GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In order to use the XM radio feature do you have to purchase the GXM30 Antenna? It looks like you do but I am hoping that a regular XM antenna will work.

If the Zumo is connected to an Autocom system for audio with a wired headset, will a bluetooth phone interface with the Zumo and be heard through the headset?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
DubT said:
In order to use the XM radio feature do you have to purchase the GXM30 Antenna? It looks like you do but I am hoping that a regular XM antenna will work.

If the Zumo is connected to an Autocom system for audio with a wired headset, will a bluetooth phone interface with the Zumo and be heard through the headset?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne
Nope...you have to use the GXM30 antenna...made specific for the Zumo and I believe the 2730.

Wally
http://www.razorbiker.com/zumo

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Wally's correct on the antenna issue - the XM receiver is actually inside the antenna puck. The GPS just provides the user-interface features and provides an audio output path. I wish they would call it a receiver/antenna assembly instead of just an antenna - this question comes up very often.

If you connect the stereo music output of the Zumo to your stereo music input of the autocom, you'll be able to hear the XM/MP3 & phone audio output in your headset just fine.

What you won't be able to do is actually speak on the phone since there won't be a connection between your Autocom microphone output and the microphone input jack on the Zumo cradle. You'll need to figure out a way to get the microphone output to it. Most likely, you'll need to adapt a standard 2.5mm phone-style cable plugged into the Autocom's phone jack and extend just the microphone input to the Zumo's jack.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi guys,

First post, but have been using this site for six months. Jon, from reading the doc's I'm wondering if you couldn't use one of the bluetooth devices such as what Kennedy has to plug into the Autocomm since the manual suggest pairing with your "headset". Maybe there is a pairing "type" issue. I transferred my Autocom Active 7 over to GL1800 when I bought it. Costs more bucks on top of what would have already been spent but no risk of interference in the mike line. Have I missed something?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I believe that Jon is correct about the bluetooth connection. You have signal from the Zumo to the Autocom but not one going back the other way. Bluetooth connects the cell phone to the Zumo. I think you need a wire.

I set my cell phone to auto answer and it connects by wire to the Autocom Active Plus and works fine. Only problem is dialing out, I can't do it. I think you need a voice dialing phone to make it happen all the way.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I think he was thinking about pairing a BlueTooth Headset to the GPS (?) If you did use a BlueTooth headset, there will be no music audio output, just cellphone audio.

The easiest way to connect these two together would be to hard-wire a mic cable from the autocom phone jack to the Zumo mic input plug on the cradle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jon yes, that was what I was thinking. I think I see what you're saying that then I'd always have that input "live" and no other audio via other inputs would work. I always hate running longer cable runs because of the opportunity for noise to be injected even with filters.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I am hard wiring the Zumo to the Autocom and look forward to having volume and song selection control in front of me while playing mp3 files and having directions spoken into my ear. I can't wait to try it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts