GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Sept we are spending a week in the finger lakes area. We will be coming from Massachusetts. I would like to avoid the NY thruway. Can anyone tell me how rt 20 is from Albany to Geneva? Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
In Sept we are spending a week in the finger lakes area. We will be coming from Massachusetts. I would like to avoid the NY thruway. Can anyone tell me how rt 20 is from Albany to Geneva? Thanks
I live in Rochester. Rt 20 is a nice ride but there are a lot of small towns so the speed limit will bounce 30 to 55 in most places.

I live in NY and avoid the Thruway at all costs, I hate that road. Depending on where you are in Mass, there might be better more scenic routes to go to get you to Geneva, I'd be more than happy to help you out, PM me if you're interested or let me know where your start point is and I can give some nice roads to get to where you are going.

Cheers.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am also near Rochester and have taken 20 many times. From Mass I would stay on 90 to get around Albany to 86 south and catch 20 off I-86. From there to Auburn its mostly 55 with small towns scattered along. There are many places to wick it up if you wish. Its also quite scenic and a viable alternative to 90. If you are staying close to Geneva then you might as well stay on 20. If you are staying closer to Watkins Glen on the southern tip of Seneca Lake then take one of the north south state roads when you get to ether Skaneateles or Auburn and go around the south end of the lakes. Auburn to Geneva is a bit slower and congested on 20.

There are probably good roads along the top of the Catskills if you want to avoid interstates altogether but others will have to chime in here.

Pete

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Check out Montezuma (west of Auburn on Rte 5) - M R Ducks, and other birds, too! :) Also, in the Geneva area, try Uncle Joe's for lunch and Emile's or Nonna's Trattoria for dinner.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! We are actually staying in Dundee. The intent is to avoid as much slab as we can so we will likely be crossing Massachusetts on Rt 2 then getting on the highway to try to go around Albany.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Rt 20 & Albany bypass

Hwy 2 ( Mohawk Trail) intersects NY 7 in Brunswick NY. You have to go thru Troy on NY 7 to cross the Hudson Stay on Ny 7 to intersect I- 890 in Schenectady ,takes you on to I-90 (thruway) @ext #25 go west to Ext 25A NO Toll and exit on to I-88 south to Rt 20. Be aware US 20 is heavily monitored by State and Local police for" revenue enhancement" particulary this time of year.You are probably good up to 10 over posted on open road. ( just did this run last wk on our way to VT & Me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I discovered SR 80 in June as an alternative to a major portion of 20. You can pick it up north of Cooperstown. It meanders south, west and north and runs back into 20 around Skaneatles. Traffic is sparse, the roads are good and scenic. It adds about an hour to thruway time, maybe 1/2 hour to 20 but the ride is well worth it. You can move along at highway speeds most of the way. There are only a few towns with 35-40 mph zones and virtually no traffic lights.
Safe travels...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with nywinger. I take that route with the change of staying on Rt 5 west after I 890. Also correction on above post. I think member meant I 87, not I 86.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts