GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked out the passenger armrest and the CB install. Now, w/o starting WW3 can anyone sell me on a particular brand of armrest and a CB? I'm leaning towards the Kury armrest but a little apprehensive towards the HDL CB, seems $$ for only a mile or two reception. Am I way off base here? God bless, JD

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have no experience in the CB realm, but if someone doesn't offer up some opinion soon, I'm sure you can find some past threads that provide some good info.

As for passenger armrests, I can give an opinion being that I just bought a set. I approached the process from the standpoint of how I wanted the armrests to mount to the bike. In that regard, most either bolt onto the trunk or the handholds. I preferred the hand-hold mount because they seemed to be a more solid brace point and you don't have to swing them out to open the trunk. I selected the Big Bike (Show Chrome) armrests. They aren't the prettiest of the bunch, but they are solid and the chrome seems well finished. Also, the armrest pads are quite cushy. My SO has only sat on the bike once (I just put them on this week), but preliminary reports are positive. ;)

I'd be glad to let you know what she feels after this weekend, if you still haven't decided. However, I'm sure you will be getting plenty of info from others in the forum.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The cb will only reach a couple of miles if that. The poor range is due to the small ground plane of the bike. It's is great if you ride with others and want to talk not so good if you want traffic reports from truckers. HDL has probably the cheapest price on it but you can find take offs from wrecks on Ebay for maybe another hundred less. I have never seen a cb sell for a reasonable price anywhere. I have the Khromewerks armrest and would recommend them. They bolt to the seat and are rock solid and seem to have good chrome. If you buy them order extra bolts and washers as they will wear out. I have had mine for four years and are happy with them.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
I bought the arm rests that mount to the frame. I just felt better about them. I could picture someone grabbing a hold of the trunk mounted ones and breaking them off. As for CBs, I bought a used one from someone. It worked for about a year then would not transmit clearly. Then I did what I should have done in the first place. I bought a new one from Hal during one of his sales. Works great. I think you will find almost as many answers as there are members so I guess it is more personal preference.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Buy the cb from hal and they are easy to install. I had someone do it for me as i cannot even change oil. thats my next learning curve.

I bought the kury arm rests that attach to the trunk. They were installed last year and so far there has been no problem with them. The only thing is that they have to be spread open to open the trunk fully. IMHO they look better than the square boxy type that attach to the passenger handles.
I have had no problem with the chrome as of yet and my SO really likes them as they also come with a cup holder that tucks away nicely

·
Registered
821 Posts
I like the Honda line armrest that mount onto the speaker grills. They look like part of the bike instead of a bolt on item. Wife likes them better than the ones that swing out. They stay in place at all times. I didn't like the swing out type on my last bike because the wife used them to to put her weight on when she would change positions on the bike and they would bend the brackets. They would also swing out while I was riding. I had to tighten them up all the time.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If I had it to do over again, I would not install a CB. When we ride with others, there is so much chatter that I turn it off and if trying to get road conditions/traffic from truckers/cagers, it is just about useless. If you like to talk, then maybe it is the thing for you.
Arm rests are a must for your SO, but looks, mounting, etc. are up to you and how much you want to spend. We have the BigBike ones and ike them but there are better looking items out there.

·
Registered
948 Posts
As for the CB, the Hondaline is very $ but it works very well with the GW audio system. If you ride with a group, it is very handy.

We have had the Kury armrests and we got tired of having to swing it out everytime to open the trunk. Also, my wife wanted a pouch for her "stuff" and it was not real easy to put one on it. So, I sold it and got the Big Bike model. It works well, and you've read other comments on it. She now has her pouch on the left and her Butler Cup on the right, and likes it just fine, and I don't have to swing the arms out to open the trunk.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Ummm well no cb here lol, and the wifey said she likes the factory arm rest just fine, and to please not add those long one's on, they look like they might get in the way, from what I have read the cb is kinda pricey, good luck in your search !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts