GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and apologize if this was already asked and answered. Couldnt find anything on the forum. Is there ANY way to leave the saddlebags and trunk UNLOCKED when it is just sitting in the garage. I keep the key in the house and every time I want to get something out of the bike its locked and wont unlock till my lazy butt walks inside, gets the key, then tries again. I just want the option to leave it unlocked when it is secured in the garage.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The trunk and saddlebags will lock automatically when out of range of the Smart Key. The only alternative is to press the UNLOCK button on the Smart Key to unlock the bags without taking the Fob to the bike.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yes...leave the key in the garage, perhaps on the bike seat. Like you said, it is secured in the garage.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I have searched and apologize if this was already asked and answered. Couldn't find anything on the forum. Is there ANY way to leave the saddlebags and trunk UNLOCKED when it is just sitting in the garage. I keep the key in the house and every time I want to get something out of the bike its locked and wont unlock till my lazy butt walks inside, gets the key, then tries again. I just want the option to leave it unlocked when it is secured in the garage.
If the bike is secure in the garage, leave the fob in the centre pocket.

Fob battery may not last as long (but they are cheap)....but the bags will unlock when you go out.

As others posted, you could shut of the fob and leave it there -- but it means an extra step to use fob before button forn bag/trunk, and it won't require a trip back into house to get the fob.

If you wish to use the UNLOCK button on the Fob so you don't have to carry it out and then return it, remember that manual indicates that the unlock command will time out after 30 seconds....

"If you press the UNLOCK button, but nobody opens any of the compartments
within about 30 seconds or about 30 seconds have passed after an opened
compartment is closed, the compartments automatically will relock (Turn signals blinks once).'

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
@Piggy1132 It can happen just leave the latch ajar. I just left my trunk open because a thermos full of water leaked and I had to let it air out overnight. I went back to secure the trunk lid and it would not allow me to lock it. Oh, I remembered that if you don't have the FOB with you it will not allow you to lock the trunk/saddlebags.....only after trying I think the magic number was 5 tries it finally locked. Guess it is a built-in feature in hopes of keeping you from locking your FOB in whatever compartment you may have left it in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts