GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings; "long-time listener, first-time caller (I think...)" (old radio joke...I digress!)

Okay, so with about 5k left on that rear E3 I have, and watching guys like Leftwinger a couple of weeks ago doing some mighty fine riding with a CT, I am intrigued.

Here's my questions, in no particular order:

We tend to have a lot of independent tire shops here in the desert; any luck in (a) finding the size you need at a place like that and (b) getting it mounted and balanced with an existing MC tire on it?

What's been the most reliable and/or least expensive source for obtaining a spare rear wheel? (Trike take-off's, I know, but where are they easily sourced from?)

Thanks; looking forward to your replies!

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Can't help with the first question, but the second one I can.

Ebay or our 'Wanted' board seem to best place to score a spare rim. To be honest, you really won't need the spare rim once you get the CT on. The spare rim will only that...a spare.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What's been the most reliable and/or least expensive source for obtaining a spare rear wheel? (Trike take-off's, I know, but where are they easily sourced from?)
I'm no expert, but this one I can help with.

I got a spare one off a guy here in the "For Sale ads". $60 inc. shipping. It had a few minor marks on it, but is solid otherwise. I've bought a couple things there and I've found that people in the for sale section are pretty up front about the condition of things that they're selling.

Personally, I'm glad I bought one. If for nothing else than the piece of mind that if I want to switch back later, it will be a relitively minor job.

If it turns out that I stay with the CT, then I'll have a second new one mounted on the other rim so there won't be any big "rush" like there is now when I need to change tires.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I got my rim on Ebay from a trike shop near me. Came the next day in the mail. Only paid 50 dollars for it. There are a lot available on Ebay. I highly recommend that as your source.

Can't help on the other question.

Good luck.....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I got my tire through http://www.tirerack.com and had a local used tire gut put it on. The only difference is they have to clamp from the outside, not the inside to mounts. Skip the balance. Forget weights. used Dynabeads. i use them in my cars and bikes. Too easy and smoothie like buttah... http://www.dynabeads.com

Cheers!

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, fellas, for the replies. Checked out fleaBay yesterday; rim/tire combos for up to $200 - that once came with new OEM Dunnie.

Again, have a few months to so more research. The only thing I guess I'd like to try would to take a ride on one around the block - anyone in Tucson running dark? :doorag:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
kwthom, It's a little trouble to do. But worth the effort.

With a RUNFLAT/CT on hand there is no compelling reason to have a

spare rim. But a spair tire/wheel is a convenience.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My reason.....

for a spare rim is so that when I head out on a long trip I can put on a set of tires that wont need changing during the trip. Then when I get home I can wear out the ones with less tread left, always saving a set with lots of tread for the next trip. It used to erk me to dismount a tire with 20%, 30% or more of there tread left.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks, fellas, for the replies. Checked out fleaBay yesterday; rim/tire combos for up to $200 - that once came with new OEM Dunnie.

Again, have a few months to so more research. The only thing I guess I'd like to try would to take a ride on one around the block - anyone in Tucson running dark? :doorag:
no, but I'm in Dallas, come on over and take mine for a spin...I'll buy lunch.:lol:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
for a spare rim is so that when I head out on a long trip I can put on a set of tires that wont need changing during the trip. Then when I get home I can wear out the ones with less tread left, always saving a set with lots of tread for the next trip. It used to erk me to dismount a tire with 20%, 30% or more of there tread left.
With a CT that thought will be a distant memory. ;)

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no, but I'm in Dallas, come on over and take mine for a spin...I'll buy lunch.:lol:
Find a decent Mexican food place in El Paso, and I'll be there! :shock: I need to get the Republic of Texas on my "states ridden" map anyway. I'll keep ya in mind if nothing turns up closer :thumbup:

galewing said:
<...>But a spare tire/wheel is a convenience
Naah, more like a luxury- but with the equipment I have already, not needing to rush to get a tire and mounted, etc. would make life easier, I think, just for this reason:

rjhiii46 said:
<...>I can put on a set of tires that wont need changing during the trip. Then when I get home I can wear out the ones with less tread left, always saving a set with lots of tread for the next trip.
I like that concept, and would like to try it. Seems like recouping the money wouldn't be a problem if it doesn't work out..

·
Registered
192 Posts
KWTHOM:

You need to get away from Bob&Tom:thumbup: Somehow they just stick in your brain. For what it is worth that's from "Mr. Obvious" Oh my god, their stuck in my brain too!
Just love the garbage disposal question.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Just be patient. Set up an Email alert for your search. The wheels are there every now and then. Should be around $75+ ship. Cheers...:doorag:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts