GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: I'm the new owner of a yellow 02 Wing. Stopped being a lurker, now I am official. What's the secret handshake? Anyway, I've got a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. The driveway to my garage slopes up with a beveled curb at the bottom. When I ride up the curb I have no problem other than trying to avoid ending up in my Juniper bushes. Coming down is the issue. With all my other bikes, I would just go down the curb at an angle with no problem. However, since the GW is a porker I don't know whether to go straight down very carefully since I'm 5'7" and 145lbs or use the same technique and ride down the curb at an angle?:excited: I don't want to become roadkill for the coyotes in my neighborhood. I love the ride, no issues other than a left pannier that sticks shut. You thoughts would be appreciated.
Steve
Denver

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Steve...take the curb like you are used to riding it...at the angle and accelerate over/across it. If you creep across and it sticks...you will drop it!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Got the same problem. I back my wing down the driveway, back on to the sidewalk then ride at an angle over the curb. Welcome, have fun with the wing.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
No secret handshake Steve.

Only protocol is - if you stop at a rest area and there are other GW's riders there, you have to stop and do the YMCA dance, only spelling out AARP. :joke:

...that's bad, but then so am I.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No secret handshake just the vanilla, chocolate and strawberry at the nearest
DAIRY QUEEN!:?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Newbie question

Steve...take the curb like you are used to riding it...at the angle and accelerate over/across it. If you creep across and it sticks...you will drop it!
Steve,

Transformer is right, the #1 thing is do not stop, keep moving! If you try to "baby" the bike across small curbs, humps, etc., you risk dropping the bike or getting a foot caught under it...ask me how I know about that! Keep your feet on the pegs, and keep movin'!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have an up slope curved driveway. I find it easier to back her up using the reverse, and ride down to the street. I used to ride up into the garage, and walk the bikes down backwards when I rode the VTX with no reverse. That's just my technique, hope it helps.:cool:

·
Registered
658 Posts
My driveway slopes as well with a nice curb at the bottom. I usually drive into the garage. When I leave I back out and turn around then drive out across the curbing.
Dont be afraid of the bike. Drive it like you own it. Its a real stable and easy to drive across the curbing.

Welcome to the group.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just remember, once you get the big girl moving, she handles as good as or better than most so you should be go to go - as long as you go. Also, welcome to the fun.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The above advice is good. Remember this. If you drop it, it's not the end of the world. I think you'll do just fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Everybody!!!

Thanks all: I appreciated all the help. I replaced my shield with a Clearview vented tonight. Drove myself crazy not being able to get hood back on until I realized the the windshield levers need to be in the up position so to allow the nuts to fit over the screws next to the mirrors. Duh,some of my best thoughts come at midnight after working all day. Should have asked. Anyway, thanks for the greetings, I'm sure I'll have more questions.
Regards,
Steve
Denver

·
Registered
848 Posts
I drive up my driveway and then when I get to the garage door pull sideways and then back and forth, lining the bike up so that I can back into the garage. I DO NOT like backing down the driveway! In the morning I am able to drive straight down and out into the street. Welcome and good luck.

O

·
0 Posts
Congrats

Congrats on your new bike! Welcome to the forum!

I ride up into the garage (if my wife's car isn't in there), then turn the wing around and back it in. My driveway has significant slope. I prefer to ride down it instead of backing down it.

You probably already know this, but just look where you want to go & get there, and don't stop or you'll drop (I've done that 3 times - once each with my previous 3 Goldwings. It hurt my ego but not the bikes). I'm going to TRY to not do that again with tis wing.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
WELCOME !!! :thumbup:

I too ride a 2002 YELLOW 'Wing ... 81,000 miles so far ...

... east-central Indiana ... right between the corn and the beans ... :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome, Steve--
Try a little silicon spray --or the Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish (great stuff, btw) on the gasket of your pannier. That may be all it takes to stop the sticking.
OB

·
Registered
386 Posts
:congrats: on your new to you Wing. You've already received some really good advice and techniques for crossing the curb, so I won't add to it. Welcome to the club.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts