GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’ve been searching to buy my first Goldwing. I’m looking around the 2005-2009 range. There are two bikes that I’m interested in. The prices are pretty well the same. One is an 2009 with 17k miles and the other is an 07 with 24k miles. The difference being that the 07 supposedly has over $2k in suspension upgrades (front fork springs, front fork brace, upgraded rear shock and spring), I’m wondering does the suspension upgrades make any difference?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Welcome to the forum and you will probably get several answers. Here is mine.

Based on what I read on this forum before purchasing my 2015, I determined that having the Traxxion suspension upgrade was something I wanted to do and I did. I noticed a difference immediately. Dropped it off at Traxxion in Woodstock, GA one morning, picked it up several hours later. It was a different bike.

My friend, who has ridden on long road trips with me since 2004 or so, has a 2006 Goldwing and does not have the suspension upgrade. We have traveled the same roads, same weather and he has not felt the need for a change.

Given what I know and if the bikes are in similar condition, I'd suggest that the the one with the upgrade. But I would like to know if it was the Traxxion upgrade. I don't know about others.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Upgrades

Hi,

I’ve been searching to buy my first Goldwing. I’m looking around the 2005-2009 range. There are two bikes that I’m interested in. The prices are pretty well the same. One is an 2009 with 17k miles and the other is an 07 with 24k miles. The difference being that the 07 supposedly has over $2k in suspension upgrades (front fork springs, front fork brace, upgraded rear shock and spring), I’m wondering does the suspension upgrades make any difference?

Thanks
I'd suggest finding out what is on the bike already. It could be Traxxion or it could be something else. OTOH, you are the only one that can tell if you need an upgrade. For some people the stock suspension is fine. For others, not so much. I do not have a full Traxxion upgrade, but do have upgraded front and rear springs and a Traxxion triple tree. It works fine for me but I don't push my bike nearly as hard as some others on the board do.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Newbie question, Do Goldwing’s need suspension upgrades?

Here is the short answer. If you can afford it, yes absolutely 5th gens need a suspension upgrade. If you cannot afford it, then no, they in no way need a suspension upgrade.

If I were you, and since that 2009 has less miles, I'd get that one because it has TPMS, and if NAVI, XM radar too. With its low mileage, the suspension will be just fine. However, as the mileage racks on, and when its young springs began to provide a worsening ride, then have your suspension upgraded.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'd value the suspension update if it was well done. I assume Traxxion?

I'd also lean to 2008 or later -- various updates with TPMS, heated grips, radiator, frame, ADG -- that's the year and stuff, isn't it? OP, don't trust me until someone confirms.

Most of all, if one has ABS and one doesn't, I'd weight the one with ABS.

Most likely: the reality is all over that map, competing priorities, player's choice. Depends on how you ride and what is important to you.

Just off the cuff, I'd take a 2009 ABS (level III) over a 2007 level 1 with Traxxion, every day and twice on Sunday, given anywhere near comparable price and condition.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
It sounds to me like the suspension upgrade for the older bike is not Traction. Even if it is, if the original rider is a different weight or rides differently, then the upgrades might not work for you. Many riders after getting their first wing find their own riding style changes too. Add all of that together and make your choice. It's all good anyway. Both will be good bikes.

Richard

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I agree the 09 less miles , newer, hopefully with factory navi equals xm and live weather radar and live traffic
As to suspension progressive mono tubes for the front forks about 360 bucks with fork rebuild kit, and rear shock and spring from a 2012 or newer about 200. That will give you a awesome ride for the money other wise get ready to spend thousands.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I'd value the suspension update if it was well done. I assume Traxxion?

I'd also lean to 2008 or later -- various updates with TPMS, heated grips, radiator, frame, ADG -- that's the year and stuff, isn't it? OP, don't trust me until someone confirms.

Most of all, if one has ABS and one doesn't, I'd weight the one with ABS.

Most likely: the reality is all over that map, competing priorities, player's choice. Depends on how you ride and what is important to you.

Just off the cuff, I'd take a 2009 ABS (level III) over a 2007 level 1 with Traxxion, every day and twice on Sunday, given anywhere near comparable price and condition.
2006 had the bigger radiator, premium audio with amp, comfort package, bigger alternator, NAV, ADG, ETC. 2009 (US) came with the slightly better GPS and TPMS, but it was just a light that was pretty much worthless - definitely not anything to sway a purchase.

I made this guide a while back:

2001-2005: ABS or Non-ABS

Early 2006:
Level 1 (P): Premium Audio
Level 2 (HP): Add Comfort Package
Level 3 (HPN): Add Navigation
Level 4 (HPNA): Add ABS

Late 2006-2008:
Level 2 (HPN): Add Comfort Package, Navigation
Level 3 (HPNA): Add ABS
Level 4 (B): Add Airbag

2009-2010:
Level 1 (HPM): Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2 (HPNM): Add Navigation/Weather/XM
Level 3 (HPNAM): Add ABS
Level 4 (BM): Add Airbag

2012-2017:
Level 1: Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2: Add Navigation/Weather/XM/Trip Planner
Level 3: Add ABS
Level 4: Add Airbag

My 2006 was a Level 4 when I bought it... Airbag wasn't available yet. So if you know GoldWings all you need to know is the top level item and year to know everything that is on a Wing. But most don't know so it's better to forget about the "levels" and just list the items on the bike.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
IMO NO, it all depends on how you ride and how much of a load you're carrying. I rode mine until it needed overhauled without any problems. Now if you're asking is an aftermarket suspension better, the answer is yes. But not necessary for many riders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For my money I would lean towards the level 3 with ABS. I’ve ridden a lot of north east/ mid states with mountain gradients, twisty turns, etc and use what came with the bike with no issues. I’m sure some will definitely notice the difference but I’m not one of them that need to justify spending for an upgrade I don’t need. There’s a difference between NEED amongst us all. Don’t sweat the upgrade. Get the ABS and enjoy your ride and see for yourself. Upgrades are always available. 2009 ABS model gets my vote

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. All great info. Looks like the 09 is out of the running. It was dropped and there is damage to the fairings. Not sure if I want the hassle of tracking down parts or going it repaired. I guessing it will $$$$$$

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Suspension can be changed later if you want a different (sportier?) ride.

ABS cannot be added.

I'd find one that is ABS, and be less concerned about the suspension installed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The primary reason to switch to awing is ABS and cruise control. Won’t buy a bike unless it has both.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I bought a 2016 ABS model new and now have 21,000 miles on it. Is the stock suspension perfect? Clearly not, but I don't feel the need for any upgrade, especially at the high cost of the Traxxion system. But then again, I bought this bike for the comfort, quietness, protection from the elements, storage capacity, reliability, and the extras of cruise control, reverse, built in GPS, AM/FM/Sirius , and passenger accommodations. After three years of riding this bike, I still am happy with the stock suspension.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks?

2006 had the bigger radiator, premium audio with amp, comfort package, bigger alternator, NAV, ADG, ETC. 2009 (US) came with the slightly better GPS and TPMS, but it was just a light that was pretty much worthless - definitely not anything to sway a purchase.

I made this guide a while back:

2001-2005: ABS or Non-ABS

Early 2006:
Level 2 (HP): Add Comfort Package
Level 3 (HPN): Add Navigation
Level 4 (HPNA): Add ABS

Late 2006-2008:
Level 2 (HPN): Add Comfort Package, Navigation
Level 3 (HPNA): Add ABS
Level 4 (B): Add Airbag

2009-2010:
Level 1 (HPM): Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2 (HPNM): Add Navigation/Weather/XM
Level 3 (HPNAM): Add ABS
Level 4 (BM): Add Airbag

2012-2017:
Level 1: Premium Audio, Comfort Package, TPMS
Level 2: Add Navigation/Weather/XM/Trip Planner
Level 3: Add ABS
Level 4: Add Airbag

My 2006 was a Level 4 when I bought it... Airbag wasn't available yet. So if you know GoldWings all you need to know is the top level item and year to know everything that is on a Wing. But most don't know so it's better to forget about the "levels" and just list the items on the bike.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have had a 1990, 1997, 2008 Gold Wing and now ride a 2016 F6B. No upgrades to any of them because the type of riding I do, in my opinion, does not need a suspension upgrade. I ride somewhat aggressively, but I am sure 75% of you could out corner me. So I am completely happy how my F6B handles. Just can not justify the price of an upgrade at my current age..

·
Registered
756 Posts
One could ride both and decide if the suspension is better or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts