GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa came early, got an '07 Dark Orange Metalic w/bag. Been following the board for a few months, Orange must be the best color, have not a complaint about this bike (and yes, it's the fastest color)!! Just put in my first order with HAL, looking forward to putting on some EC lights this weekend.

Guess I just graduated from Harley, have (still have) a V-Rod (best Harley ever made). Amazing how an 800+ pound bike can feel as strong!

I do have one question, coming up on a few thousand miles and thought I'd give the Wing an oil change, which is better, dino or synthetic? I think I've broken it in, sure tried hard, and it hasn't used any noticable amount of oil.

Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats on the bike! 8)

I have an 06' "w/ bag" as well - dig the phrase!

Take care,
Brian G

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Welcome and Happy New Year

YIKES!! Dangerous question, as many opinions on oil as there are members. I like syn over Dino, but use what makes you feel good. I have never heard of an oil related engine failure. Tom from Aztec has over 200k on his '01, uses Shell Rotella syn and changes every 12k or so. I use the same, but change every 5k because it is easy to remember and makes me feel good. Bike probably dosen't care as much as I do. LOL.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hope you did some research on the EC lights, as there's a slight problem with the switches for the lights with the bagger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rickster said:
Welcome and Happy New Year

YIKES!! Dangerous question, as many opinions on oil as there are members. I like syn over Dino, but use what makes you feel good. I have never heard of an oil related engine failure. Tom from Aztec has over 200k on his '01, uses Shell Rotella syn and changes every 12k or so. I use the same, but change every 5k because it is easy to remember and makes me feel good. Bike probably dosen't care as much as I do. LOL.
Yea, thought I might be on thin ice. My prior experience with the V-Rod prompted the question. V-Rod took for ever to 'break in', it used syn from day one. Syn always seems to make the cars run quieter so I believe? it must be giving some benefits. Short story, I want the Wing to run a long, long time, curious if any others have had issues with syn and the Wing. From your response, sounds like all will be fine.

Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mr.b said:
Hope you did some research on the EC lights, as there's a slight problem with the switches for the lights with the bagger.
Now you tell me :!: I did check EC's sight, purposely got the "super bright" as they are supposed to work, the Platinum version isn't recommended for the airbag. I guess I'll find out this weekend, hopefully not any rewiring in my future, otherwise you may have an opportunity to bid on a slightly toasted '07.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Go with synthetic asap. AMSOIL is best. I've got 34,000 quiet, smooth shifting, no oil use, miles and my 04. If I was close by you could see me smiling.
Give Bulldog a shout and you'll have your oil in the next day or two. He can also get you the oil filters, rear end lube, crush washers, and the oil filter wrench you'll need. (You don't want to remove the front lower cowl to change your oil.)
Congratulations and welcome.
Lots of miles with smiles in front of you.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
254 Posts
SWEEEEEETTTTT... you're gonna love the bike and all these new friends on the board!!! Great choice and WOW, santa did a good job at your house!

Have fun and keep us posted on all the new trips! :D :D :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
I changed my oil at 500 and am getting ready for my 4000. I used the Honda 50/50 syn/dyno. Have been really pleased.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Welcome!

Congrats! Two of the best bikes in the world: the Wing and the German wonder!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Prevailing wisdom seems to be to use dino oil during the break-in period, then switch to synthetic at the first scheduled oil change. Same for the rear end gear oil. 42,000 Honda miles on my '04 and so far so good.

David M.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i have 90,000 on dino change it at 3-4000 miles uses none drains out looking good enough to use, no shift problems,i dont see the need for a syn oil.xx

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Amsoil from Bulldog (best prices) and follow the manual recomendations (every 8k oil and filter)
The V-Rod will still spank the Wing, but you're right, the Wing is a great performer for a 900# machine!!
Enjoy and ride safe!

·
Registered
439 Posts
welcome to the board first thing pull your covers look for missing rubber or installed wrong you can tell because they will fall on the ground when you take off side covers :lol: . Look over the battery make sure every thing is clean and tight . Check coolant level if you have not, it's low from the dealer from what I here, mine was . And if you don't know you can usually get a good deal on the exetened warnety from Hal
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =477175740
good luck and hope this helps in some way .

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Welcome to the herd. You picked a great first accessory (if I say so myself).

Now, you asked an oil question? Whew! :duck:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the advice. Ordered the oil. I can see this board is going to cost me money :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts