GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my first wing(04 white) and am slowly adding goodies. i put some kuryakyn floorboards so i can strech out my long legs. the instructions said to mount them on the horizontal engine guards but when i did that they would scrape in a moderate curve. i ended up mounting them on the vertical bar. they are working fine but was wondering if there is any (unknown to me) problem with this type mounting.
also i wish i could replace the amber turn signal lense on the mirrors to clear ones and then use a yellow bulb. anything like that out there?
i'm trying to get the bike ready for this summer and have sooooo many things i want to add on like backrest, intercom headsets, luggage rack to name a few.
can't wait to ride the dragon again. this time on a wing instead of a roadstar.
any help would be appreciated. thanks, bo

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
bleaves1 said:
... i put some kuryakyn floorboards so i can strech out my long legs. the instructions said to mount them on the horizontal engine guards but when i did that they would scrape in a moderate curve. i ended up mounting them on the vertical bar. they are working fine but was wondering if there is any (unknown to me) problem with this type mounting.
The only problem we know about is mounting them on the horizontal bar. As you found, they can be very dangerous when mounted there. You done good by moving them to the vertical bar! :s27:

I haven't heard of anyone supplying clear 'parking light/turn signal' lenses. I think that would be a very popular item.

:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Give me one week and I will give you the first pictures of my clear lenses. If it turns out to be good I will be able to suply all interested. I have found the right amber color to paint the bulb. (Haven´t found any amber bulbs on the market). Also the right sealingmaterial that goes around outside the lense. I´m just a wing rider like you and could not sit and wait anymore. The lense is made in Sweden. It´s a copy made from my front turning lenses. The production is almost handmade. (One at the time.)
For the future:
I have been glancing at the rear leanses as well. It´s going to be a Dremel job cutting of the amber part and replace with probobly a light smoke colored one. If using a clear lense, there will be a chrome-look in the outer ends I think. I don´t know how hard it is to separate the rearlense from the backend but I will give it a try when I find time for it.

G

·
0 Posts
I've had mine in both locations, and as you say the will scrape in the horizontal position. I move them to the vertical and ran Deal's Gap without a spark. If your legs are long enough GO FOR IT!!! 8) :wink:

·
Registered
939 Posts
I recommend you invest in a Tulsa Belly Pan. Some say it helps with getting blown around by crosswinds and semi trucks. I don't know about that but I do know that it will help keep a rock or some other object from making a hole in your coolant reservior or oil filter. I ordered one for my 1800 before I even picked up the bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kuryakyn boards

You didn't say what type of mount you used. I just put a set of boards that use the new Ergo II mounts that attatch to the horizontal bar. So far I have not had them to scrub.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts