GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Well I switched from the HD's to a Wing. Purchased an 06 ABS model with 800 miles on it from a very nice fellow in Houston. I'll post a pic soon, but for now it's Dark Red so you all know what that one looks like.

No helmet with the purchase so I went out and got a Tour Com with the built in J&M headset. Now I'm riding it back home and put 450 miles on it the first day.! What a touring bike. It's everything everyone said it was.

However, the J&N headset for music at 70 MPH is totally useless. This thing sound like a 10 cents transistor radio- actually I think a 10c radio sounds better!!

With all the wind noise, road noise, how does anyone report that these things function for listening to music (as I read in other threads)??

Perhaps something is wrong with my headset? But I tend to think not as when I stiopped they sound -at best- passable.

Can you shead a little light on this for me. Since I did not know what to expect, I was pretty open but if there was a way to ship this back to J&M for a refund I WOULD!

New happy wing owner, unhappy headset owner -- and thanks.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm not familiar with that helmet or the headset it uses, but I have owned many J&M headsets, among other brands. It may be as simple as adding some filler material between the helmet and the speakers. The speakers need to be close to your ears to sound right.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Additionaly, J&M builds about 4 grades of ear phones, ranging from tinny to pretty good. Which model is in your hat? Also, how do you expect a headset to stop wind and road noise? To do that, you need to put them into earmuffs, which would make it really hard to put your helmet over...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I put some J&M headsets in my Arai helmet. I put a piece of latex foam behind the speakes. It is very flexible. I can push back the speakers while putting on my helmet then the foam expands and the soft outer edge of the speaker presses over my ears and the sound is excellent. I can be travelling at 80 mph and my speakers are turned up to 8. If the speaker does'nt snug up enough you can just stick you finger between the edge of the helmet and your head and push the speaker up against your skin.

Latex foam is very soft and pliable so it doesn't press real hard against your head. I think I used 1/2 inch thick foam that I got from a mattress factory for free that I placed between the helmet shell and the speaker. It was a scrap.

Give it a try, You'll like it.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
CaptainChet said:
This thing sound like a 10 cents transistor radio
Its all in the placement of the headset speakers, and it is a customization based on the position of your ears. Please take some time to move the speakers so that they are directly over your ears.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
CaptainChet said:
However, the J&N headset for music at 70 MPH is totally useless. This thing sound like a 10 cents transistor radio- actually I think a 10c radio sounds better!!

With all the wind noise, road noise, how does anyone report that these things function for listening to music (as I read in other threads)??
Hi Captain and welcome to the world of Wings!

Wind noise is a function of your helmet design and fit. Any protrusions, etc. will add to it. A quality helmet (like Shuberth) that fits perfectly will reduce the wind noise to ALMOST nothing. A poor quality helmet that fits poorly will greatly amplify the wind noise. Most of us are somewhere in between.

A number of us wear earplugs while riding. 23db and above make all the difference in the world! I currently use 33db plugs from Walmart and whether I'm wearing my Nolan N100E or my HJC Sy-Max, it's like riding in a luxury car as far as noise goes. I DO have to crank the stereo way up there though to make up for it.

As for the headsets, the suggestions have all been covered. Each speaker must be centered on your ear canal, otherwise the volume drops way down. The speaker must be almost touching your ear, or you lose the bass response and it'll sound tinny. If you have a set of regular headphones and a stereo in your house, put them on and then pull the speakers away from your ears and move them around to see what I'm talking about.

That's the problem with helmets with built-in headsets from the factory... folks buy them, put them on and usually find pretty low quality sound. That's because few of us have our ears in the positions where the factory puts the speakers. You're going to have to experiment with padding, etc. to move the speakers to the right place.

BTW, I've had a number of J&M headsets. I always buy their top of the line and once positioned right, they sound great. So do the one set of EdSets I have.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I have the top of the line J&M headset and music sounds like crap. I had the middle of the road set and music sounded like crap. With the top of the line set I did notice a bit of improvement with the CB though.

I always run my music through the speakers. The 2006 premium sound kicks butt. And I can hear it just fine at 80 MPH. I don't even bother with the headset speakers for music.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
William Anzik said:
I have the top of the line J&M headset and music sounds like crap. I had the middle of the road set and music sounded like crap. With the top of the line set I did notice a bit of improvement with the CB though.

I always run my music through the speakers. The 2006 premium sound kicks butt. And I can hear it just fine at 80 MPH. I don't even bother with the headset speakers for music.
Thanks William, I tend to agree with you!

To the others, thank for the suggestions on earphone placement. I have what can be a good 'seal' but still sounds like crap!

On my previous bikes I wore my custom made earmolds (Westone UM3 with custom molds) with my MP3 player and it worked fine. It does on this bike as well. If I'm not using these, I have a pair of custom made earplugs... about 23db reduction. Makes riding wonderful.

To the poster that asked about the rear speakers, well it's a brand new 06 with the 80 watt system and yes it does have rear speakers. I agree that better speakers are in order!! I'll look into that soon enough.

To the poster that asked if I have the mute on. Well.........no!

Again thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The reason that I asked if the mute was on was ... well ... :oops:
someone that I know had that happen to him. Uh, yeah, that's right. It happened to a friend of mine. When he turned to mute off it really blasted my... I mean HIS ears. :oops:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
richard h said:
You wouldn't happen to have your headset mute on, would you?
What he said, it makes a night and day difference. Oh and by the way, why would anyone sell an awesome Wing after riding it only 800 miles??
:?: :?: :?:

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
William Anzik said:

He's right, you can hear it very well through the speakers with a helmet on at cruisin speed. And yeah it does kick butt. T.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
CaptainChet said:
Thanks William, I tend to agree with you!

To the others, thank for the suggestions on earphone placement. I have what can be a good 'seal' but still sounds like crap!

On my previous bikes I wore my custom made earmolds (Westone UM3 with custom molds) with my MP3 player and it worked fine. It does on this bike as well. If I'm not using these, I have a pair of custom made earplugs... about 23db reduction. Makes riding wonderful.

Again thanks for all the replies!
Chet,
Speaker placement is everything in good sound. When I bought my HD Ultra and two sets of headsets I raised hell with the dealer about the poor/cheap speakers; then I found it was the helmet/speaker placement. :oops:

Your custom earmolds will solve your prob. Check out Ed Sets for an adapter that will allow you to use them with your helmet headset.
http://edsets.com/product_details.php?c ... tem_id=161

While the wires look awkward, the sound is great. EdSets also has a headset with the jack for your earmolds/earbuds, but it is quite expensive.

Good Luck! :wink:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Stereo

Yeah, I was kind of wondering how Kandgo missed the fact that it was an 06, it comes with 6 speakers including 2 in the rear. Understand that Captain Chet still is thinking of "improving" the speakers on his new Wing. To each his own, but he may want to make sure that his new sound system is tweaked just right, because mine "ROCKS" as Red so well put it (of course since I don't use helmet speakers I get full unadulterated sound). Or maybe that is why it sold with only 800 or so miles on it, the previous owner may have blown them out.
Captain Chet, enjoy your new Wing, and hope that you get the ear speakers worked out in the helmet.
Dennis
8 days to go.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Seems to me and I've said it before you can't have a "Carnegie" concert sound in a "Beer Bar" environment as thats what listening conditions are like on the Wing If you can figure out how to do let me know. Coming from Harley's I'm glad just to have the news, weather, intercom, and some halfway decent music to help wile away the miles.

·
Premium Member
19,868 Posts
Check the mute first, you may have the cheapo JM, they have about 4 different ones. Sometimes the earspeaker can be upgraded by plugging in a premium set like the plug in top of the line HSCP-SS22. Which will cost youy $84 a pair for the speakers only. My mid grade model unfornuately is not the plug and play and to upgrade I need a whole entire set with wiring and mic. Call J & M they will help. 520-624-7000

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you have the KBC Tourcom helmet it inly comes with the J&M Standard speakers, I know as I just bought one for myself and all I use it for is communication between my bike and my wifes bike.
I purchased a N-42 for my wife with the J&M ELITE series speakers and it sounds like you are at a concert with excellent sound quality as my wife likes to listen to her tunes while riding.
Call John at J&M and he will be glad to talk to you.
They make an excellent product and stand by it.

Take Care and ride safe

Steve Scott

·
Registered
657 Posts
For Stick405

I'm not sure how you ran yours, but even on my 03 Illusion Blue I had great sound, the new 06 sounds even better and I get pretty much concert hall sound even with the wind at 70-80 miles an hour. Having the rear speakers (which was what I had on the 03 as well) helps out tremendously and you just have to adjust the different settings till you get it right and I've got that down to a science.
Dennis
8 more days

·
Registered
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
4,316 Posts
As others have said... check which model J&M speakers you have. The Tour-Com helmets don't usually come with the J&M premium speakers.

However... again as others have said... no matter which speakers you get, you're not going to get 'at-home theater' quality sound out of such small items, especially when you're wearing an open-face helmet. I've tried moving the speakers around in the cavity, tried placing foam behind them, etc... and to me, it just doesn't matter.

I wouldn't classify the sound as "bad" though... just not great.

I usually wear an Arai open-face lid with the J&M Premium set-up (don't remember the series number)... but I also have a full-face Shoei that I've installed the J&M premium set-up in too.

There's a WORLD of difference in the sound between the 2 lids, simply because of wind noise.

Obviously, the Shoei sounds better... but I really dislike wearing a full-face lid except during the cold winter months.

The best sound I've gotten out of the audio system is with my custom-made ear plugs, like the kind I wear at work. Used with the mini-plug adapter that Lewis sells... it's by far the best sounding option there is, with one exception: when wearing them... you hear NOTHING else.

No road sounds... no engine noise... nothing.

Since they are custom moulded to your ear, the fit is perfect & allows practically no other sound in while on the road.

They're expensive... but you can also use them with your iPod, or any other device that accepts a mini-plug.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great stuff. I'll bet that the speakers that came with the Tour Com are not J&M best! That's probably a big part of the problem. Thanks for pointing that out as I thought (incorrectly) these were the top of the line.

I'm home and did another 400 miles today. I used my earmouds connected directly to the Ipod. Yes, just as the full custom ones shown above, you hear basically nothing but the music and it does sound great.

I also tried using the speakers. Not all bad at 70. Great slower!! Wonder just how much improvement there would be by upgrading speakers....some I'm sure but probably not worth the price. Rather get a pair of full custom earmoulds by Westone, Sensi or Ultimate Ears.

About why would someone sell this Wing with only 800 miles. That's a great question!! I think the fellow just didn't ride it much and enjoyed his very tricked out Harley Fat Boy. I will need to post a few photos.

I doubled the mileage on this baby in two days. What a great ride!!!

(now to work on some other mods, such as risers etc)

Again, thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts