GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We leave today for a 3 week tour of New Zealand. It's a tour sponsored by Free 2 Wheel mag thru a down under motorcycle tour company. The itinerary looks quite interesting. Will cover both islands. Not looking forward to the 14 hours in the cattle car or the time warp. It will be worth it. Starting to get excited about going.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That is AWESOME!
Have a great time and ride safe!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Right-side of the Road

Be sure you remember which side of road is yours, particularly when making turns at intersections and pay-attention on the one-way bridges. Otherwise, I've covered NZ from top to bottom - literally - and look forward to my next visit. The roads still go around the mountains, rather than through a slot or a hole, the air is remarkable, the vegetation spectacular, the food (produce anyway) fantastic and the people wonderful - you'll LOVE it! Take pictures and write a trip-report for the rest of us poor suckers.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spent 2 weeks there in 1980 in a cage. This trip is going to be much more fun. Won't be trying to get on the wrong side of the bike like we tried to get in the wrong side of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New Zealand

Ted I just got back from NZ four days ago. We were on the southern island. You will love it.
AL

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Awesome!!!

I am jealous. NZ is my favorite trip of all times even though we were in a cage. How much fun it would be on 2 wheels was dissussed several times. May go back and try it on 2 next time.

Have a great trip and let us know how it is going.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
is there a web site that tells of the tours like this one. since i cant ride i would enjoy to read about some.

loren

·
Registered
9 Posts
New Zealand trip

Ted,

Man, I am green with envy. The weather here in Va. has been miserable and I haven't been able to get either one of my bikes out of the garage (not that I would want to with ice covering the roads 50% of the time).

I just finished riding a loop of the Grand Canyon in January with my son on rented bikes. I never thought about New Zealand as a place to tour on a motorcycle. Sounds like a great place to tour on a bike, especially after reading the replies to your post.

I hope you post your trip report here.

What type of bike will you be riding in New Zealand?

regards,
Ben
02 1800A and 04FJR

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Hope you are having a wonderful time on your trip Ted. I have a friend who did this tour 2 yrs. ago and still talks about how great it was. Expect some tales when you return.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts