GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm new to this list so I suppose an intro is in order.

My name is Tom, live in Pueblo, Colorado and have been riding for about 40 years. My newest ride is a 05 GL1800 that I picked up today. Very nice bike and I think it do nicely for my travels.

My question is:

I have been using an Autocom system on my Concours for music and intercom with my wife. Now that I have a Wing, I'd like to use the OEM Honda intercom but stay with the Autocom headsets. The Honda has a five pin plug and the Autocom has a seven pin plug so they don't fit together real good (not at all). Is there an interface that I can put on the Wing so I can use the same Autocom headsets on both bikes?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you intend to keep the Autocom unit on another bike, then I know of no adaptor that will adapt Autocom headsets to the GL's headset wiring, but there probably is one out there and I just don't know about it. However, if you are transferring the Autocom to the GL, there is an adaptor from Autocom that will route all of the GL's audio output to the Autocom's music input. Go to Autocomamerica's website and search Part # 1341. Just disconnect the GL's OEM rear headset pigtail from the harness and plug in Autocom's Part 1341. The other end connects to the music input of the Autocom unit itself. Now any audio from the bike, including rider/passenger communications, stereo, or onboard GPS (if the bike is so equipped) that would normally run to the bike's intercom system, will now route to the Autocom then to your helmet speakers.
How's that for pressing the Easy button?
Dan

·
Registered
344 Posts
Scooby II said:
Hi all

I'm new to this list so I suppose an intro is in order.

My name is Tom, live in Pueblo, Colorado and have been riding for about 40 years. My newest ride is a 05 GL1800 that I picked up today. Very nice bike and I think it do nicely for my travels.

My question is:

I have been using an Autocom system on my Concours for music and intercom with my wife. Now that I have a Wing, I'd like to use the OEM Honda intercom but stay with the Autocom headsets. The Honda has a five pin plug and the Autocom has a seven pin plug so they don't fit together real good (not at all). Is there an interface that I can put on the Wing so I can use the same Autocom headsets on both bikes?

Thanks for any and all help.
Welcome aboard Scooby! Hate to bring bad news to you with your first post, but... The Autocom headsets are a different breed of cat and NOT compatible with the Wing's stock intercom. You either go stock, or all Autocom with Wing interface module. If all you have is already working well with the Autocom system, contact Autocom about getting the Wing interface module to allow swapping the system into the Wings audio package. That would be the least expensive approach. If on the other hand you want to go with the stock intercom on the Wing, get some headsets from Edsets and right away add Mic-Mutes. That would be your most cost effective and satisfying approach if going that route.

Good luck and enjoy the fall color there in the mountains.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not the greatest news I ever got but thanks just the same. Can you tell me where I would look for the Edsets your talking about.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Scooby,
The wife and I have Nolan flip up helmets and use the J&M headsets HS-CD9174UN and like them a lot. They work just fine with the 1800 stock system and they are not that expensive. Of course with all J&M stuff- the lower cords HC-PB is extra $$$.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Edsets and supporting information is at http://www.edsets.com/. However, once you've experienced the clarity and noise reduction technology of the the Autocom System as you have, the Honda system will seem primitive.

Dan

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree DanP, Autocom rocks. Now I need to work out how to swing audio from external speakers to Autocom headset. I have the Autocom interface lead, just need some kind of changeover device. :?
I sometimes ride with a group and we sourced some Kenwood walkie talkies from eBay. More Autocom leads, but it all works well. Bike to bike, rider to passenger, GPS, MP3. You gotta love gadgets. :D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
twinsbampy,
if you have used the converter plug from Autocom, that allows you to use Aoutocom with the "central" OEM radio system, then switching between speakers and headsets is done simply by pressing the audio source button until you see a pic of the headphones on the screen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
icing777, what a forum. Ask and ye shall be told. :oops: Thanks for that, I'm on the case. I don't suppose you can tell me where in the system I plug my just installed rear speakers? I'm just going to have to get a wiring schematic.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't know about the speakers, but I AM SURE people will chime in on that one. My speakers were factory installed. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To all those that wrote, thank you.

I decided to do some research on mating the Autocom with the Wing, so for the time being, I put the Autocom unit on the wing as a stand alone intercom. Only powered by the bike but not connected to the sound system.

Once again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
KZ said:
...The Autocom headsets are a different breed of cat and NOT compatible with the Wing's stock intercom. You either go stock, or all Autocom with Wing interface module...
Not exactly accurate - Autocom has an adapter that will provide the necessary interface between the 1800 headset pigtail and the Autocom headsets - it's part number 1048.

The full Autocom installation will provide a cleaner-sounding intercom system - the headset adapter sometimes injects noise into the system, especially when powered from the ACC terminals on the fuse block. The adapter doesn't have a ground wire so it relies on the ground provided through the audio system - this is a poor design that lends itself to increased noise.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The wing intercom suffers from some mechanical input, ( microphonics),
wind and bacground noise on all the time unless the volume is set low.
My auto volume which was good at first, ceased working.
Bought the Autocom AVi, probably cheaper tha 2 new headsets for the wing, plus you can use the same helmets. Also has inputs for FRS radio,
phone sat nav, iPod, Autocom isolators required for these. Also available is an interface specific for the Wing CB,
Jas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts