GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the wheel off the front for a tire replacement before a trip to Maine.

Took the rotor off and DID NOT put it back on in the same position (most likely). Now I have a low speed wobble with a new Bridgestone on. Everything is torqued to spec. I checked it all the second day of the trip.

Could I have a wobble because of the different position of the rotor? In the videos, Fred H says that I might have brake pulsation, but none of that.

I did add air to bring it up to 41psi from 37psi and the wobble seemed to decrease.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Shouldn't have to ask but I will; was the tire balanced?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Brake rotor position should not make any different assuming the entire assembly was balanced after installed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hey have a look where the side wall of the tire meets the rim .There is a small line that runs around the tire,that line should be visable all the way around on both sides and should be roughly the same distance from the rim all the way around.This shows the tire is seated correctly. this might be your problem. Also lift the wheel off the ground and give it a spin. watch for the tread to move up and down or more likely side to side. I have seen new tires that were bad.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey have a look where the side wall of the tire meets the rim .There is a small line that runs around the tire,that line should be visable all the way around on both sides and should be roughly the same distance from the rim all the way around.This shows the tire is seated correctly. this might be your problem. Also lift the wheel off the ground and give it a spin. watch for the tread to move up and down or more likely side to side. I have seen new tires that were bad.
:agree: I had a similar problem and discovered the tire bead was not 100% seated on the rim lip... it was so minor that a quick glance all around, both sides did not show... the line referenced above is the best way... even a very small difference in distance from the rim will give you a 'wobble' or a 'thump'.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Most 1800's wobble. Welcome to the club.

I didn't have any wobble with the orginal D205, replaced it with an E3 and had a wobble. Ran the E3 9K and replaced it with a Bridgestone and the wobble went away.

·
Registered
17,032 Posts
On my bike, it matters not if I balance the wheels with or without the rotors mounted, they are in balance when fully assembled any way. That is, the rotors are "in balance". Also, no difference is mounted out of original orientation.

When mounting tires, it helps to have a large volume of compressed air to rapidly blast the tire onto the seats. Good lube, big volume of air, and not too much pressure as to damage the tire. Two LOUD bangs, or start over.

prs

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bridgestone are not immune from irregularity. I put a new front on and the front shook really bad. Remounted and balanced again and same problem. Ran indicators over it and it had a .030, 3" long depression on one side of the center line like the belt inlays were missing or out of position. Bought another tire and problem solved.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts

Took the rotor off and DID NOT put it back on in the same position (most likely). Now I have a low speed wobble with a new Bridgestone on. Everything is torqued to spec. I checked it all the second day of the trip.

Could I have a wobble because of the different position of the rotor? In the videos, Fred H says that I might have brake pulsation, but none of that.

I did add air to bring it up to 41psi from 37psi and the wobble seemed to decrease.

Whaddya think?
As others have said.Rotor position doesn't matter here.

Think about it.You didn't have a wobble with a wornout tire,and now you do with a new one.What would be the cause?."Defective tire".

Sooner or later you'll draw a defective tire if you ride long enough.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
:agree::agree:

I've seen it happen.. old tire, no wobble... new tire.. wobble.
Swapped a wheel from a known non-wobbler, no wobble. Conclusion... tire.
Replaced tire, wobble gone.

So if it is properly seated. it's the tire.

=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies.

Yep, balanced.

Rainy day here today... I'll check to make sure it's seated properly.

Bought from DLP. Will they swap me tires? Never mind, I guess I'll call em and find out.

·
Registered
361 Posts
wobble

Whaddya think?
there are about 2 percent of defective tires out there,but for 75 dollars you should just pay the pros to do the install at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I just noticed on my bike that the "wobble" gets worse when the air pressure is lower and the tires are cupped. When I keep the pressures up to 41 psi front and rear...no wobble:shrug: when the tires are new...no wobble, but as the tires get older and start to cup, back comes the wobble, and it is more noticable when I am slack on keeping my pressures at 41:oops:

Goldwings wobble but they don't fall down!!! wait thats a Weeble

·
Registered
878 Posts
I suppose if the tire checks out OK, then it might be possible that the rim got bent during tire change... Not likely, but possible..

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If the tire is fully mouted as in several posts above, get a 12 mm wrench or socket.

Go out and loosen the pinch bolts on both sides while on center stand. Tighten the ones on the starbord (right while on bike) to 16 ft/lb. Get on the bike, grab a handfull of front brake, rock the bike working the forks several times. Tighten the left side to 16 ft/lb and try it.

That is the proceedure out of the service manual, so I haven't really lost my mind. LOL

If it doesn't work it only cost you 4-5 minutes, but I have seen a lot of folks put the fronts back on and for better or worse, haven't seen that done but once.

Pressure could very well make a difference. I run 38 in the front and can tell when it drops below 37.5 ish.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there are about 2 percent of defective tires out there,but for 75 dollars you should just pay the pros to do the install at the dealership.
I did have pros put the tire on the rim. I don't have the equipment at home. Taking the front (or rear) wheel off is a no brainer, if you follow the service manual and Fred H.'s DVDs.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Most 1800's wobble. Welcome to the club.

I didn't have any wobble with the orginal D205, replaced it with an E3 and had a wobble. Ran the E3 9K and replaced it with a Bridgestone and the wobble went away.
True, but a brand new tire should not wobble. It should give you at least a couple of thousand miles before showing up again.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If the installer does not center the bead in the middle of the rim when prying over the last part it will stretch the bead and give you a wobble, ( the tire is shot), most wobbles or vibration on new tires is due too installer error.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
As I read this, it appears that you only replaced the Front Tire.

I would recheck the front axle and pinch bolts, as mentioned by Texas Realtor.

However, I would also closely check the rear tire. I started developing the dreaded wobble on a set of E-3s and found the rear was delaminating.
Although, it never felt like the wobble was coming from the rear.

Do you have B/stones on the bike front and rear ?? I have never mismatched brands on a bike. Always sceptical as to wheather different compounds, or different tread patterns would create an issue.

But I guess the CT crowd proves that theory wrong..

And yes, you could have just got a bad tire. But It would pay to look things over before swapping it again.

How did you like those Vermont Roads ?? Hope you ate some Lobster while in Maine.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Harry,

Vermont roads are horrendous and no way around em if you want to see the state.

Car tire on the rear.

I've checked the pinch bolts and axle too.

Wobble is slight and nothing close to other's issues that I've read about.

We'll just keep on keepin on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts