GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an old school Valk guy, who decided to buy a 2006 Wing with Comfort/Audio/Nav. The guy who owned it before, also added external XM. My existing helmets have J&M wired setups I bought back in 2002.

Here is what I want to know- And forgive me for asking again, but in my research, I just haven't seen an answer that is clear to me as to what I need to do.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish-

Rider/Passenger intercom
Access to the Wing Audio
Access to the XM (which is connected through AUX)
Access to my Note10 Plus (no 3.5mm plug, but I can buy an adapter.

I want to use Waze and play music from my phone and have it either go to Wing speakers or helmet headsets.

Bluetooth connection for helmets is preferred, but I am OK to go wired for phone if I have to.

I am curious how you guys have handled this-

Ensign Pulver...
99 Valk Standard
2001 Valk Interstate
2006 Wing

·
Registered
76 Posts
For all the above usage, you only need an additional 3.5mm jack installed through the left console box for your phone to be connected to the Goldwing via Aux input. You can use back your J&M headsets too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Okay...so, there's two questions not yet answered....

Rider, or rider & passenger?

Do you want to talk on your phone?

(Hint: if that answer is 'yes', it gets real expensive!)

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Here is what I am trying to accomplish-

Rider/Passenger intercom
Access to the Wing Audio
Access to the XM (which is connected through AUX)
Access to my Note10 Plus (no 3.5mm plug, but I can buy an adapter.

I want to use Waze and play music from my phone and have it either go to Wing speakers or helmet headsets.

Bluetooth connection for helmets is preferred, but I am OK to go wired for phone if I have to.
g
Some years ago I purchased a 2007 (new) ST1300. I had a used BMW R1100 RT at the time and was using an Autocom system. When I purchased the ST and after watching and reading the ST Forum, I immediately installed the Autocom communications system. (Link at end if you are interested). It worked excellently. Allowed me to have rider to passenger intercom, connect my GPS audio (both earphones and mic for calls), connect my radar detector and a J&M CB Radio.

When I purchased my 2015 Wing I knew the Wing's audio intercom stuff was not great so I installed a new Autocom Super Pro Automatic, since I knew it worked and worked well.

It allowed me to use my original headsets. It also allowed me to interface the Wing's audio to the Autocom and allowed me to connect the GPS and radar detector.

It works by using the Wing's "Passenger" connection as a connection to the Autocom device (Stereo) which means All the audio that is on the Wing comes through the Autocom and allows me to use the Wing's CB as well since the Autocom system works both ways by the way the interface is arranged.

What I do not know that it can do is to allow you to use your phone the way you want it to (i.e. stero and mic.)

The Autocom system has five inputs you can use in various ways. Each with its own volume control for input. The rider and the passenger have separate controls for audio level to speaker or earphones (but you cannot adjust them on the road they are fixed but more on that later). I use my external GPS and at the Wing's audio level control to change input to the system if needed.

The system comes with an ambient noise sensor that senses the surround noise level (at the helmet) and adjust both the volume and the amount of noise that is needed to activate the mic.

Autocom has a bluetooth interface that says it will allow you to interface your phone, via bluetooth, to the autocom system. I have this device and have used it on the BWM but have not used it since then. Once synched, it always seemed to synch when the Autocom system was fired up but I don't remember if I used it for phone calls or the phone at all.

In your case, you could just interface the XM to the Autocom and that means you would not have to use the left pocket aux connector for that purposed.

As I said they do have a bluetooth version as well but I have not seen any reviews on it.

Mine is mounted under the Wing's seat which is why you cannot easily adjust the setting (well you have to pull the seat bolts and remove the seat).

Now for the other part of the story. Autocom is a British product and founded in 1989. The last dealer in the US that I dealt with was Rocket Moto out of Connecticut. I do not think he is in business any longer. So, if you wanted to use the Autocom system you would have to buy from overseas.

I have considered going to a Bluetooth system but I probably will not. Only one reason to go to a Bluetooth system (at least for me) is no wires. I don't mind the wires. We stopped using in the helmet speakers eight or nine years ago and went with earphones which interface to the Autocom system (Autocom makes a helmet connector just fo for that purpose).

https://www.autocom-shop.co.uk/product/spa-system-for-rider-pillion/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
End of the Story

I ended up buying new helmets from J&M with 801 headsets- and was about to purchase some other connections, when we decided to give the 2006 back to the dealer and we took delivery of a brand spanking new 2019 Wing Tour- So we ended up going with CARDO units on different helmets and since we were outside of the 7 day return window for the J&M helmets, I am selling them in the classifieds....Oh well...

Thanks for the help though...

Ensign

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
If you want to talk on your phone, go bluetooth.

If not, then you can get by with wired and you're well on your way to loading up your Aux circuit. XM. The Note thing. Your phone. Etc. You may want to look at this so you can pull in a few sources. In particular, if you think you're going to listen to XM while Waze on your smartphone gives you directions, you're going to need something to overlay the signals from multiple sources. Or inject Bluetooth.

As long as you don't want to talk on the CB, another solution is to get bike audio from a Sena SM10 (about $100?) to a BT headset (look at Sena 20S Evo, 30k, or Cardo, depending on what any group you run with uses). And pair your phone to the headset. You can decide what you want to pump out via Aux and the BT headset will multi-task the phone/nav.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yet again, I am a day late (well, 25 min) and a dollar short, and didn't realize it until the next day. ;)

Enjoy that new wing and don't let the Bluetooth nonsense get in the way! Happy riding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts