GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been stalking here for a couple of years, thought I'd join and say hi (OK, I admit, I have a question). I have an '04 GL1800 Titanium and love it. Had an '82 Aspencade before (nice bike but can't compare to this Wing). I also have a '71 CB350 and a '70 CT70.This board has been a treasure trove of information! There are some very smart people here and I've learned a lot.
Now for the question. We're going to Miramar Beach, Florida next month. Gonna take the big road to Montgomery, AL, but need the best route from there. I have looked at 3 different map programs and they all give a different route. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Depends on what you like in your travel plans.

If getting there quickly is a priority than zip on down the combination of I-75, Florida Turnpike, 528 (Beeline also is a tool road) and I-95 (or stay on the Turnpike until in South Florida).

If you want something scenic than consider working your way over to Florida Highway A1A (our beach highway). This time of year you can hope for some sea breeze to cool you down but that would really slow you down and then the heat would be noticeable at stop lights. Some places you would also have to jog around using US1 (notably around Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and Kennedy Space Center) however US1 has some decent river views.

I also like riding in the interior of the state on portions of US 441 and US 27 but this time of year it is hot and humid and doesn't really look or feel much different than Southern Alabama.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

I can't help you with your trip, But I can WELCOME you to the forum. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
331 is not bad. But, I would take hwy 31. Exit I-65 at exit 164 (Hope Hull). 31 runs parallel to I-65 and good road. Coming out of Georgiana it's 4 lane and becomes Hwy 55. Don't worry 31 turns off and I have missed that turn to stay on 31 several times. Follow 55 though Andalusia and on down to Florala. Take 85 all the way to Ft. Walton Beach and then go east on 98 though Destin to Mirramar. Easy riding about 4 hours. Nothing to see here, please keep moving. Traffic will be bad in June from Ft. Walton thru Destin. 4 lane but slow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the welcome/assistance. War Eagle Wing, your recommended route is almost what my Garmin displayed. That pretty much settles it for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My apologies, I just now figured out you meant Miramar Beach (Panhandle near Fort Walton Beach) rather than Miramar (Greater Miami area).

While in Alabama please consider visiting Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum http://www.barbermuseum.org

·
Registered
874 Posts
Been stalking here for a couple of years, thought I'd join and say hi (OK, I admit, I have a question). I have an '04 GL1800 Titanium and love it. Had an '82 Aspencade before (nice bike but can't compare to this Wing). I also have a '71 CB350 and a '70 CT70.This board has been a treasure trove of information! There are some very smart people here and I've learned a lot.
Now for the question. We're going to Miramar Beach, Florida next month. Gonna take the big road to Montgomery, AL, but need the best route from there. I have looked at 3 different map programs and they all give a different route. Any help will be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum and lets see some pix of those other bikes! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts