GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for a while. Thanks to all of you I ordered a 04 black abs that should be in by the middle of february, and have a question regarding the onboard air compressor...how do you hook it up to inflate tires etc?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The GL1800 does not have an onboard air-compressor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OOPS,

oops...told you I was a newbie......that would explain why I have never heard anyone talk about it...thanks

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I have heard praise and curses for the 1500 air supply. On the 1800 several folks have taken to using the inexpensive Campbell-Halstead 12volt unit sold at WM for less then 20 US dollars. They take the outer case off to save room and hook it directly to the battery with cable clips or use the two pole push together trailor type coupler with an inline fuse. I did that and the rig did not look to be something I wanted to rely upon out in the badlands. I have noticed a smaller 12V unit at Advanced Auto Parts that would be able to keep its shell, but I pack along my trusty foot operated Monkey Grip piston pump along with a self assembled kit of tire plugs, glue, gague, valve cores, valve core tool, exra dust caps, and Slime. to each his own -- may you ride millions and millions of miles wlithout need of any of that.

prs

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
there are several 12 volt emergency type air inflators avaible in the 20 -50 dollar range. some are very tiny.

places like gander mt and rei camping stores offer a few choices.

loren

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<Campbell-Halstead 12volt unit sold at WM for less then 20 US dollars>

Actually, it's about $10. and while not as fast as the normal gas station compressor, works quite well and is more than adequate to pump up a flat tire on a Wing in a relatively short time I discovered one day after picking up a nail. I plugged the rear tire and pumped it up to 41 lbs in short order and was back to civilization soon there after. Without the case, they also fit in nicely under the rear trunk by the CB. For a cheap compressor it works amazingly well and has been quite dependable, but then Campbell Halstead is a pretty reputable company that know the field well.

DaleC

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, Dale is right on. There was a great write-up in the Oct. 2002 Motorcycle Consumer News about how to remove the outer case and make a few modifications to make it very compact. In their test it took 5 min. to go from flat to 43 psi. I never leave home without mine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've been hauling my $10 CH air compressor around for a couple of years now. It is excellent for use while traveling. I check my tires every morning while the tires are cold, and if they need a little air, it isn't necessary to ride around and look for a filling station with an air compressor.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The clown , opps I mean sales rep that helped me with my GL1800 purchase told me the bike had an on board air compressor.

I asked him to : "Show me the compressor and how it works"

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
granpa in Cincy said:
The 1800 doesn't have an onboard air compressor. The 1500's did.
They took 'em off the 1800 to save weight.
Good one, Granpa! They left 'em off because the 1800's suspension doesn't use air for adjustment like the 1200 and 1500 did. Filling tires was just a bonus; the main reason was for the suspension.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Also the 1500's air compressor was pretty weak for filling tires, it would take a really long time to air up a tire, and you risked burning up the compressor, which was needed for the suspension!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts