GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've only been reading all of the posts for several days, just trying to learn as much as I can from all of you that have been riding for a while. Anyway, I havent been on a bike in many years and now that my wife and I have hit the Mid 40's we have decided that it's time to buy us a New GoldWing and start having some fun, now that the kids are all out of the house.
My question is this. The bike I've chose is the 2008 Premium Audio, Caliente Red. What are some of the accessories that are a must have for the bike when I pick it up on Feb. 15th, and are there any other things that I need to buy for carrying with me on the bike. Cleaning items, gloves, just whatever.
I really want to be prepared and have everything that I need. I've even signed up for a Motorcycle Safety Course that I'm taking over the coming weekend, just to hone the skills a little before getting back out there.
Thanks for all your help,

David Smith
ValleyRider
Pauls Valley, OK
:doorag:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
You have the right idea, safety first.

Then I suppose a headlight and tail light modulator, good riding armored riding gear and so on.

As for cleaning the bike all you need is a can of lemon pledge and some of those micro rags you can get at the dollar store or auto parts store.

Maybe the handlebar riser/pullback kit if needed.

The rest of the stuff is simply personal choice.

Enjoy your new bike. The 1800 is quite the machine.

Kit

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new wing! I think that the number on accessory is some kind of foot peg. It's the only option that I had the dealer install for the ride home. Attend a get together and you will see lots of options and "personalizations". I would check all fluid levels before you ride very far~ some of us have found them to be low upon purchase. Safety up!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome! your gonna love that machine! As far as accessories, you'll here all kinds of opinions, you'll have to ride an figure out what is important to you. For me on the comfort side it's a backrest (very comfortable) and a butler mug. Next purchase will be highway pegs. As far as safety I added spoiler with brake light and driving lights to be seen better, and riding gear is important to me. I'm not much into the shiny stuff, maybe a little. Use the search feature and you'll find as much info. as you care to read. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That base model is pretty well loaded. My wife likes those transformer passenger foot pegs and arm rests.

Front hi-way pegs are nice.

Since your in Pauls Valley, you may wanna cruise up to Thunder Harley shop in Norman. There, I got a balaclava ( a nice hood that covers the face with eye holes ) for 15 bucks. I put that under my helmet for cold rides - and use dirt bike goggles for the really cold mornings.

Have you been up to Shawnee Honda?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Balaclava

Thanks for the info on the Balaclava. I've seen some of the guys post info about them and they seem to work well. I've only been into Fort Thunder a few dozen times, prior to deciding on the GoldWing. Really thought I was going to get a Ultra Classic when I started looking, but decided on comfort instead.:lol:

·
Registered
246 Posts
You may want to keep a tire repair kit and air pump on the bike. (maybe) I was carrying the rope type. I just purchased Dynaplugs. Looks to be very easy to use.
Here is a link: www.dynaplug.com

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Ride and read for awhile to see what you need before you spend alot of money, unless you have alot to spend. If that's the case, my address is.....

Highway pegs and a utopia backrest.

And as an added accessory...

Gas, and lots of it. You'll find the defect in the gas tank soon enough. The stuff just keeps running right thru it...

Congrats and have a great time. There's some good roads down that way.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I hope you have a lot of money, because you're going to get a lot of different suggestions.

Helmets are always good to have on! ;)

If you do your own maintenance, then I would strongly recommend a Honda service manual, plus Fred's maintenance videos.

Congratulations on the new machine and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can't recommend this site enough when it comes to riding tips and safety for you and your wife. http://www.msgroup.org/articles.aspx

I've read every last article, several of them twice. There's more topics and tips that would have taken me years to think of. Some of these tips just might save your life. Definitely more topics covered than the MSF class.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Belly pan $60 or so can save several hundred
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1347&str=4

The little grips just don't work for me so I always put the Kuryakyn ISO grips http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6876&str=4

Some type of backrest, Utopia gets many raves,,,,but ride the seat for a while as you may want to look at a custom seat and many of those have their own backrest
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=948&str=4

My wife loves the Kuryakyn floorboards with the "pop-up"
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=974&str=4

I have the floorboards from Kuryakyn, but also like the ISO wings

I also agree with others about the Butler. Also look at some type for the Mrs. I got tired of passing mine back to her and it also made for more frequent stops on hot days.

www.glassact.com

The best thing you could do is take a couple hours and visit http://www.directlineparts.com/store.asp?str=4&ID=268738814. It would be well worth your time to find some things you "think" you might want or need.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My list Keeps growing

Got my 08 last spring, since then I've bought the service manual, the bags that are shaped to fit in the trunk and side bags, color matched helmets, headsets, luggage rack, rain suits, wind deflector for under the mirror, new jacket and new gloves. I love em all.

The safety course is a great idea - I took one a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how much I forgot or never knew.

·
Registered
661 Posts
One thing I wouldn't leave home without is a can of Plexus (windshield cleaner) and a couple of micro soft cleaning towels. In my left fairing pocket and in the trunk. Darn bugs!! The Plexus is kinda expensive but won't harm your shield. (works great on glasses too)

Something else I have every ride, is a pair of balistic rated sunglases. (shooters glasses) Worn with the helmet, I also keep a matching pair in the right rear pocket, that are clear ( for night riding)

Wishing you Many Many happy hours riding a Great Motorcycle. ....Don

·
Registered
221 Posts
View attachment 1202

Spend the money and buy quality safety equipment. Helmets, Gloves, Riding Jackets etc first. The bike is absolutely awesome just as is. After riding it for a short time you will know what "Shiney" stuff and "Comfort" items you will want to get.:p

Then your wallet will develop a severe leak:22yikes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Good quality Safety gear top to bottom. Try different brands and get what feels good to you then use it every time you ride.
Highway pegs are a must.
Have fun & be safe!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Attend a get together and you will see lots of options and "personalizations".
Yes, attend a gathering and here's the perfect one for ya:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200896

Loren & Laura's get together in Rogers, AR in April '09. I think it's about a 4 1/2 or 5 hour ride from you. It's a lot of fun and there's some fantastic riding in that area.

Glad to see you're taking a rider safety course, one of the best things you can do. As far as accessories for the bike, my favorite is my lighted trunk spoiler and good bright fog lights on the front. Make yourself more visible. Also, spend the money and get good riding gear (helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, etc.).

BTW, welcome to the board!

Karen

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello everyone. I've only been reading all of the posts for several days, just trying to learn as much as I can from all of you that have been riding for a while. Anyway, I havent been on a bike in many years and now that my wife and I have hit the Mid 40's we have decided that it's time to buy us a New GoldWing and start having some fun, now that the kids are all out of the house.
My question is this. The bike I've chose is the 2008 Premium Audio, Caliente Red. What are some of the accessories that are a must have for the bike when I pick it up on Feb. 15th, and are there any other things that I need to buy for carrying with me on the bike. Cleaning items, gloves, just whatever.
I really want to be prepared and have everything that I need. I've even signed up for a Motorcycle Safety Course that I'm taking over the coming weekend, just to hone the skills a little before getting back out there.
Thanks for all your help,

David Smith
ValleyRider
Pauls Valley, OK
:doorag:
Congrats on the new ride! I've been riding for 40+ years, but just bought my first Wing last week (right before the big snow storm hit
). For safety sake, my wife and I are ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). If you plan to do the same, my advice is to look for quality gear up front. If you try to cut corners with the cheap stuff, you'll be buying more in the near future. Ask me how I know this. :roll:

You can find a lot of good info by searching this board. If interested, I can talk about gear I have, and gear I have gone through.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You have time before you pick your bike up to get your helmets fitted with a mic.and speaker system so you can talk to your wife and listen to your favorite music on an mp3. I also like the mic. mute system,and an xm radio.;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts