GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new guy here; new to the forum and new to Goldwings, but not new to riding... I have been on two wheels of some sort for more than 40 years... Love sportbikes and road racing, had my share of cruisers and Harley's, but so far I absolutely love my GL...

i found this this place looking for a cure to the harsh feel of the front suspension and found a fix that only cost a nickel... Worked like a charm and was about as easy a mod as you will ever do...

Anyway, I look forward to finding more cool tricks for my new ride and sharing what I can with the forum...:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

Welcome to the madhouse. I'm guessing you used the nickel to cure the sticky anti-dive valve. When the time comes for further upgrades, there are several.......monotubes, traxion, race-tec, etc. Stock front springs are too soft and are junk by 10K. Rear shock is much improved on the 13, 14 models. Just buy lots of gas and ride safe.

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
Howdy and welcome from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado!!

There's nothing else in the world like twisting the throttle on a flat 6 1800.

You spent a NICKEL for a mod??

You've got some harsh reality coming your way brother...

First there's the gas mod, the tank keeps emptying. Then there's tires, and farkels, and an MP3 emulator, highway pegs and wind wings.....

If you've already ridden, then you already know. But this is a GW so X 10 for everything.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Welcome.....I am with yuh!!! picking my first up this july......welcome to the madness......jer

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Hello all, new guy here; new to the forum and new to Goldwings, but not new to riding... I have been on two wheels of some sort for more than 40 years... Love sportbikes and road racing, had my share of cruisers and Harley's, but so far I absolutely love my GL...

i found this this place looking for a cure to the harsh feel of the front suspension and found a fix that only cost a nickel... Worked like a charm and was about as easy a mod as you will ever do...

Anyway, I look forward to finding more cool tricks for my new ride and sharing what I can with the forum...:thumbup:
Welcome, Chaz. It sounds line you are talking about disabling the anti-dive. Lots of folks do. They also usually end up putting in firmer front springs.

Since you are an experienced rider, let me share a hint you may not know. Wings have linked brakes. If you use mostly or only the front brakes, you will be loosing 2/3 of your braking power. If you haven't already, try using more rear brake. All that extra weight in back allows way more rear braking than any sportbike. The linked braking system means the rear brake pedal works way better than the standard brakes on a Harley or most other cruisers.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
WELCOME to the NUT house, and :congrats: on the bike.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard from WI :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the welcomes!

PODO, the harsh reality is that the mod WAS the nickle:thumbup:

CruiseControl, the linked braking is going to take some getting used to after so many years of grabbing a handful of front brake to slow down a screaming sportbike...

Here's my former weekend ride:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Welcome.

One caution....using the nickel to disable ADV is a great mod but unless you are a very light person, you'll likely need to put in stiffer springs.

The stock springs on the wing are really weak, something like .7 kg or worse. Most need to upgrade to a 1.0 or stiffer if they disable ADV. (I run a 1.2 kg spring). Honda put the ADV in so it could have really weak springs but not bottom out. If you disble the ADV but leave the stock springs, you have a high probability of bottoming out which you probably already know from your sportbike experience is a very bad thing if it happens in a corner.

Do the zip tie on the fork leg trick to see how much travel you are using. Build to 40 MPH and stop quickly and see if you use all your fork travel. If you do, I'd really recommend stiffer springs. They won't make it harsh. They will actually make it smoother as it won't be super soft and then super hard as it bottoms out.

You can get springs for something like $140. A bit more than a nickel, but still pretty cheap and it really helps a lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the advice Nut... I have to say though that I did a little research while I had the anti dive valve bolts out... I put the valve back in place and as expected the plunger made contact before the mating surface... That being said I then knew how much preload was on the pin... I then went through my spare hardware and found the perfect washer to only take up that space...

Logic tells me that removing the preload will not completely disable the valve, only reduce the throw by what looked to be about .032" to .040"... I will take her out and flog her a bit with the zip-on and see what happens... I sure do miss the adjustability of the suspension like I had on the track bikes, of course my forks had all the Race Tech valves and springs as well...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts