GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold the Yamaha Royal Venture on Sunday. I still had the money from selling the VTX1800C in November. We've been looking for the Goldwing my wife and I wanted.

Walked into Cycle Country in Salem to just look, and guess what I found, the perfect bike:

2007 Goldwing Dark Red, Prem. Audio, Nav, Comfort package. I think the guy "tinkled" a little when he asked if he could help me and I responded, "I'm going to buy this bike."

They got the price right:

Bike, spoiler, fog lights, 4 year additional warranty (7 total), Highway pegs with all accessories installed, with license and title....$21K

So here is a couple of questions, I need some good advice:

-What headsets would you recommend for intercom and listening to the stereo for full face helmets? I want as clear of a sound as possible.

-Is the CB worth the $600?

-Do you like the Bridgestone tires?

-Is a Heel/Toe shifter w/floorboards worth it? and which set would you recommend?

Thanks for the help,

Ray

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ray,

Welcome aboard!

Answers:

I feel the CB is worth it, especially if you plan on riding with folks that have CB's.

Stones are as good as any tire.

Floorboards and heel toe shifter. My guess is that you wait, find someone at a get together that has that set up and pick their brain.

Good Luck with your choices. i think that you got a sweet deal!

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I gotta agree with the Dawg; things like heel toe shifters are best to check out in person.

I also agree with the CB purchase, but only if you are riding with another who has one. It's waaaaaaay to expensive for what it is, but having it all integrated with the bike and controls sure is sweet.

Just be patient and you will find enough stuff to spend you $$$ on. We'll help as much as we can. :wink:

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
What Dawg said and I have the J&M elite and love them. Great sound.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Re: headsets.....sound quality is one thing but pretty useless if your helmet allows significant wind noise. Take this into consideration before you spend the big bucks on helmet speakers.

I found a set of Sony ear buds which work way better because they shut out virtually all wind noise (but not essential noise like sirens or tire noise from the car creeping up on you). However, a lot of people have problems wearing ear buds for long periods of time so YMMV.

A company (in WA state I think) makes a conversion plug so you can plug your ear bud mini stereo jack right into your stock Honda audio cable if you go this route.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
welcome to the madness....

to answer your questions...

Ed Sets!

No

No

No

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The CB is WAY over priced. But if you want a CB, it's the only way to go. I got it and I like it.

I have the Kuryakyn floorboard with heel/toe shifter. I think they look the best of all I've seen and they work just fine. If you're an agressive rider you'll scrape them more than you would the pegs.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
CB is expensive but works great.

Floorboards are comfortable, but limit the lean angle. I had a set on my 1500, loved them, do not have them on my 1800 as this bike is too much fun riding through the twisties.

J & M make a good headset, great service.

Keep tire pressure up to max. as per sidewall, slightly firmer ride, but better handling than lower pressures as suggested by Honda.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
new ride

Welcome
I agree with waiting on the heal toe, I would look into getting an extremely important saftey device and doing it right away, the Smart Tire pressure device. Check out Fred H.'s site for that. Someone else will give you Freds web site. Note Fred's install of that product.

As far as head phones for a full face. This is something I know about. I highly recommend you get the custom fitted ear mold with speaker built in. You will have the best of hearing protection and sound quality for your music. You could look into that from Ear Plug Superstore or Now Hear This. Use google to find these places. You will be very very pleased. I also suggest you look into getting the Autocom system for controlling intercom and audio. This also is written up on Fred H.'s site. If Fred H. recommends something you can take it to the bank. This country would all be a lot better off if Fred were President.

There is a thread on this board by a member named Quickdraw that is the most knowledgeable piece on Ear buds. The title of that thread is:
"Holy Sound Quality Batman". Read that thread and you will be an expert. Good luck with your new wing........you will be very happy.

We have two nice rallys that many members attend. In the east, around the first of June "Catscade" and in the west, in late July "Rockies Gold" in Montrose Colorado. See you at one or both.

·
Registered
751 Posts
CB is expensive but is nice if you are planning on doing any group rides. Also it did come in handy when I went on a trip out of state. I had floor boards and heel toe shifter on my 1500 and I thought I was going to get them for my 1800, but now I do not miss them. I would recommend hi-way peg or boards so you can place your legs in different positions on long rides.
Also I like Edset and Air Rider headset.
Good luck and welcome aboard!

·
Registered
818 Posts
For What It's Worth

Here's my take on all this.

Ed-sets in a Nolan Flip

Don't want a C.B.

Use E-3's and like the grip

Check out the KING OF COMFORT DD KING before you spend bucks on pegs/floorboards/seats/cushions, etc. He has spent untold amounts of time and $$$$$ on this area. His expertise(???) in this area is legendary.

DEPUTYDAWG :cop2:
05 DARK GREY C.E.A.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts