GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My name is Dan and I live in the south 'burbs of Chicago. I recently transitioned from a BMW RT to a '06 Wing and so far so good. The change in size and weight is something I'm still getting use to, but I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with it as time goes on. One question that I do have involves the throttle. I have some "throttle slop". I can roll on the throttle about 10 degrees before the engine starts to speed up. Is there any way I can adjust out that "dead band" or is this something I need to have the dealer address?

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You can get most of it out at the throttle withthat adjuster nut. Don't get it too tight or it will rev up when you turn the bars. It's not all going to come out I'm sure you know.

Hope you got a black one.......those are the best ones!! 8)

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
Welcome....

Adjust cable slack out at grip. Only need a very little slack. You might need to adjust it a few times during the first few thousand miles.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
If you were close I could fix it in about 20 seconds. Underneath the throttle there is a jam nut tightened against a long nut, these are both on the throttle cable. Loosen the jam nut and screw out the long nut until it is where you want it , as slack or as tight as you want it. Beware though if you are use to the slack in the throttle and you tighten it all the way the throttle response takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hi Dan and welcome from another newbie,

Mine is set up the same way and I think it's on purpose.

Somebody with more experience will probably correct me but here's my theory:

I think it's related to the cruise control. If you have your hands on the grips (and you should), you will notice that the throttle rolls on and off slightly as it attempts to keep the set speed. This is more noticible when two up. I believe the "Dead Spot" at the beginning is to allow one to hold the throttle without feeling it try to roll under your hand.

In other words, if you keep the throttle in that first 10 degrees, you will not feel the CC corrections. It also makes it a short wrist snap to cancel the CC if needed.

Think of it as a "feature" not a "bug" :D :D

Stay safe (and warm),

Lance

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Dan,
You shouild be able to adjust the throttle cables to remove the excess play. Of course having the dealer do it is also an option.
The free play can be adjusted via the adjustment nut on the upper throttle cable. It is covered in the service manual. If you send me an email, I'll send you the pages from the manual.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Welcome Dan,

Their are several nice people from the Chicago area here on this board, I'm sure you would like to meet them!. Please post the color of your Wing and your thoughts on Chrome. The Vultures are circling :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hello Dan and welcome. I am also new to the GW as of about six weeks. I bought an 05 used with the throttle having too much play. I eventually stopped by the dealership with the bike one day and asked the service mgr if he would help me. The SM was kind enough to get a couple wrenches and show me how to do the adjustment.

Now that he has taught me how to fish, I can eat for a lifetime (and adjust the throttle myself). :D I have since purchased a Service Manual from one of the forum members. There are a lot of very generous and helpful members here. Good luck and ride safely always.

Todd

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies! It's comforting to know help is just a few key strokes away. I'm not much into chrome. The less there is, the less time I have to spend polishing and more time I can spend riding. My previous bike had only a chrome muffler and that was just the right amount.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts