classic with almost 70,000 miles on a new leftover 2010 yellow GoldWing. We couldn't be more pleased with the Wing though we haven't been able to put more than 150 miles on it since Saturday. It'll take a little getting used to the differences over the Vulcan, not the least of which is superb braking and I'll need to get a drivers backrest and cruise pegs but that's part of the fun.

I rode the Vulcan all over the country but it was time to start taking the wife on the big trips and there's no better bike to do it than the Wing. I'll miss the old Vulcan but it was well past time to upgrade.

I promise to make maximum use of the search function before asking any questions and I promise to never ever start an oil thread.

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome....

I'm pretty new myself. If your happy with the feel of the stock seat, I would suggest you just look into adding a Utopia backrest.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Atta-Boy:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Welcome....

I'm pretty new myself. If your happy with the feel of the stock seat, I would suggest you just look into adding a Utopia backrest.
And if you are NOT happy with the stock seat, I recommend skipping all the pads and other money wasters and just get a Russell DayLong saddle.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Howdy Steve and welcome from the high Rockies of Colorado (where it is SNOWING right now)

I promise to never ever start an oil thread.

Steve
Trying to get on our good side??

I noticed you didn't say anything about crush washers, chrome or riding in flip flops....

Congrats on your new ride, you'll get used to that big grin after a while.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:congrats: Welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of the GoldWing. Have fun and ride safe!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
:congrats: Welcome to Wingdom, you're gonna love the Wing and so will the bride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Welcome. The first 2 things I did was get highway pegs and the Utopia backrest which made a big difference. Most folks on this site will recommend the Utopia backrest. However, there are a lot of different opinions on the pegs - you may want to do a search on the subject before making a decision.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Congrates on the new wing and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Welcome. We live for "oil threads"

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Welcome to the bored/bored. Still raining here and maybe a break tomorrow to ride in the morning. Let the farkle begin!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Steve

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wingers. I just replaced my 98 Wing trike with a 07 trike (Wing of course). I had too because of an accident.

I loved that wing and am looking forward to many many miles on the new wing. First long ride will be a 10 state ride in July.

I know you will love yours and your wife will enjoy the comfort of the ride.

Welcome to the board too.

Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, cruise pegs and a backrest are at the top of the list. So far the seat is fine and I'm not that particular so I'll give it a few thousand miles before calling the seat comfortable or not. I chromed up the Vulcan so I told myself I'd not do that to the Wing and that the mods I did do would be for comfort and practicality. We'll see if I stick with that theory or not.

The deal Honda is running on the 2010's includes $1000.00 accessory credit so we plowed through the catalog while the paperwork was being prepared. We ordered a number of things, none of which were purely "bling" items and about all that's left are the backrest and cruise pegs.

You guys wore out the crush washer subject? What about tires, is that beat to death yet?

Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts