GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Hi I am a new poster here, my name is Alexander, which is normally known as "Sandy" in Scotland..... NOT A GIRLS NAME. hehehehe
I had a ST1300 for a few years and did all maintenance on it, no problem. But now I have a problem working out how to check my 2010 GL1800's oil level. Eek!
I eventually removed all the previous owner's "bike to bike intercom" mash-up wiring, with Autocom etc. The Honda stuff now seems to work great for the rider-to-pillion which is what i need.
I need an idiot's guide to removing the plastic. I have a crack in the "meter panel visor", and I want to change it, but I got the front off, and the screen off, but it needs serious plastic surgery.
Help?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
also freds videos are great to do own work .=fredh

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Along with the help videos get yourself the Honda service manual shows how to take apart most everything on the bike as well as troubleshoot problems

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Along with the help videos get yourself the Honda service manual shows how to take apart most everything on the bike as well as troubleshoot problems
+1 on the manual. Videos are nice, but the Honda service manual works just fine for me.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sandy - The videos are both really good, but unfortunately for you across the "pond" they are in the NTSC format not PAL you folks use. The manual would be your best investment. They put a few extra steps in to it at times, but all in all it is well done. Hope this helps and remember there are many here who can help also. Take care.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
You may also want to check this website out also - He's got many videos showing how to take the tupperware off and do various items - It is what I first used before getting the manuals and Fred's videos. And he's located over on that side of the pond vs. here.

And welcome to the forum, and may you have many miles of smiles.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sandy,

One other great source of information is any of the online parts break downs. They will show all the parts associated with a sub-system. HDL has theirs at http://www.hondadirectline.com/oempartfinder.htm# and they provide Honda part numbers and decent prices. It is very handy to see all the parts associated with some assembly. The shop manual in invaluable, but this is a huge asset to go hand in hand with it. I really wish this was available on DVD or CD.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Hi folks,
Hi I am a new poster here, my name is Alexander, which is normally known as "Sandy" in Scotland..... NOT A GIRLS NAME. hehehehe
I had a ST1300 for a few years and did all maintenance on it, no problem. But now I have a problem working out how to check my 2010 GL1800's oil level. Eek!
I eventually removed all the previous owner's "bike to bike intercom" mash-up wiring, with Autocom etc. The Honda stuff now seems to work great for the rider-to-pillion which is what i need.
I need an idiot's guide to removing the plastic. I have a crack in the "meter panel visor", and I want to change it, but I got the front off, and the screen off, but it needs serious plastic surgery.
Help?
Off topic but you brought it up.
Yeeeaaarrrs ago, 50+, we had a fast food chain called Sandy's, about the same time as McDonald's came to town. Their logo was a Scotsman wearing a plaid kilt, maybe they have to be plaid to be a kilt, what do I know. Now you have me wondering if an Alexander started the franchise?

I just googled it and it was a Scotswoman, found a link to the Sandy's that was in my town. Still looking into the Alexander thing.
http://sandys.out-2-eat.com/templates/locations/sandyspekin.html

Nope, not related to Alexander at all.
Sandy's Scottish name was a copy/play on "McDonalds" and was intended to present a theme of swift service. Sandy's was involved with an on going lawsuit with McDonalds which finally ended in an out of court settlement in 1965.
Interesting story about Sandy's didn't know this but it started in Peoria, IL just up the road about 10 miles!
http://sandys.out-2-eat.com/templates/locations/sandys.html

·
Registered
576 Posts
Oil level

Checking oil level. Set the bike level and remove the dipstick. Wipe off and replace without screwing back in. Remove and check stick.
BTW: My grandparents came from Glasgow. I'm Alexander Fraser IV. I've been called Sandy from birth. Welcome aboard laddie.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Hi folks,
Help?
Crack in meter panel visor?? Are you speaking of the plastic of the actual meter panel after the top panel with speaker grills is removed? If so there is no field repair of the actual meter panel. And they are not cheap, but that panel is held in with four 8mm bolts once the top panel is removed.........as you have already?

Mine messed up and it was replaced under warranty, and I got a new title that says unknown milage as it that panel is also the odometer.........that meter panel??

If it is the top meter panel they are dime a dozen any color and variable and just buy a new one and install it.

As for that url.......well the url dipstick is behind the right lower cover, that one just above the brake lever.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crack in meter panel visor?? Are you speaking of the plastic of the actual meter panel after the top panel with speaker grills is removed? If so there is no field repair of the actual meter panel. And they are not cheap, but that panel is held in with four 8mm bolts once the top panel is removed.........as you have already?

Mine messed up and it was replaced under warranty, and I got a new title that says unknown milage as it that panel is also the odometer.........that meter panel??

If it is the top meter panel they are dime a dozen any color and variable and just buy a new one and install it.

As for that url.......well the url dipstick is behind the right lower cover, that one just above the brake lever.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys.
Yes I will definitely be getting hold of some of those videos - thanks.
The meter panel visor I mentioned is the black plastic moulding which sits on top of the meters, goes right down behind the windshield, and down to each mirror. It seems to be a bitch to get off but I'm sure I'm only missing the location of a couple of clips or something, I have all the screws/bolts removed but it's still pretty tightly attached to the actual meter panel somehow. I checked the price for a new one - ouch. For an unpainted plastic moulding it runs pretty steep.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1 on the manual. Videos are nice, but the Honda service manual works just fine for me.
Yep I agree, I have the Honda shop manual, it's just that the specific part I'm trying to remove isn't covered in a lot of depth.
Maybe I'm misreading it or something, but I appear to be floowing the shop manual correctly but then just need an idiot's guide to the position of these damned "clips".

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sandy - The videos are both really good, but unfortunately for you across the "pond" they are in the NTSC format not PAL you folks use. The manual would be your best investment. They put a few extra steps in to it at times, but all in all it is well done. Hope this helps and remember there are many here who can help also. Take care.

Crabby Bob
Just wanted to chime in about the formats... Today pretty much all LCD, Plasma, etc TV's and DVD players BOUGHT in Europe will support both formats, it is funny that the US consumers market still holds fast to the format issue and will intentionally block the PAL decoders in units bought in the US, while there is no technical need to do so any longer and lets not even go into Regions issues ... Anyway just thought I would say my .02 € ... ;)

Edit: oh and welcome to the Forum Sandy, it is really quite a fun place....

·
Registered
812 Posts
Checking oil level. Set the bike level and remove the dipstick. Wipe off and replace without screwing back in. Remove and check stick.
BTW: My grandparents came from Glasgow. I'm Alexander Fraser IV. I've been called Sandy from birth. Welcome aboard laddie.

Hey Cuz! You and I have the same last name (spelled alike). Don't find too many Frasers with this spelling. I did have a pleasant surprise last year as we were riding the Rockies and rode into the town of Fraser Colorado and after stopping there for a few hours, found the people there to be very friendly and accommodating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep I agree, I have the Honda shop manual, it's just that the specific part I'm trying to remove isn't covered in a lot of depth.
Maybe I'm misreading it or something, but I appear to be floowing the shop manual correctly but then just need an idiot's guide to the position of these damned "clips".

OK I think I might have it - I reckon I might need to remove the inner "meter panel" also - found on this board, here:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?196034-06-10-Dash-Removal-(non-air-bag)
I reckon there will be more "clips" in there to let me get the meter panel visor off?
The shop manual says to remove the meter panel, I thought it was talking about the actual instrument cluster so I subconsciously disregarded that step as it looked like far too much trouble!

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
A hearty welcome to you, Sandy! Not much to add to above, other than good luck!

prs

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
fish enclosed

Welcome aboard! I'm in agreement that the service manual is devoid of some necessary information about a lot of things.

Getting the engine covers off can be a challenge since they seem to butt up against the frame tightly. I devised this little tool to help the process. Old screwdriver with heat shrink on it.

covertool.jpg
http://partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053ed6af870021c54be46aa/windscreen-gl180006

Image1.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts